Latest post Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:08 PM by Daniel Frome. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:12 PM

• nairolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Subcap Avid DS txt import not working

I' working on MC 3.0.5

When I put a Subcap effect on (in my case V2) and try to import an Avid DS text file via "import caption data", it tells me the exact start and end time of the subtitles in the Selected File boxes and it tells me, that all cations will be spliced in, but when I hit Open, it doesn't do anything. That is really weird.

I only found one entry in the internet of another guy who had the same problem. he was working on MC 4.0. There was no answer to his post. Hope this more successful.

I tried saving the text file in unicode, ANSI, big endian and UTF-8, no success.

Does anyone know, what I can do?

desperate greetings

Olaf Nairolf

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:30 PM In reply to

• GeorgeD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,555

Re: Subcap Avid DS txt import not working

Olaf, that is usually because there are overlapping timecodes somewhere in the list. The trick is how to find them. Make a copy and cut out the second half, then see if you can import it. If not cut out the half again until you cut it down where you can see the invalid timecodes and correct them. Something like that... you have to play timecode detective....

• Fri, Dec 18 2009 3:12 AM In reply to

• nairolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

thank you very much for your fast answer.

I actually converted the subtitle file to avid DS format in Subtitle Workshop with a selfmade script. I just figured out, that this fu... stupid program only outputs unusable timecodes with milliseconds instead of frames. I really have no clue, what sense this does make.

anyway, as I fixing the timecodes, everything is working well. thanks alot.

AT AVID: PLEASE INSERT AN ERROR MESSAGE, WHEN THERE IS AN ERROR! THNX 

cheers

Olaf

• Wed, Dec 15 2010 1:45 PM In reply to

• 3cGmbH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 15 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

hi olaf,

could you precise your method of "fixing the timescodes"?

We try to export a stl-file with a customized style, as well, but Avid won't read it at all. It says "No captions from the source file overlap the selected clip". But TC-settings made in Subtitle Workshop do match the timeline.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yours,

Andreas

• Thu, Mar 31 2011 7:39 PM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 38
    • Points 440

For what it's worth, I've also found that SubCap won't successfully import a Avid DS txt file full of captions that don't overlap --if the captions in that file aren't in order. So however you're generating your txt file, be sure to sort the captions by timecode.

Media Composer 2018.4.0 OS X 10.13.3 Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz 8-Core 128Gb RAM D700 GPU [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:08 PM In reply to

Hi Zach - 

I am having a similar issue as you.  Did you ever get the subcap generator to actually import the DS file?  If so, can you expand on the nuances to get this working?  Having no luck on my end...

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller