Latest post Thu, Sep 11 2014 1:05 AM by Thomas Vickers. 126 replies.
Page 6 of 9 (127 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 8:18 AM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 22 2008
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

Re: It´s not 1995 anymore.

Hi Andrew,

i tested the workaround, but maybe i am doing something wrong. 

1. I have a Text Layer and oi apply AvidFX

2. i go to Avidfx 

3. i apply the blur and it´s bluring forground and background together? 

same happens if i just apply the "add", it applies it to both FG and BG.

Where can i select only the forground??? 

Can you help me over this step.... i don´t understand why allways FG and BG are effected ....

this does male no sense ..... [:'(]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Avid MC 7.0.4 /// MacBooks pro early... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 8:44 AM In reply to

A while back I finished a Sci-Fi series "Hyperdrive" on an EOL Meridian system with hundreds of shots  of "airscreens" projected into an area above the bridge using DMN transfer to get blending modes, a free plug-in.
    All the bluescreen shots were comped from 16mm film with Ultimatte.
    (No, Spectramatte does not even come close, let alone Keylight.)

That functionality is now lost.

There was a time when Jef would pop up now on the forum and say "got keylight and Ultimatte on my DS as well as 2K etc." and we could sigh and think ah well, at least Avid have that covered in their finishing software.

MC always had 4 audio tracks Luca, and 24 fps in '95, and universal mastering which let you play out a 24p ptoject at 25...

luca.mg:
    So I would certainly trade blending for an MC 8 upgrade worth the price of the annual fee.

Me too, but 20 years of upgrades have taught me expectation management.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:08 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    I can't help wondering why no attempt has been made to even change the effects pallette layout?
    I think we all have a page long list of things we can't help wondering why no attempt was ever made to the slightest modification.

That said, they made a small change in 7.something, separating the Audio and the Video side of the Effects Palette (where of course no audio effects should ever have been put in the first place).

Pat Horridge:
    is that because of worry over a backlash if it's changed. As I said remember the weightlifter loss...
    I'm fairly certain that the rage over the removal of the Weight Lifter was that 99.99999% of the user base didn't feel that this was a change that was in any way needed or wanted or beneficial to anyone. It was a change for the sake of change. Just like they spent valuable R&D money on stripping down the interface between 5 and 5.5, only to almost completely redo the skin for v6. My biggest beef with all that is that a lot of work (and therefore R&D time and money) went into messing up the product, while loads and loads of valuable improvements were left unaddressed. That to me is what the weightlifter change represents.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:55 AM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

Job ter Burg:
    I'm fairly certain that the rage over the removal of the Weight Lifter was that 99.99999% of the user base didn't feel that this was a change that was in any way needed or wanted or beneficial to anyone. It was a change for the sake of change. Just like they spent valuable R&D money on stripping down the interface between 5 and 5.5, only to almost completely redo the skin for v6. My biggest beef with all that is that a lot of work (and therefore R&D time and money) went into messing up the product, while loads and loads of valuable improvements were left unaddressed. That to me is what the weightlifter change represents.

thanxs Job : 

this is excactly what i am feeling and thinking...

that´s why i would like to ask us "users" to produce a ranking.

It would focus the discussion: 

i feel lost , because i am force to do workarounds all the time.

when "automatic duck" came out, i was screaming for an hour ....

I went out and partied all night...

But it´s a one way "autobahn" no way back .... No scene detection , 

kind regards peter 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Avid MC 7.0.4 /// MacBooks pro early... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 1:52 PM In reply to

The real shame was I'd proposed to Avid some years back that they add an FCP 7 project import function into MC.

It would have been a killer feature and have helped massively with the later FCP to MC transistions. But alas it wasn't actioned for whatever reason and I can't remember what new feature we got but it was such a missed oppertunity...

The hardest thing must be deciding how you collect the views of the user base.

These forums aren't a fair representation of all the users. We have the beta testing forums as well but again they attract a certain type of user. And of course there are people who aren't even users but could be so their views on why MC isn't the tool from them and how it could be are important.

And to do all that and not have it as a public process so that Avid has some chance of inovating (you can't inovate if you make you road map public as your competition can then do the same or better)

I know Avid has internal mechanisums that monitor a wide range of user inputs and I can only imagine the massive task of sifting that and making meaningful business decisions takes. And we can see some of those external processes in the ACA.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 2:47 PM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

Pat Horridge:
    The hardest thing must be deciding how you collect the views of the user base.

Hi Pat,

1. Let´s say the forum get a percentage of importance

2. We´ve got the support too! They could ask for the 3 Top requests

3. Sales could do the same with their contacts

4. And the beta tester would do the rest. 

i guess you get an overlap ....

but we could start with the forum, can´t we ? 

here´s an exsample of the modul8 forum, maybe this is a way to go? 

http://modul8.uservoice.com/forums/48885-general

I am shure that it would be woth the effort 

Good for Avid (Ressources)

Good for us new needed features 

Good for sales (clever arguments, like what the next big thing) 

Good for the support (they can focus on new detail)

And i bet that Avid  receives new clients too.

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:39 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

The real shame was I'd proposed to Avid some years back that they add an FCP 7 project import function into MC.

That to me would be the type of stuff they would buy (from Wes Plate or from Boris Y) rather than develop it themselves. 

Also, most tech companies have some form of road map available to the public. Avid did a great tech preview in Burbank months before they released or even announced v6. That did them a lot of good, word-of-mouth-wise. Such an event should have been done when they announced the 299 annual plan. Or they need to do one at IBC now.

i agree that they cannot put all their cards on the table. Putting NO cards on the table is also foolish. There is a middle ground that benefits Avid and its user base and potential customers, would you not agree?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:12 PM In reply to

Peter Lund:

1. I have a Text Layer and oi apply AvidFX

2. i go to Avidfx 

Hi Peter, Try putting the Avid FX on your background. Then create your text in Avid FX. Then manipulate the text and blending completely independant of the background.

FWIW Avid FX has (IMO) a better titling options than Title Tool, Marquee and New Blue versions 1 and 2.

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:09 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

I do not believe that these forums are taken in great consideration, espacially after the birth of the ACA.

David Yardley:
    MC always had 4 audio tracks Luca
    Yes, my mistake, sorry David, it was back at the early times until the disappearing of MC 1000, ages ago.
    David Yardley:
    24 fps in '95
    A very expensive paid for option, called film option, later on more affordable with MC offline (XL or whatever it was called, Meridien days), included by default maybe from the DNA days if memory serves.
    David Yardley:
    universal mastering
    Symphony only.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 6:43 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 530
    • Points 6,785

I havent been editing as long as many of you. I haven't been a MC user as long as many of you but I do see and understand some things. One is other NLE companies are moving and innovating faster then MC. They are taking market share. NO tech company can be at the top if they move slow to innovate. Apple FCP did what it did because it made moves same with Premiere. Whether u like those NLE or not they have progressed and made an impact. On top of that they are being integrated in the school systems with younger upcoming kids. MC is not aggressive in making its name known because of its past position.  Avid will be RIM blackberry. You fail to push and move to innovate your product then you will fail to be at the top. Look what Iphone did to blackberry.

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 7:09 PM In reply to

• Peter Lund
    • Not Ranked
    • Hamburg
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

dew:
     Avid will be RIM blackberry. You fail to push and move to innovate your product then you will fail to be at the top. Look what Iphone did to blackberry.

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Say No More

and 

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

I think we are here because we don´t want this to happen. 

And predictions are very very difficult 

Luke: I saw - I saw a city in the clouds. 

Yoda: [nods] Friends you have there. 

Luke: They were in pain... 

Yoda: It is the future you see. 

Luke: The future? 

[pause] 

Luke: Will they die? 

Yoda: [closes his eyes for a moment] Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. 

Luke: I've got to go to them. 

Yoda: Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered. 

So be a part of creation. We are moving slow , but we are moving! 

thnx

peter 

hamburg

i guess i do a little yoda yoga this evening and after this karate avid training

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 8:51 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

dew:

I havent been editing as long as many of you. I haven't been a MC user as long as many of you but I do see and understand some things. One is other NLE companies are moving and innovating faster then MC. They are taking market share. NO tech company can be at the top if they move slow to innovate. Apple FCP did what it did because it made moves same with Premiere. Whether u like those NLE or not they have progressed and made an impact. On top of that they are being integrated in the school systems with younger upcoming kids. MC is not aggressive in making its name known because of its past position.  Avid will be RIM blackberry. You fail to push and move to innovate your product then you will fail to be at the top. Look what Iphone did to blackberry.

Never a truer word spoken IMO. I feel like a large majority of this community are blind to this as they have only experienced and worked with Avid. Occasionally have been forced to work with the competitors and obviously come back with bad results due to lack of experience. The amount of times I've seen Avid editors come off the back of a days work with FCP and say, things like 'I prefer Avid, it's much more keyboard centric, everything just works'. The facts are that FCP X and PP are moving much faster than we are. That scares me.

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 9:29 PM In reply to

Can you elaborate on the innovations you see in FCPX and/or APP? FCPX seems to use a few interesting concepts (new timeline approach), but APP to me seems in catching-up mode, much like Avid. But I have very little actual experience with either of them.

Innovation to me would constitute more than playing catch-up with others.

I feel like a broken record, but I'm on the lookout for actual editing innovation. Stuff that changes the way we work. Everywhere I go I hear the same story: ever increasing amounts of source footage and ever shorter post schedules. Ways that would let editors interface with the footage faster, more efficiently, would be a greater help to editors than, say, remote access to footage — IMHO.

We went from scissors to upright moviolas to flatbeds to hybrid film/video/digital to full digital editing. Feels like innovation in editing has flatlined in the last decade, which has otherwise seen great technological advance (there was no iPhone in 2004).

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 9:56 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,381
    • Points 17,035

dew:
    Apple FCP did what it did because it made moves same with Premiere. Whether u like those NLE or not they have progressed and made an impact. On top of that they are being integrated in the school systems with younger upcoming kids. MC is not aggressive in making its name known because of its past position.  Avid will be RIM blackberry. You fail to push and move to innovate your product then you will fail to be at the top. Look what Iphone did to blackberry.

Apple and Premiere have a little more leeway to revolutionize because thay do not have major broadcasters around the world absolutely dependent on the speed and reliability of their systems.  If FCP died tomorrow (didn't something like that happen recently?) a number of folks would grumble, but news would get on the air, sports would still be covered, reality would still be faked, and blockbusters would still be released.  If Avid announced they are obsoleting their old systems by the end of summer to make a jazzier interface on an all-new hardware platform the dollars* and man-hours** in revamped infrastructure and retraining would be mind boggling.  But I guess college kids would have job prospects -- so there's always that.

*Please feel free to substitute the currency of your choice.

**A traditional verbal convention in no way intended here to exclude women.

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,330
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job ter Burg:
    Ways that would let editors interface with the footage faster, more efficiently, would be a greater help to editors

Apart from the parts about the Canon camera, this tutorial shows a few of the many strengths in the NLE I have opted for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCISromghg#t=120

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 6 of 9 (127 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller