Latest post Thu, Dec 3 2009 9:03 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:25 PM

• djdbennett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 27 2009
    • Surrey, England
    • Posts 45
    • Points 535

Interesting Challenge - but which format to film in!

Hi all,

I'm hoping the collective brain power available to us here can help me out a bit.

A good client is going to a trade show for four days.  They are thinking of hiring a video booth to capture the thoughts of people as they come on the stand.

As I've worked with them before they are keen to use me instead; I went large on the advantages of having a real live person capturing which I won't bore you with.  We all now people are better than machines right!!!

So - my problem now is to deliver on the confident promises made on the phone.  They want me to film the clips and then rapidly edit them and pump them out to digital signage so there is a good dynamic turnaround of clips throughout the show.

I'm happy with the edit and encode but my issue is what to film with.  My bread and butter filming is still tape based on a Z1.  For home use I use the dreaded AVCHD; one with a Sony hard disk and one with a Pana SDHC card.

I could just use the Sony as it is just about up to the simple task I am giving it but then my workflow will be in Final Cut Express.  That's fine for my home movies but I'm very slow in it and have no desire to get proficient in it.  I want to be working in Media Composer and Squeeze here.

So - given I have budget to hire a camera does anyone have any advice on what tapeless format to go for?  I'm guessing P2?  Will my Macbook Pro (2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo/4GB Ram/GeForce8600M GT) suffice?

Any advice gratefully received.  Should be a really hectic but great fun job I think!

David.

Mac Pro 8 core, Macbook Pro 17", MediaComposer4.0, Ye Olde Analogue Mojo. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 3 2009 9:03 PM In reply to

Re: Interesting Challenge - but which format to film in!

XDCAM EX format works great with Avid in AMA mode or through Clip Browser workflow.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller