Latest post Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:19 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:10 PM

• Snowball
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 20 2006
    • York, UK
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,270

Help! Edited in SD project when should have been HD - can I convert?

H All,

I am currently teaching post at a film school; students using MC 3.11.

Students have imported HD QT movs in to a standard def project, edited and have completed their films.  Problem is the final cuts are supposed to be in HD 1080 (25p).

Is there any way to link their bins, or sequences, to the original source media in an HD project - or do they need to re-import and edit from scratch?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Chris.

iMac 3.4GH i7 27" OSX 10.8.2 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB MC7.0 and me old.. XP Pro SP2 MC v3.5 QT v7.4.5.67 HP xw8200; 2gb RAM; Intel... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:16 PM In reply to

Re: Help! Edited in SD project when should have been HD - can I convert?

Flip the project type to HD 25p, and batch import the source clips. No need to re-edit, you will just be re-filling the master clips, so any sequence made from those original clips will now refer to that content.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:45 PM In reply to

• Snowball
    • Not Ranked
    • York, UK
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,270

Brilliant!  We actually managed to figure it out but we unmounted the hard drive first so everything went offline.

I presume from your response that we didn't need to do that?

iMac 3.4GH i7 27" OSX 10.8.2 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB MC7.0 and me old.. XP Pro SP2 MC v3.5 QT v7.4.5.67 HP xw8200; 2gb RAM; Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 1:13 AM In reply to

Snowball:
    I am currently teaching post at a film school

I know that a teacher can't know everything there is to know, but something like the answer that Job gave I would think someone teaching how to use Avid would know.  Batch Import has been around forever, switching project formats has been around since at least MC v2, I think. 

My comments are not intended to offend and giving the benefit of doubt - (perhaps there are other reasons for you not knowing this), but it does make me curious.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• Snowball
    • Not Ranked
    • York, UK
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,270

Thank you, Kenton, for your rather flippant comment.

I am well aware of batch capture, and format coversion in project but in three years of professional editing I have never had to convert a project in which all the footage had been imported in the wrong format

At the time of posting there were two tutors in the room; myself and a colleague, senior to me and with over 15 years as a professional editor with numerous broadcast series and features to his name including Roman Polanski's 'Oliver'.  And he'd never had to do this before.

Being professionals we manage our media correctly, students, however and because they are learning, don't and so throw up lots of problems which ordinarily wouldn't occur.

We solved the problem in 10 minutes, during which time I had posted the problem to the forum because I know how swift responses can be and the students had an important deadline looming upon them.

Perhaps your time spent on this forum would be better spent helping solve problems rather than demanding to know why people don't know what you think they should and criticising other users professionalism - especially when commenting on an area about which you are clearly ingnorant; education.

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 4:42 PM In reply to

Snowball:
    in three years of professional editing I have never had to convert a project in which all the footage had been imported in the wrong format

The process for Batch Importing to Up-Res would work the same whether the footage was imported at low-res accidentally or intentionally.  For example, when using Stock Footage comps they are always low-res.  When the cut is approved, the producer purchases the appropriate hi-res versions and the editor would Batch Import the clips.  Same thing for temp/comp graphics, wireframes etc.  

Snowball:
    Perhaps your time spent on this forum would be better spent helping solve problems rather than demanding to know why people don't know what you think they should and criticising other users professionalism - especially when commenting on an area about which you are clearly ingnorant; education.

I never demanded to know... just said I was curious about the circumstances.  

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:57 PM In reply to

Snowball:

We actually managed to figure it out but we unmounted the hard drive first so everything went offline.

I presume from your response that we didn't need to do that?

Nope. Batch Import, like Batch Capture, will ask you whether it needs to reimport only offline items, or all selected items. However, by removing the SD clips, you make sure they are not deleted, so you still have the SD clips available for relink if you wanted to.

Batch Import is basically the equivalent of Batch Capture / Batch Digitise, which you can use to "online" or "up-rez" a sequence after locking the offline cut, for example. As long as the frame rate matches, you can batch capture or batch import HD if the sequence was cut in SD (or vice versa, if you would somehow feel the need for that).

I sort of agree with Kenton that it is a pretty basic editing feature in Avid, which should likely be taught to students, but it is typiclly a feature used by those that use offline and online steps. Lots of feature / offline editors will see nothing but 14:1p or DV25 SD media, and will never need to uprez/batch import/batch capture.

I also would like to point out that editing classes are not always being taught by those knowing all the ins and outs about the machines, but all the more about the art/craft of editing. I know fabulous editors that are not too technical, and I know technical virtuosos that cannot properly cut a scene. And I'm pretty sure that lessons about the art and craft of editing, given by experienced professionals are more scarce than operating instructions.

Then there's the phenomenon of the unknown features. About 8 years ago, someone asked me why he was not able to change the order of shots by dragging them. Turned out that in more than 5 years of Avid editing (and a lot of film & video editing before that), no one had ever told him about yellow segment mode. Just the other day, someone on this forum accidently discovered "Set AudioSuite In-Out", that he did not know about. And I recently found out that hitting the '.' on the numerical keypad gives you '00'. Would have loved to know that years ago.

And lastly, I think that movie is actually named "Oliver Twist". :P

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:19 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    it is a pretty basic editing feature in Avid, which should likely be taught to students, but it is typiclly a feature used by those that use offline and online steps. Lots of feature / offline editors will (edited) never need to uprez/batch import/batch capture.

Case in point:

I created an After Effects graphic yesterday and made a typo.  Today, I made the fix and re-rendered the Comp.

I selected the sequence, chose Batch Import>All Clips, (skipping all but the one I needed to change), pointed the Avid to the new fixed file and hit Import.  The sequence was updated.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller