Latest post Mon, Oct 26 2009 10:36 PM by ryguy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 6:46 PM

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Avid can't read my file

Hi, here is my set up. I have a PDW-U1 hooked up to a pc laptop running windows vista. Also hooked up to the laptop is a one TB hard drive. I have a bunch of xdcam discs and I need to get the media from the discs to the hard drive. I am using MC 4.0. I am only using the laptop to transfer the High res media files from the xdcam discs to the hard drive, I will be using a better machine later. 

So far I have Turned off the "Enable AMA Volume Managment" check box and am just importing the files using FILE>IMPORT in MC so far on everyone of the discs this has worked just fine. The problem is that on one and only one of the discs MC starts to import but once it is finished importing it gives me an error message saying that "an access violation exception occured" then it tells me where to look for the error report log. I also checked my hard drive and it does have an extra file on it so it must be there. The Clip does not show up in the bin I imported it to. So I looked up the error report and it said that it couldn't open the file because windows didn't know which program to use. Then it gave the the option of choosing a program to open the file in and so I chose "Avid Editor". This opened up MC and then MC gave me the error message that said it was not able to read the file. Not sure why all the other discs work but not this one disc. when I use the proxy vewing software that came with the PDW-U1 I can veiw and see the media on the problem disc.

What is going on here? What am I doing wrong? any ideas

thanks for the help.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:41 PM In reply to

Re: Avid can't read my file

What happens if you try re-enabling AMA for that particular disk? Remember that after re-enabling AMA you must quit and re-launch the application. What flavor of Vista are you running?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Oct 23 2009 10:38 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

I am Running 32-bit if that is what you mean. It is also the Business version. I will try your suggestion though thanks.

Main Workstation: Dell Precision T7600, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz 2x, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, Running Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 24 2009 12:27 AM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

well I tried importing the problem disk with the AMA turned on and it still has the same problem. Any more ideas?

Thanks

• Sat, Oct 24 2009 3:36 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

ryguy:
    an access violation exception occured
    This is usually due to permission on the files/folders, it's a very common error message and searching the forum or the knowledge base You should find instructions for fixing this, don't know what is like in Vista 32 but You'll have to right click on the folder and from (perhaps) the security options grant Yourself full control of the folder and its content.
    ryguy:
    So I looked up the error report and it said that it couldn't open the file because windows didn't know which program to use.
    Notepad should do the trick; and in case it's not a permission issue: by posting the content of the file we might spot what the problem is.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Oct 26 2009 10:36 PM In reply to

• ryguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 141
    • Points 1,995

Well thanks very much guys for the help ( I mean that ). But I seem to have found a work around which is quite simple. With AMA turned on I was able to successfuly consolidate the AMA linked file from xdcam disc to my media storage drive. So all is well. (for now lol)

Again Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller