Latest post Sun, Jan 10 2010 9:07 AM by tonyjover. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:13 PM

• michpin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 27 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 50

Upgrade without Avid hardware

Hi,

i have a 8.4 DS nitris on Xw8200, can i upgrade only the software to the last version using the assurance contract and buy myself the new hardware from Hp, and Aja?

Is possible that the Aja cards do not function correctly with DS if is buyed directly fro Aja and not from Avid?

Thank you.

• Mon, Dec 28 2009 3:09 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

Re: Upgrade without Avid hardware

I suppose, in theory you could.  But I don't believe Avid would provide hardware technical support for that system, nor should they.  If you have any type of problem, you are kinda screwed.  It's a bit like jumping over dollars to pick up pennies, IMHO.

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:32 PM In reply to

Also, they will not license your DS for the Dual Link hardware without purchasing it FROM Avid. 

This is why DS is largely sold as a turnkey system.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:08 PM In reply to

• mhollis
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 260

As to the AJA Dual-Link systems, Avid specifically licenses their software to something on that card, so the only way you can get AJA support with Avid's DS is to buy the card from Avid (others have tried and noted it does not work). 

And your license for DS could get mangled, as Avid serializes DS for use with specific hardware, so if, for example, your xw8200 had a really bad incident, you'd need to call Avid to let them know that you were replacing your CPU and that you needed a license to be attached to your new CPU (seriously, I have seen personal computers catch fire and they don't tend to survive after that). Avid is pretty good about allowing you to do a simple CPU replacement, I believe.

But if you have DS 8.4 and you want AJA and one of the new z - series HP systems, your best bet would be to talk to your reseller and do an upgrade. There are a number of things DS version 10 does that 8.4 doesn't do and, depending on your client base, you might find the upgrade absolutely wonderful. 

There are specific workflows that will allow DS version 10 to ingest P2 files. In three steps, you could use the free MC software that comes with DS 10 and save yourself the rental cost of a Panasonic AJ-HD1400 and the tapes needed to do a large project. Or, if you all ready own the AJ-HD-1400, the P2 workflow though MC will free that VCR up for other opportunities.

DS Version 10 fully supports Nitris. You would want to retain your xw8200 -- the xw8400 is the last HP workstation that supports the Nitris BoB. There is information about what you get with DS Version 10 as well as what you get with AJA v Nitris as well as issues with Version 10 (especially earlier versions) on the Wiki.

If you are considering an upgrade, it's worthwhile to read as much as you can get on it. One additional factor is that DS version 10 has faster indexing than previous versions.

Every facility is different and every client base has its own issues. I would try to look at an overview of my clients' needs and mesh that with my understanding of what the upgrade. As with any upgrade of a DS, you'll want to archive all of your projects and do a tape archive of all media you intend to continue to use, as a tape archive is the only way to ensure that you will continue to be compatible across versions. If you have projects that need multiple tapes, there is a workflow that allows you to get around the DS's limitations in that area.

Filed under: , , ,
  • Sun, Jan 10 2010 9:07 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,600
    • Moderator: Avid DS

mhollis:

As to the AJA Dual-Link systems, Avid specifically licenses their software to something on that card, so the only way you can get AJA support with Avid's DS is to buy the card from Avid (others have tried and noted it does not work). 

That bold bit is completely untrue.  I do wish folk who aren't sure about something wouldn't take guesses at the answer.

Quite simply, if you don't buy an AJA system through Avid you won't get a license from them to make the AJA work with DS. 

There is nothing special about the AJA card. 
    There is nothing 'tied to' the AJA card.
    There is no magic. 

Buy a card from Avid and they'll give you a Dual-Link license.  Buy your own card and they won't. (Unless you pay them for the upgrade, which includes the card, so you might as well have bought it from them in the first place.)

Tony

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller