Latest post Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:10 AM by DylanReeve. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 17 2009 5:30 AM

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,070

SDI workflow

I have a question about SDI, will this workflow work?

HDMI out of Canon HG S10 AVCHD camera into a HD-SDI converter HD Connect MI (info http://www.symbiosis.eu/hdconnect_mi)

SDI output from converter into MOJO SDI, SDI out from MoJo into SDI input on a Sony LVM 2020 monitor.

What I'm not clear about is how is the AVCHD captured into Avid- via Firewire from MoJo?

I know I'm giving up the file based video that could be imported into Avid, but since AVCHD isn't a native file yet to Avid and I have to convert files anyway it doesn't matter. The reason I like this flow (if it works) is the ability to convert to DNxHD in realtime (if I understood the Convergence website right).

Is anyone using a Connect MI box with Avid?

Thanks for your help with this!

leo

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Oct 17 2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: SDI workflow

Not a bad workflow in general, but a few issues. MOJO SDI is Standard Def only, so no DNxHD, and no HD at all. Also with this process you've got no timecode reference. If a clip goes offline there's no option to recapture it.

An option would be to use the HDMI to HD-SDI converter to feed into, say, a XDCAM HD422 deck, essentially making new edit masters. You could then work with AMA from the XDCAM HD, or capture SD out of the deck, edit a standard def master, then rent time with a Mojo or Nitris DX to recapture the edit in DNxHD or 1:1 HD.

There's no reason the Connect MI shouldn't work (assuming it conforms to spec) but the Mojo SDI offers no HD support, so your plan falls apart there.

I'd invest the time into finding a streamlined file-based workflow I think.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Sat, Oct 17 2009 4:10 PM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,070

Thanks, for the reply.

I should have mentioned that this would be a SD project flow.

Convergence box embedds time code with audio, so I think I still have TC reference data. Once the HD is converted to SD/SDI and sent to MoJo would I use the capture tool to bering it into Avid? Thanks again for the help.

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:10 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

In that case - yup it should work. If the timecode data is being embedded in the SDI audio channels and you capture it, then you should be able to use the "Read Audio Timecode" fuction to attach it to the clip.

As you don't have any deck control with this method you can't batch capture at a later date, but you should at least be able to relink captured footage if you need to.

I'd still be inclined to use the SDI bridge to dub to Digibeta or XDCAM to use as and edit master - if you have the facilities.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller