Latest post Sat, Jun 19 2010 4:30 PM by Job ter Burg. 53 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 22 2009 5:20 AM

Avid Symphony v4.0.2 Released

The new v4.0.2/v8.0.2 editor files are expected to be available at 3:00 PM ET today, September 21, 2009

The following products will be launched on the avid.com download page and the Support Download Center (login and password required) at this time.

·         Avid Media Composer v4.0.2 (Mac and PC)

·         Avid Symphony v4.0.2 (Mac and PC)

·         Avid NewsCutter v8.0.2 (PC)

Additional Notes:

·         As previously announced, new system shipments of Avid Media Composer v4.0, Avid Symphony v4.0, and Avid NewsCutter v8.0 began on September 16, 2009. 

·         Customers that bought a new Avid Media Composer v4.0, Avid Symphony v4.0, or Avid NewsCutter v8.0 are entitled to download the v4.0.2/v8.0.2 upgrade on the avid.com download page, although they are not required to do so. The version 4.0.2/8.0.2 update corrects a Trial Software Activation anomaly that affected the dongle, and therefore is irrelevant for new software purchases which are not supplied with dongles.

·         Software Download purchases from the Webstore will also be available at 3:00 PM ET today and will be v4.0.2/v8.0.2.

·         Upgrade purchases (Physical Shipping Kits) will begin shipping on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 in the US and September 25, 2009 in the rest of the world.

·         Software downloads via the Download Center, avid.com download page and the webstore will contain Avid Media Composer v4.0.2 and Avid Symphony v4.0.2, and Avid NewsCutter v8.0.2 due to the the Trial Activation Software anomaly.  Customers that wish to continue to use their dongle should use v4.0.2/v8.0.2.

Key Announcements with v4.x/v8.x:

-          Mix and Match format support

-          720P proxy transcode

-          GFCAM 100 mb decode

-          Panasonic AVC-I encode

-          Macintosh Media Composer as Pro Tools Video Satellite

-          Production Suite updates to Boris Continuum Complete, SmartSound SonicFire, and Sorenson Squeeze

-          Free upgrades for four years for any student who purchased and registered an academic version on or after March 1, 2009

Official Launch

Due to the lead time required for translation of documentation, sales and marketing information, web pages and customer letters across the globe in many languages, the public announcement for the editor family will take place September 30,, 2009.  Because the official announcement will be delayed as noted above, please expect customers to comment and ask questions online regarding this new release.  Customers also might inquire about web page updates, system requirement specification etc. that will not be updated until September 30, 2009.  Please note that the ReadMe documentation now includes a supported configuration section which should assist when questions surface.  I have attached the latest ReadMe documents to this notice so you are prepared to address any questions that might arise. 

Editor Pricing        

1.       Media Composer Software                $2,495              US MSRP

2.       Media Composer Software                $2,295              US MSRP Software Download Only – no hardcopy manuals or Production Suite             

3.       Mojo SDI                                         $2,495                  

4.       Production Suite applications             $195                 US MSRP 3rd party Software Only

Note:  For any pricing related to: NewsCutter, Mojo DX, Nitris DX, Symphony Nitris DX, etc. customers should be referred to their reseller or Avid directly.

Editor Upgrade Pricing

1.       Any version of Avid Xpress DV and Avid Xpress Pro or Avid Media Composer prior to v3.5 to Media Composer v4.0 Upgrade (Physical Shipping Kit with Production Suite) - $ 495 US MSRP

2.       Any version of Avid Xpress DV and Avid Xpress Pro or Avid Media Composer prior to v3.5 to Avid Media Composer v4.0 Upgrade (Software Download Only – no hardcopy manuals or Production Suite)  - $ 395 US MSRP 

3.       Avid Media Composer v3.5 to Avid Media Composer v4.0 Upgrade (Software Download Only - no hardcopy manuals or Production Suite) - $ 295 US MSRP 

4.       Avid Media Composer prior to v3.5 to Avid Media Composer v4.0  Upgrade  (Software Download Only – no hardcopy manuals or Production Suite) - $ 395 US MSRP 

5.       Any Avid Media Composer version to Avid Media Composer v4.0  Upgrade (Physical Shipping Kit with Production Suite) - $495 US MSRP  

** Upgrades from Avid Xpress Pro or Avid Xpress DV, to Media Composer Mojo DX or Media Composer Nitris DX, requires a two step process.  First, the customer must upgrade from Xpress DV or Xpress Pro to Media Composer Software-only, and then add the Mojo DX or Nitris DX.  Contact the reseller or Avid directly for pricing.

Note: For international pricing, please direct the customer to their reseller or Avid regional office.

Production Suite

The Avid Production Suite includes:

·         Boris Continuum Complete v6 (Mac and PC) – Comprehensive library of customizable video filters and transitions

·         Avid FX v6 (Mac and PC) – 2D & 3D compositing, titles, animation and effects

·         Sorenson Squeeze v5 (Mac and PC) – Multimedia export with customizable compression templates

·         Avid DVD by Sonic v6.1 (PC only) – Industry leading DVD and Blu-ray authoring

·         SmartSound Sonicfire Pro v5 (Mac and PC) – music creation software

Version Protection

Any customer that purchased a copy of Avid Media Composer Software after September 1, 2009 is entitled to a free upgrade from v3.5.x to v4.0.2.  The protection page will be live today September 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM ET at www.avid.com/protect  The upgrades MUST be obtained via download before September 30, 2009 as the page will be removed at that time.

SW Licensing and the Dongle

Much like with v3.5/v7.5, new unit purchases of Avid Media Composer v4.0, Avid Symphony v4.0 and Avid NewsCutter v8.0 will use software licensing.  Existing customers with a dongle can continue to use their dongle, and if they do so, they should be encouraged to download and install v4.0.2/v8.0.2, or transition to the SW licensing scheme.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 11:01 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

Re: Avid Symphony v4.0.2 Released

Hi Scott, the pricing in the above post refers to Media Composer, will the upgrade price from MC to Symphony be available online? TYFYA

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 3:13 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Anyone know the upgrade price from Symphony 3.5 to Symphony 4.0?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,370
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

According to my notes the upgrade price for Symphony to 4.0 is $995 US MSRP unless you have a valid support contract and then it is a no charge downlaod.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 4:20 PM In reply to

luca.mg:

Hi Scott, the pricing in the above post refers to Media Composer, will the upgrade price from MC to Symphony be available online? TYFYA

My mistake. See Mariannas post above.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 4:55 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Thanks Marianna,

My support contract expired. Does the $995 include the manuals and 3rd party software? Can I upgrade through Avid or do I need to go through a reseller?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Sep 22 2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

Scott, I'm asking about pricing for upgrades from Media Composer to Symphony, if any.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 11:36 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Why does it cost more to upgrade Symphony compared to MC, does the Symphony have some new features?

Or is the extra $500 needed to upgrade MC4 to Symphony MC4?

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 1:20 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

NICKB:
    Why does it cost more to upgrade Symphony compared to MC, does the Symphony have some new features?

No extra features... bend over.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 2:37 PM In reply to

NICKB:

Or is the extra $500 needed to upgrade MC4 to Symphony MC4?

Symphony has a higher price point, which is why I assume the upgrade costs more.

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 2:56 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

TCurren:

NICKB:

No extra features... bend over.

Well maybe universal mastering is being kind of available for MC too now with mix and match feature, but still Symphony has better colour correction.

Scott, is there an upgrade price from MC to Symphony, and if yes: I haven't been able to spot it, could You point me in the right direction or is this something to be discussed with resellers only?

peace luca

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 3:13 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Scott Carnegie:
    Symphony has a higher price point, which is why I assume the upgrade costs more.

Thats like saying the rich should be charged more for the same upgrade!

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 4:05 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 497
    • Points 5,985

NICKB:
    Thats like saying the rich should be charged more for the same upgrade!

Yes but then the rich are able to charge our clients 4 times as much as those peasant Media Composers.

One should be able to pay for the upgrade after just a few hours work.  

Media Composer 2019.7.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.5 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 7:01 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

luca.mg:
    Well maybe universal mastering is being kind of available for MC too now with mix and match feature, but still Symphony has better colour correction.

Does the new mix and match feature replace Universal Mastering? If so, the Symphony is in desperate need of new features. All that's left now is color correction and the price tag.

It's very disappointing that there aren't any new developments for Symphony. 

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Sep 25 2009 7:31 PM In reply to

Abeyta:
    Does the new mix and match feature replace Universal Mastering?

No.

Abeyta:
    the Symphony is in desperate need of new features.

Yes ;-)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 4 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller