Latest post Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:14 PM by miked2023. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 3 2009 1:51 PM

• RezRez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2007
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Media Composer 3.1.3 & Snow Leopard - MAC OS X 10.6

I'm aware of the existing 3.5 discussion, but this one is concerning the 3.1.3 version.

I'm curious if anyone here has tried their 3.1.3 with Snow Leopard yet, because I'd like to update. Does Avid run? Can you WORK with it?

Also, Avid, will you release a "patch" for your beloved 3.1.3 users to allow full Snow Leopard support??!?

Thanks!

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 3.1.3 & Snow Leopard - MAC OS X 10.6

"... Also, Avid, will you release a "patch" for your beloved 3.1.3 users to allow full Snow Leopard support??!? ..."

Not likely.  Upgrade to v3.5 (or later when available) for support of newer OS's

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 6:26 PM In reply to

• RezRez
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks for the fast reply Randall,

It might be easy for you to say, but I can't afford to upgrade to 3.5... I am holding out until 4.0 (or similar) is out... but until then, it would be fantastic, if Avid would take into consideration the many existing users, that - like me - may not be able to upgrade and are kinda stuck with what they originally purchased...

Besides, 3.5 does NOT officially support Snow Leopard either...

• Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:41 AM In reply to

• china
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 23
    • Points 285

I haven't tested it extensively, but here MC 3.1.3/ OS 10.6 / QT 7.6.3 / analog Mojo seems to be working. (By the way, almost everything that worked under 10.5.8 seems to be working under 10.6, actually even faster. So far only one application didn't make it to Snow Leopard). This is supposed to be my FCP partition, and I have another partition for MC which still runs under 10.5.8 and which I will continue to use for my paid work...

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1900 XT, Mojo (Component), FireWire 800 hard drives on Siig card , OS 10.5.8, QuickTime 7.6.2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 4 2009 11:03 AM In reply to

• RezRez
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Interesting. Somehow, I hadn't thought of creating a second partition specifically for Avid... :) Wonderful... I will try this too. Thanks china!

Meanwhile, if anybody else has experiences, please share them..

• Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:03 PM In reply to

• RezRez
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

So, I went ahead and started setting up Snow Leopard on my system.

I have a new unibody 17" 2,8GHz 4GB MBP with Avid MC 3.1.3.

I went to custom install settings and chose Rosetta. Quicktime 7 was already activated, so it was also installed.

So, out of curiosity, I went ahead and TRIED running MC 3.1.3 on Snow Leopard: and what do you know? IT WORKS!!!

I've only opened a short film sequence of 14 minutes and did some quick editing tests. Audiosuite WORKS. Audio EQ WORKS. Titles (non-Marquee) WORK. Effects WORK. Import QT and Export QT WORKS! I haven't tried Sapphire or any other 3rd party plugins, so I can't tell you about those...

I'll use the system in the next couple of days and will report should I notice anything weird...

But for the time being: I'M VERY HAPPY (and everything is FAST!)

• Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:26 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Good to know, keep us informed.

• Fri, Sep 4 2009 10:39 PM In reply to

• RezRez
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

I've done a few more tests, and I changed my opinion! 3.1.3 is not good enough on Snow Leopard!

One of the things you need to do, is create a new user and a new project. For some reason, it crashed, when I openend an older project. Also, when I switched the Nvidia 9400 (where it initially worked fine without any problems) over to the 9600, the system crashed at startup, because I had set MC to load the last open avid project... So I needed to delete the MC states for the system in order to even get to the user/project select screen. There however, everything works, once you create new users and new projects... opening Bins within projects sometimes worked, sometimes crashed. Needless to say, that all this is NO-GO in production...

I would be able to live with this little work around for my private stuff, if there wasn't the one big flaw, which I hadn't noticed immediately in my previous post, as I was editing cartoon-footage: the framerate! Even though sound and image are in sync and running in real-time, the video framerate is choppy (at approx 20 fps).

I've tried changing the video display settings and played around with pre-fill and stream numbers, even switched to software Open GL, but nothing helped improve the framerate. Also, switching between my two different gfx boards (9400 and 9600) doesn't make any difference.

The editing experience itself (apart from playback) is TOP NOTCH. Fast and responsive.

Shame. Without a Patch or some kind of Update, 3.1.3 users won't be able to enjoy Avid editing on their Snow Leopard.

My plea to Avid is obvious: please, pleeeeease, will you release a 10.6 patch for 3.1.3 for us!? Pleeeease.

• Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• china
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 23
    • Points 285

Following your comments, I had a closer look at how MC 3.1.3 works on my computer.

Regarding older projects and user settings, no problems to report here; did you upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard, or did you do a clean system install? (I tried the lazy route first and run into some problems; all gone after the clean install). I even opened and edited some projects created in Xpress Pro. I did have a "Bus error" in thread "MainThread', at address 0x0 - but I occasionnally had that before too (in Tiger).

You are probably right about choppiness; it's slight, but it's there - on the computer screen. On the other hand, the output via my Mojo (component) to a video monitor is quite smooth. (I work in Pal, and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon X 1900XT, 512 MB VRAM).

I'm not too hopeful that Avid will produce a patch for MC 3.1.3 and OS 10.6, but I agree, it woud be great if they did!

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1900 XT, Mojo (Component), FireWire 800 hard drives on Siig card , OS 10.5.8, QuickTime 7.6.2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:14 PM In reply to

• miked2023
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 205

I just foolishly put snow leopard on (was using 3.0.5) which then kicked me in the but to finally install 3.1.3 (i think i did it right, but that's why I balked originally, I'm not technically illiterate but avid is a complex system and upgrading is no exception for me anyways) So here's where I'm at:

Installed OK it seems but now I can't import anything (says no enough space on media drive which just isn't true) and I keep getting this error on my mac that says:

system/library/extensions/cdsdaudiocapturesupport.kext was installed improperly

can anyone help? I just don't have the bills to upgrade to 3.5 and seeing that I bought 3.0 in December, I'm a little ticked as it is.

Macbook Pro Early 2008 - 2.4ghz - 4GB Ram -

Avid Media Composer 3.0.5

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller