Latest post Fri, Nov 13 2009 4:21 AM by ElenaL. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 21 2009 6:01 PM

• ElenaL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 21 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Exporting EDL for Broadcast WAV files with Time Code

So I have searched on various forums and there seems to be one post back from 2006 here that was never answered with a similar but not quite the same question.

I am trying to export an EDL for our audio guys from Broadcast WAV Files.

They have the proper TC associated with them within the Avid but as soon as you export an EDL, no matter which settings you choose, it seems to perceive them as auxiliary files and give TC of 00:00...

Is there any way to get the EDL to see and display the proper TC of the WAV files? Or is that a mission impossible?

Thanks!

(we're on a AMC 2.8.4)

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Oct 21 2009 6:48 PM In reply to

Re: Exporting EDL for Broadcast WAV files with Time Code

Make sure they have a tape entry. Or use the SoundRoll as source in EDL Manager. Then it should work.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 21 2009 7:20 PM In reply to

• ElenaL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Thanks Job,

sorry, I forgot to mention that I did modify the 'source' of the wav files and gave them a tape name and did try selecting 'sound TC' option for Source TC in the edl manager... doesn't work ;(

any other suggestions? aaahhh... so frustrating!

I noticed in the bin headings there is a 'tape' column and a 'tape ID' column which remained unmodified when I gave it a source name... does that have anything to do with it? What is the Tape ID to begin with?

• Wed, Oct 21 2009 9:20 PM In reply to

If there's no entry in the "Tape" column, you don't have a source tape. TapeID is another tapename descriptor, not sure what it is generally used for.

Do you see ANY entry in any column that resembles something like a tapename? Can you somehow see a filename entry anywhere? You need something like that for it to work. You may need to copy that entry to something like the Camroll or Soundroll or Labroll column, then tell EDL manager to use that as a source tape identifier.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 13 2009 1:26 AM In reply to

• elporto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 3 2007
    • Posts 35
    • Points 515

I am having the exact same issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this to work?

• Fri, Nov 13 2009 1:52 AM In reply to

• Merlin2004
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 149
    • Points 1,835

At the risk of closing the gate after the horse has bolted, Sound Devices have a great little utility called Wave Agent beta. I've been using it for the last 6 months and it has proved very useful and reliable. And it's free.

This software lets you load any kind of BWF and modify the header including adding a tape number.

When you import the modified file it will now contain a tape number and therefore legit timecode info.

http://www.sounddevices.com/download/waveagent.html 

Freelance. Whatever turns up! [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 13 2009 4:21 AM In reply to

• ElenaL
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 35

Hey guys,

sorry, I should have posted this earlier...

so I was battling that issue for a while and did try giving the source name (tape name) to the wav files... except that I did not restart the computer and tried pulling the edl right away...

well, when I came in the next morning ready to keep the battle going-it worked!

so all you need to do is indeed assign your wav files (sometimes doing batch works, sometimes you have to do each file individually or in small groups) a tape name by highlighing it, then under clip->modify->source name->give it a tape name.

then restart your avid and try pulling your edl. this should work.

let me know if you had any luck :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller