Latest post Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:12 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:21 PM

• LPG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 9 2005
    • Venice, CA
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,460

Batch Importing a Digitized XDCAM Clip

Hi All,

Being new to XDCAM, we digitized, grouped, subclipped and edited the pilot of a reality show the old fashioned way; digitizing the XDCAMs instead of importing. Now that I fully understand the capabilities of the technology, we're going to be importing the XDCAMs for the next 8 episodes.

Since some footage from the pilot will be used in other episodes, I would like to recapture all the footage via importing instead of digitizing. I was hoping there was an easy solution to do this, but nothing I've tried has been working.

Is there any possible way to take a digitized XDCAM master clip, delete the media, and batch import it at the lo-res proxy version?

Things I've tried and failed:

-Importing a full XDCAM, deleting old media, relinking to new imported media. Failed because relink looks at the start timecode of the media and the start timecode between the two clips is different.

-Modifying clip to give it a disc label. For some reason it won't change the disc label after I click ok, the field remains blank.

-Batch importing a digitized clip without worrying about the clip having a disc label by clicking batch import and selecting its exact location on the XDCAM disc. This almost works. It imports the media but it's not the proxy media, it's the high quality HD media. I have gone into the XDCAM import settings and unchecked "Batch Import High-resolution video", but it still imports the HD media instead of the proxy.

This is probably quite a complicated problem without an easy solution, but if anyone can help me troubleshoot this it would be absolutely tremendous help.

-LPG

• Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:35 PM In reply to

Re: Batch Importing a Digitized XDCAM Clip

I would do a new import of proxies for all the pilots disks with labels the same as or very close to the same as the original capture disk name.

Open the bins with the pilots groups and subclips and the pilots timeline. Then when I needed a shot from the pilot get the Disk name and timecode from those bins and find the proxie that matches.

If you are going to delete all the original pilots media do a low res mixdown and put it on the top empty track of the final sequences timeline as a visual guide

• Thu, Jan 7 2010 8:10 PM In reply to

• LPG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 9 2005
    • Venice, CA
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,460

Thank you Andrew. If I were the only one working on the project I wouldn't mind doing that, but coordinating 10 editors & story producers to find and use the new imported material would be painful.

• Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:12 PM In reply to

Did you capture the original disks as one long clip?

If so another posibility, still painful tho, would be to capture the proxies for each disk into its own bin and label the bin with the disk label.

Have an editor then duplicate the pilots timeline. Then step through the timeline match framing each clip to original source. Using these TC's to quickly locate the proxie clips abd mark in points. Edit these into the timeline. Boring for the editor but would probably take less than 8 hours for a commercial hour sequence.

Decompose that sequence if you want a bin with just the relevant proxie clips.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller