Latest post Thu, Oct 1 2009 5:06 PM by hidefcowboy. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:43 AM

Macbook Pro portable edit suite

Hi all,

I'm wanting to put together a portable Avid suite based around a 15" Macbook Pro (July 2009 edition). Firstly I'm wondering if any other users have this kind of kit and if so what's in it...? And secondly I'd like to get a Mojo SDI but how do I connect it via the firewire 800 port...? And how do I connect drives if the port is taken up with the Mojo...?

Any help would be most appreciated, Lewis

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:00 AM In reply to

• ericswanson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Texas
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

Re: Macbook Pro portable edit suite

I think I have that same MacBook Pro.  I have downloaded the trial version of MC 4 to it (I also have OS X 10.6.1 which is not a supported setup as of this writing).

You have to get a firewire expresscard/34 adapter for your laptop so you have two firewire channels, the built-in one for external HDs and the expresscard firewire adapter for video.  I don't have a Mojo, but I've connected a Canopus analog to dv converter and a camcorder to the laptop via this expresscard firewire connection and it seems to work.  (I just got the adapter a few days ago.)

Editing on an Xserve (2 x 2.93 GHz quad-core), 12 GB RAM, boot disk is a PCIe SSD) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:33 AM In reply to

Hi there,

My Macbook doesn't have an express card slot - only an SD card slot - so the expresscard34 is no use unfortunately.

Cheers, LC

• Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:50 AM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,130

That's a tough one.  IMO, Apple really killed the 15" MBP as a viable Avid system when they took that Express slot out.

You're in a bit of a pickle because you may not be able to connect an external drive for capture and a DV device (camera, deck, or mojo) at the same time because you don't have enough fw buses. At least that what they say, I actually run fw drives on the same bus as my mojo occassionally and it works (for editing/playback, not capture).  Your RAID options are also limited (maybe non-existent?)

I guess you could try putting your mojo on the built-in fw bus (you need to get a fw400 to fw800 adapter plug or cable which is readily availabl at Best Buy or online) and capturing to your internal drive. Probably (maybe) work ok for DV and HDV, maybe not so much for analog or HD. 

Honestly, my advice would be to get the older 15" MBP with the card slot, get the 17" (the only MBP that still has a slot), or get a custom built PC laptop. Sorry.

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 / 2.7 GHz Intel Xeon E2176M / NVIDIA Quadro P1000 / 16GB RAM / WIN10 Pro / MC 2019.8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

bmedia:

IMO, Apple really killed the 15" MBP as a viable Avid system when they took that Express slot out.

Honestly, my advice would be to get the older 15" MBP with the card slot, get the 17" (the only MBP that still has a slot), or get a custom built PC laptop. Sorry.

I'd second that. I just picked up the old 2.4 Ghz 15" for precisely that reason (ie the expresscard slot). You should be able to get a good deal if you can find one. If you're in the UK computer warehouse had both the 2.4 and the 2.66 last week. Or bite the bullet and get the 17". It will be a more pleasant editing experience imo (but a lot pricier than a reduced previous model 15" obviously).

And get an external keyboard and mouse!

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:30 PM In reply to

Also run an E-Sata e 34 card not f/w as sata has a 3gig transfer about 2.5 times quicker that fw800!

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:46 PM In reply to

• kellyv
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 413
    • Points 4,840

Is the thought to be able to go anywhere and hook up to a client monitor or something? Do you need a mojo to do that? Or can you use the Apple AV port thingy? Mobility is good these days. I edit at home all the time prior to doing the edit with the client thing in the full blown suite. Would be nice to at least hook up to a small TV/Monitor. Is there a lag issue when using the Apple AV thing? Really curious.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Retina 15" with 2 TB Displays OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. Media Composer 8.5. BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. BM Desktop Video... [view my complete system specs]

Editor

• Tue, Sep 29 2009 3:45 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Apologies. I read the first response more thoroughly than your OP and didn't realise that you already have the laptop.

Honestly, I think you're going to struggle to put together an efficient system with that laptop as a base. You're forced to daisy chain firewire devices, which is never guaranteed to work smoothly, or restrict yourself to file based capture formats.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 30 2009 2:37 AM In reply to

I've said it before on here. The dream of laptop editing is mostly that. If you're doing anything where you need a monitor (hence the mojo) you can probably just cart a Mac Pro too.

All my clients who try to do serious editing on laptops eventually go to  desktop rig due to monitor space, speed, drives and all the things mentioned above.

If you're gonna carry a broadcast monitor, have a deck and the wiring necessary, you really might just want ot rack mount the whole thing and roll it onto the set, hotel room or whatever.

Otherwise, go light, work tapeless, no mojo and rock on... maybe a big LCD for playback?

Don't trust the internet...

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 3:00 AM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,130

I think laptop systems have their place.  In June, I switched from working a tower based system to 15" MBP (with an Express Card Slot) and I don't see myself going back.  in my suite I have an LCD monitor, an NTSC monitor, mixer, mojo, speakers, keyboard and gobs of external drives, a DV deck and a Betadeck all connected. It's really no different than when I had a tower (other than the fact my MBP smokes my old G4 system and it's a heck of lot quiter). But when I need to show a review cut to someone, edit with a client, or get on an airplane, there's nothing better than picking up that tiny little laptop and bus powered fw drive and just going. 

That said, laptop systems are never going to be as powerful as the towers.  I'm mostly a news/documentary producer so I don't do a lot effects heavy stuff (the reason I was able to keep the G4 system for so long).  But putting together a functional travelling avid setup is possible, with the right laptop.

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 / 2.7 GHz Intel Xeon E2176M / NVIDIA Quadro P1000 / 16GB RAM / WIN10 Pro / MC 2019.8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 30 2009 3:28 AM In reply to

Hi there,

I'm a TVC editor. I usually work whichever suite the producer books, but more and more my clients are working offshore - mainly in South America and Aisa - and would like it if I could travel with them. Ideally I'd like to run a lead to a TV in the hotel room as a monitor. I assume the only way I can do this is via a Mojo...? Is this correct or is there a third party box that will do this - something like a Matrox...

As I mentioned I've got a Macbook Pro 15" with and SD slot so using the express slot is out of the question. However, I'd get all rushes supplied as quicktimes - so I wouldn't need to digitise anything, and outputs would all be to DVD for approvals - so don't need any tape output. The main issue is that I'd like to be running off the firewire 800 port, but that's going to be taken up with a Mojo leaving two USB ports. I've used the USB ports on a job before and surprisingly they worked well...! And it was bus powered. I also rarely have more than an hours worth of footage.

My main question is can I run an Avid Mojo off the Firewire 800 port using just a converter lead...?

I guess if I can then I can use the USB port to run a BUS powered LaCie Rugged 500GB drive off...

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 3:30 AM In reply to

Ooops, sorry the above was a reply to kellyv's post...

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 3:38 AM In reply to

bmedia:

I think laptop systems have their place.  In June, I switched from working a tower based system to 15" MBP (with an Express Card Slot) and I don't see myself going back.  in my suite I have an LCD monitor, an NTSC monitor, mixer, mojo, speakers, keyboard and gobs of external drives, a DV deck and a Betadeck all connected. It's really no different than when I had a tower (other than the fact my MBP smokes my old G4 system and it's a heck of lot quiter). But when I need to show a review cut to someone, edit with a client, or get on an airplane, there's nothing better than picking up that tiny little laptop and bus powered fw drive and just going. 

That said, laptop systems are never going to be as powerful as the towers.  I'm mostly a news/documentary producer so I don't do a lot effects heavy stuff (the reason I was able to keep the G4 system for so long).  But putting together a functional travelling avid setup is possible, with the right laptop.

I agree, an ultraportable suite sounds a lot more appealing than a cumbersome pro tower.

I think I'll be able to get away with a kit as follows;

- 1 x Macbook Pro

- 1 x 22 inch monitor - something cheap like a Dell

- 2 x LaCie Rugged bus powered drives

- A Mojo

- Wireless keyboard

- Wacom (I use a Wacom, not mouse).

- Associated leads etc

Thoughts...?

Also, I don't have a Mojo - which one should I get - they'll both run out to  a TV right...?

Thanks, LC

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 3:41 AM In reply to

hidefcowboy:

I've said it before on here. The dream of laptop editing is mostly that. If you're doing anything where you need a monitor (hence the mojo) you can probably just cart a Mac Pro too.

All my clients who try to do serious editing on laptops eventually go to  desktop rig due to monitor space, speed, drives and all the things mentioned above.

If you're gonna carry a broadcast monitor, have a deck and the wiring necessary, you really might just want ot rack mount the whole thing and roll it onto the set, hotel room or whatever.

Otherwise, go light, work tapeless, no mojo and rock on... maybe a big LCD for playback?

Yep, I think light is the way - I don't need broadcast as I'm only doing offlines.

The Mojo's pretty small though and is probably worth having for convenience - nothing worse than clients looking over you shoulder...!

• Thu, Oct 1 2009 12:33 AM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,130

That sounds like a pretty good setup to me. I use an old analog mojo and it works fine. If all you're using for is to get to an NTSC monitor, that should be sufficient. Lot cheaper than the SDI, I picked mine up used for $700 a few years ago. You can probably get one cheaper than that now.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller