Latest post Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:32 AM by Phillisp. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:08 PM

• markus70
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 23
    • Points 305

Quicktime reference files and Avid AMA v.4.0

Call me crazy, but I am almost positive that I was able to export Quicktime reference files from P2 media in version 3.5 even though it was accessed via AMA. Now in version 4.0 I get the message that Quicktime reference files cannot be performed on clips linked via AMA. Is there a setting that I might be missing that will allow me to do this in version 4.0?

Media Composer | Software (7.0.4) w/Symphony option Mac OS X 10.7.5 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Avid Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:38 AM In reply to

Re: Quicktime reference files and Avid AMA v.4.0

you know, I'm not on MC 4.x yet, but it seems that with each software upgrade, QT Ref recedes farther into the past with regard to dependability and functionality.  I remember with fondness my OS9 QT Ref files sometimes.  I do understand that today's timelines are doing so much more... from so many media locations on each system. That could be part of that issue.

2 systems: Mobile: 16-inch Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core i9 w/64 gig RAM, 2TB SSD, OS 10.15.3 running MC 2020 Beta Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 19 2009 6:53 PM In reply to

• spejampar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 3 2008
    • Evanston, IL
    • Posts 38
    • Points 460

I'm having this problem too, but with XD footage.  I'd like to make a quicktime reference to put into sorenson squeeze but if I can't make a quicktime reference (or quicktime or WMV) directly out of the avid from the linked AMA files, what's the point?!

Spencer

• Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:32 PM In reply to

spejampar:
    I'm having this problem too, but with XD footage

XDCam footage is a different case altogether than P2, XDcam is LongGOP.  No LongGOP media can be exported via QTref.

spejampar:
    what's the point?!

The point of AMA is that without it you'd be importing all of your footage before you could start editing, now you can start editing right away.  When you've got your edit, you can either Import/Consolidate/Transcode the clips used into an Avid DNx codec, do a Video Mixdown or export a non-ref QT movie

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:07 PM In reply to

• markus70
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 23
    • Points 305

I understand the advantages of instant editing with AMA, my question was why I was able to export QT references in version 3.5 and since upgrading to 4.0 I no longer can. In my workflow I like to quickly export reference files for Squeeze or for After Effects.

Media Composer | Software (7.0.4) w/Symphony option Mac OS X 10.7.5 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Avid Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:11 PM In reply to

markus, you have a legitimate concern about functionality that existed in a previous verison but no longer does in the current version.  I don't know the reason or answer myself, but am interested.  

I was mostly responding to Spencer who is working with XDcam footage and asked "what's the point?"

• Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:22 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I've bumped this up to Engineering and they will look into it ASAP. I'll keep you posted if and when I hear anything.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:54 PM In reply to

• ronjohn
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,040

Is there any way to transcode only your XDCAM EX files linked with AMA that you used in a sequence so that you can do a QuickTime reference export?

1 - Nitris DX, Symphony 6.0.1.1, MacPro 2 X 2.93 GHz Quad Core, 8 Gig Ram, OSX 10.7.5, QT 7.6.6, ---- 2 - SDI Mojo, MC 3.1.3, Mac G5 2.5GHz Quad, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:04 PM In reply to

Sure, you can either Transcode the source clips or the Sequence.  Or you could just do a Video Mixdown of the Sequence.  

• Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• ronjohn
    • Not Ranked
    • Salt Lake City
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,040

I am revising a show that is mostly 1:1. New footage is pieces of XDCAM EX throughout the show. So I guess I could transcode entire clips used in the sequence, take them offline and relink the newly transcoded footage? Is this the best workflow for only replacing those shots that I used from XDCAM EX?

1 - Nitris DX, Symphony 6.0.1.1, MacPro 2 X 2.93 GHz Quad Core, 8 Gig Ram, OSX 10.7.5, QT 7.6.6, ---- 2 - SDI Mojo, MC 3.1.3, Mac G5 2.5GHz Quad, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:37 PM In reply to

Why don't you just do a Video Mixdown at 1:1?  

or move the seq to it's own Bin, choose Show Reference Clips in the Bin Display settings, sort by Resolution and Transcode any of the native XDcam stuff.  

Or select the Sequence and choose Transcode and choose "Skip Media already on drive"  I believe anything that exists as the Target res will be skipped.   

• Fri, Oct 29 2010 4:03 AM In reply to

• Phillisp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 28 2010
    • Montreal, New York
    • Posts 23
    • Points 215

Some kind of working in the back export manager would make ama workflow sooo nice especially for long outputs considering that there is so much CPU power sitting, waiting to be used by avid. :)

is there wish list for media composer somewhere?

• Fri, Oct 29 2010 6:45 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Avid Product Feature Requests forum.  Here: http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:32 AM In reply to

• Phillisp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 28 2010
    • Montreal, New York
    • Posts 23
    • Points 215

hehe thanks, now lets fill that boxe. XD

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller