Latest post Tue, Oct 6 2009 1:58 PM by maryd. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 2 2009 10:17 AM

• cocardo39
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 18 2009
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

converting .mov files to MXF DV compression

Hello , mi name is Diego, from Uruguay.

in the channel station I work for, we have a Deko 1000 . 

Inside Deko, I can convert videos from .mov to MXF but the only compression is mpeg. Happens that compressing that way, we can only play 2 videos at the same time. Using the examples videos that come with deko (are compressed in DV25) we can playback several videos at the same time.

so I am searching for some way I can convert my .mov files to MXF but with DV25 compression.

Thank you all for the help you can give.

Diego

• Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:54 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Re: converting .mov files to MXF DV compression

Hello Diego,

Deko has the capability to play only 2 videos (clips) at a time, one in the background and another in a rectangular layer.  Either of those clips can be video only or video and key.  And the import process is exactly what you said - an .mov file is transcoded to an .mxf file when importing on Deko. 

So it sounds like your Deko is behaving exactly as it should.  If you need assistance in creating a clip layer please e-mail me directly and I will send you that information.

Good luck,

• Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:18 PM In reply to

• cocardo39
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Thanks Mary. I have the DekoObjex option enabled. when de deko arrived into de station, I played with the objex and using Test Clips that deko brings, I could play 7 clips at the same time with different sizes, etc.

When i use clips that are converted by me in the deko, i can only play 2 videos.

the only difference is that the test clips are .mxf with dv25 compression and my clips are .mxf with mpeg2 compression. thats why i want to know how can i convert from .mov to .mxf with dv25 compression externally of the deko..

i hope i was clear enough.

thank you

diego

• Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:46 PM In reply to

Diego,

In order to determine what hardware is installed in your system, I would need the system ID. But, the Corsica video card (which is the currently shipping card) has 2 hardware codecs, each of which can play 2 video streams. Thus, you can play a miximum of 4 video streams at a time. These streams can be allocated to Video and/or Key and in any combination. So, you can play 4 video clips without key or 2 clips, each of which has key. But, we've never sold or shipped a Deko that can play 7 clips via a hardware codec. OTOH, you can use Power Clips which  use a software codec and you could have many power clips playing at the same time. Or, it could be a Cel Animation that was playing. But, it's never been possible to play 7 clips at the same time (.dv or .mxf or ...).

Dave

• Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:54 PM In reply to

• cocardo39
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

dave, thanks for your reply.

i said 7 clips to put an example. i could play many many at the same time and on both programs (a and b) with two deko different objex scenes, also playing in both channels a clip on the background with clipdeko.

im sure that this are clips, not cel animations... but i dont know what power clips are. 

the clips came with the deko.

thank you !

diego

• Tue, Oct 6 2009 1:58 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Power clips are a new feature that can play small clips (i.e. not rendered to the size of the output).  But this feature is available on Deko3000 only.

Cel animations are a series of files, generally .tga or .tif, that can play as a flip book to create animations.  These are also rendered smaller than other graphic files.

So if you saw multiple videos playing on your Deko1000 it was a combination of clips and cel animations.

To find more information on cel animations refer to the user guide that shipped with your machine.

Mary Driscoll

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller