Latest post Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:59 PM by George Angeludis. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:03 PM

• gpfan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 21 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Avid Media Composer (PC) software hangs on exit

MC Version - 4.0.4

OS - XP Professional 32 bit

Memory - 4GB

CPU - Intel Core i7 940

Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4870

Hi All,

This is my first post on this board, so please excuse me if I overlook any information that should be posted here. I've been working with Avid Media Composer for a month or so now, for training purposes. Everything seems to work fine with the exception that the program hangs upon exit.

By "hang" i mean that, I select file>exit and all windows and bins close with the exception of the main program window. The Windows hourglass shows up, and that's basically it. Unless I go into Windows Task Manager, I cannot exit the program. Once I open Windows Task Manager there are two instances of Avid Media Composer listed, both are "not responding". Once I select "end task" for one, both close. This happens even if I open Media Composer, decide not to open/start a project and then try to exit.

I have tried uninstalling version 4.0.3. and reinstalling version 4.0.4 - the problem existed in both. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing by video cards drivers.

Any help, suggestions, work arounds or ideas would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid Media Composer (PC) software hangs on exit

gpfan,

First, the ATI card isnt a supported graphics card.  This means that Avid didnt test it so we have no idea how it will perform of affect the system. 

Also you didnt mention what version of QT you are running.  You should be on 7.6.2 with MC 4.0.2 nd 7.6.4 with 4.0.3 or 4.0.4.

How much memory do you have allocated?   How many bins are open and are you in SD or HD?

Somethign to try.... if this is a lack of memory issue.

Windows XP limits every program to 2 gigabytes (GB) of address space. It reserves the remaining 2 gigabytes for its own use. Avid provides a utility for setting the boot-time mechanism to extend the process address space.

Setting the Avid editing system to access a larger virtual address space might improve working with HD projects without running out of memory or prevent performance issues. Even though you might gain more memory space, this can be quickly consumed with bins and complex HD effects.

Anyone else have any idea's?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• CreativeControl
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 10 2007
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 410
    • Points 5,190

I had that problem and it was the graphics card setting.  Mine is an Nvidia though so I'm not sure if there is a similar setting.  I had to turn off "Thread Optimization".  I'd check for something similar in the ATI settings.

2 MC4.0.5 systems, both self built Intel Quad Core PC's. Asus P5n32-e motherboards. One with NV GTX 470 - 275.33 drivers and one with NV 7800GT card... [view my complete system specs]

Editor/Shooter/Animator - www.creativecontrol.ca

WWII Aviation Artist - www.actionart.ca

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,606
    • Points 223,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Good idea creative....  

I forgot about that one..... 

If that is in fact it... report back.  I will have a tech note created for the Knowledge Base so this is somethign easiy found.

Report back either way though. 

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

• gpfan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thanks Marianna and Creative. I'll try your suggestions and report back. I appreciate the help.

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 6:07 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

How many monitors are You using? Do You run in Full Screen Playback mode?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 7:56 PM In reply to

• gpfan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Hi All,

I'm still having the problem, but I'd like to answer some of the questions you asked and let you know what I've tried.

I'm working in SD, I'm only using one small bin and actually just playing around with small files for training purposes. I've upgraded to QT 7.6.5, though I was using 7.6.2. prior to Marianna's first message. I'm only using my computer monitor at the moment and not running full screen mode. As far as memory allocation goes, I've included a jpeg below.

As far as what I've tried... I've upgraded to QT 7.6.5. and used the Avid Utility to set the boot-time mechanism to extend the process address space. So far, I don't think ATI has a setting that is the same as NVidia's "Thread Optimization" - but I'm continuing to check into that and I'm hoping to turn something up there.

Thanks again for all the help. If I find it's a setting with the graphics card, I'll post the info here.

Dan

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:33 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

gpfan, I see that You have just  joined the forum, welcome aboard, You couldn't have had a better start than being taken care of by Marianna anyway. The easy answer to Your problem is that the video card is at fault, that being said I would try a forum search for Ati or Radeon, someone may have already posted relevant tips. Googling for Avid and Ati may be useful too. The easiest answer would be a buy a Quadro card, but don't give up before having tried everything You could possibly think of, like installing a different release of the Ati drivers for example.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:59 PM In reply to

• gpfan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Thanks Marianna, Luca and Creative.

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 12:07 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

My pleasure, and keep us all informed.

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:38 PM In reply to

• Jpere
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2005
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

CreativeControl:

I had that problem and it was the graphics card setting.  Mine is an Nvidia though so I'm not sure if there is a similar setting.  I had to turn off "Thread Optimization".  I'd check for something similar in the ATI settings.

Having similar memory issues, and would like to turn off "THREAD OPTIMIZATION", been searching all over for how to do this on a mac? Can't find an answer. How did you do it?

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Thanks for your help, right now I'm not getting any work done, just clicking error boxes.

JP

My Specs:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3386

Displays:

DELL 2005FPW:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

DELL 2405FPW:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Avid Xpress Pro 4.8 OS 10.4.2 Dual 1Ghrz G4 1.25 GB memory [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 9 2010 1:59 PM In reply to

You have to go to the 3D Settings of the Nvidia Panel.

This can be done on a PC by right clicking on the desktop and choose Nvidia Panel.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller