Latest post Sun, Dec 27 2009 9:02 AM by il_editore. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 26 2009 10:23 PM

• il_editore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 22 2006
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 440

digitizing HDCAM tapes as DNxHD

What's the minimum system requirement for doing this process?  Our dailies will be shot 35mm, then picture-only (complete neg rolls) telecined to HDCAM.  We'll then digitize the HDCAM tapes as DNxHD and sync up the audio in the cutting room using the files from a DEVA, which we'll get on DVD-R.  Those new auto-sync clips will be what the editors will cut with.  When we're done cutting, we want to output (render) DNxHD files to be transferred to D5 for color correction and layback of the mix.  All post sound work will be done from 23.98 QuickTime files.

I'm trying to figure the minimum system requirements for 2 editors and 3 assistants.  One assistant will need to have a machine equipped to digitize HDCAM as DNxHD at 23.98, the other machines don't even need tape decks attached and only need to be able to cut in DNxHD.

Terry Kelley, ACE

Santa Monica, CA

27" iMac with Quad-Core 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 1024 MB, Mac OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]

il_editore

Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Dec 27 2009 1:29 AM In reply to

Re: digitizing HDCAM tapes as DNxHD

You need Media Composer with a NitrisDX box for capturing and the other systems could be run as Media Composer software only.  Your local reseller should be able to help you with the hardware setup etc. The number of systems depend on whether you'll have the 2 editors and 3 assistants working simultaneously or in split-shifts etc. 

Refer to the qualified systems list for approved MacPro systems.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Dec 27 2009 9:02 AM In reply to

• il_editore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 22 2006
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 440

Re: digitizing HDCAM tapes as DNxHD

Thanks Kenton, that's exactly what I needed to know.

27" iMac with Quad-Core 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 1024 MB, Mac OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]

il_editore

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller