Latest post Tue, May 2 2017 6:37 PM by chuckkahn. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:20 PM

• john_john
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 20 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Open an STL(EBU) file in avid

Hello everyone,

I have a serious problem moving from my old mechanism(which works with PAC and STL files) to Avid.

Can i open an STL(EBU) file in avid?(with the original font and locations from the STL file)

Can i convert an STL(EBU) file to AVB? or at least convert the STL into XML file and then open it in Avid?(with the same font&locations)

Thanks,

John

• Wed, Jan 20 2010 9:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,717
    • Points 113,660
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Open an STL(EBU) file in avid

John....

There are lots and lots of tools to convert files so they are read by SubCap whihc is a feature since MC 3.0.

Take a look at this http://community.avid.com/blogs/training/archive/2008/08/19/avid-subcap-generator.aspx

That should answer a lot of your questions.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 10:02 AM In reply to

• cairofilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 23 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hi Marianna - I am trying to use the Subcap generator - but i cannot find a program that would allow me to make a .stl file. I don't know if you have any advice about which common programs to use.

I tried subtitle workshop, but while this seems to create a .stl file, avid will not recognize it.

thanks for the advice.

petr.

• Tue, May 2 2017 6:37 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 268
    • Points 2,985

So the STL format doesn't store any formatting information?  (font, colour, drop-shadow, etc)  Is it just the same information as the DS Caption export txt file?   I can read the txt file but the unreadability of the .stl file in a text editor suggested that it was more than just text and timecode in and out?  I thought the advantage of preparing subtitles in Avid with the SubCap effect was that I'd be able to export subtitles the way and OMF or AAF exports audio to a sound editor and allows them to recreate what I did in the Avid with all the formatting.  Is there a subtitle export format that does this?

Avid Media Composer 6.0.5.1 / Mac OS 10.7.5 / Mac Pro / 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon / 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller