Latest post Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:19 PM by maryd. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:48 PM

• cberdoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 4 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Roll question

Is there a way to confine a roll effect to only one layer? By that I mean have one layer do the roll but the other layers in the composition stay still. Usually when you do a roll effect in a sequence it rolls all the layers.

The effect I am trying to acheive is to have a credit scroll. As it goes up it fades away instead of just rolling straight up off the top of the screen. The way I thought to do this was to use the keyhole shader applied to a blank layer with a face blur at the top of the screen. Is there a different way I can do this effect?

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 2:18 PM In reply to

• ph.dess
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 9 2009
    • Paris
    • Posts 11
    • Points 150

Re: Roll question

Hi,

If you got the dekoobjex option you can do it easy. Do you got it ?

• Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:19 PM In reply to

• cberdoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 4 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Unfortunately I forgot to mention I need the final product to be rendered to a quicktime movie. We have a few dekos, one for live playback and one for pre-prod, and I use the pre-prod deko as a backup animator to the after effects animators. I just checked and we don't have objex. We don't really need it for our broadcast.

Actually, I just made a fake roll using motion and it works nicely.

• Mon, Feb 1 2010 2:47 AM In reply to

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

I've found rolls to be very limited on the Deko.  You could perhaps put the roll into a sequence, then render that out to an AVI/MOV using the 'make dekomovie' option - be sure to disable the 'Do not generate key' option. 

Import the newly rendered clip into your Deko clip editor, then to get the roll to fade out as it approaches the top of screen you'd need to apply a mask to the clip (so the clip will have its own key+fill, plus an applied mask).  The mask would obviously have to be a gradient that fades from white to black.

• Fri, Feb 5 2010 6:19 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

A roll can be confined to the boundaries of the layer by clicking on the Options tab in the Effect menu and selecting In Layer.  To make a soft edge you would need to create a clip that will mask the layer.  The clip can be either a bgd clip or a layer clip.  Reorder the priority so that the CG plane is behind the other planes.  To do that, set focus to Program, click on the CG button on the top right and drag it to the right. Be sure to watch for the indication that you can drop it - you need to be fairly precise in the spot it is dragged to. 

Also if you use this feature you must be sure to move the CG plane back to the left before playing any standard graphics.  Otherwise the CG will be hidden behind any clip, objex or video plane.

It is possible to make a macro to enable, disable and move these icons using the Learn Macro function.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller