Latest post Sat, Nov 14 2009 3:43 AM by jwrl. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:56 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

upgrading

Hey I am just wondering if this is a good idea or not. I just bought a G-Tech G-Speed eS PRO 8TB external raid and it wont work with my current OS. This isn't good because I want to transfer media from my internal raid to the new G-Speed one and now I can't. One solution is to upgrade my OS from Win XP 32bit to Win Vista 64bit. Apparently Win XP 32bit can only handle up to 2TBs. I am worried about doing this OS switch because when you change something as important as an OS usually something will go wrong. I have the newest version of MC so i know it will be ok on that side of things.

So I guess what I want to know is if anyone can see potential problems with doing this OS change. Any foresight and or warnings are much appreciated.

thanks. 

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 14 2009 3:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,390
    • Points 97,050

Re: upgrading

I run MC4 on three systems, one on Vista 64, one on Vista 32, and one on XP 32.  They all work as they should so if that's the nature of your question, don't worry.

However what I suspect that you really want to know is whether there is any risk of losing projects.  What you should do for safety is back up your projects to either your internal RAID or to a thumb drive.  Then do a clean install of Vista.  I know that you can just upgrade, but a clean install is advisable because it will remove all of the junk that's accumulated on your system over the years.

Now install Avid and any other software tools that you use.  You can then copy your projects back.  They will need to go into (from memory here - I'm at home) "C:\Users\user\Documents\Avid Projects".  If in any doubt, launch MC and create a dummy project and quit.  Then search for the dummy project name and open the containing folder.  Copy your existing projects there and delete the dummy.  Then launch MC and continue work.

And you'll wonder how you managed before 64-bit came along.

Oh, and when you upgrade to 64-bit, double your memory.  It'll be worth it.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller