Latest post Fri, Oct 2 2009 6:02 PM by Haze. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 30 2009 4:19 PM

• AGordon84
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 30 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Newbie alert. Need help with locators...

Hi guys.  I'm new to the forum and new to Avid.  I had a few questions concerning locators.  

I'm working as an assistant editor on a TV show in Canada.  Part of the gig is watching the footage and making notes on the clips via LOCATORS.  I'm a decent typist so I thought I could speed up the process by setting my locators upon first viewing and then export the locators so I can type as I listen on my laptop (a second computer), eliminating all the pause, rewind play, etc.  It appears as though you cannot re-important locators to clips, only to the sequence (I get the message that "The record monitor must be selected").  

I tried importing them to the timeline but they don't lineup.  I tried changing the sequence time code to correspond with that of the clip and they still don't line up.  

My question to you the community, and avid in general is, how does locator positioning actually work?  The timing seems totally arbitrary and not relative to Timecode at all.  It doesn't even seem to be relevant to the beginning or end of the clip either.  

I had a similar problem while grouping clips from multiple cameras.  If the B cam starts rolling 10 seconds before the A cam, and all of the Locator notes are attached to the A Cam clips, when you copy and paste your locators over they don't line up.  I've been working around this by sub clipping the B cam so that it starts the same time as the A, but that won't be acceptable in every situation.  

Can you help with these problems OR at least point me in the direction of more information on how Locators work.

Thanks a lot.  Please pardon my newbie-ness. 

P.S. running Media Composer 3.5 

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Oct 2 2009 5:26 PM In reply to

• AGordon84
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 30 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Newbie alert. Need help with locators...

• Fri, Oct 2 2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

Re: Newbie alert. Need help with locators...

You can set locators in different locations.  When you are digitizing the material you can set locators on the fly using the function keys.  You can also add locators to clips in the source monitor.  You can add locators to sequnces.  The timecode number for the locators depends on what you were doing when you added them; digitizing, viewing from the source monitor or viewing a sequence from the record monitor. 

As to what is the proper method of setting locators that's between you and the editor.  If you have long clips with multiple takes you'll probably want to add locators to the clip.  If you're doing a rough string out the editor may want the sequence marked with locators to identify scenes, etc.

Regarding importing locators I've never tried it.  I've exported them plenty of times, but never imported them.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller