Latest post Sun, Sep 6 2009 11:56 PM by MichaelP. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:49 PM

Had Pulldown Issue, Now trying to Salvage Sequence

It had been suggested in this thread I had been working from in the Media Composer forum that I seek Michael Phillips' advice with this current problem.

Here is the original thread with all the details:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/74875.aspx?PageIndex=1

Basically, I'm seeking to decompose and batch capture a 13 minute sequence (in a 23.976 project) which had previously suffered from stuttery/jittery shots due to a pulldown issue.

Now that the Film and 24p Pulldown Settings have been brought to my attention, I've activated them, and would like to batch capture the sequence under these settings as to eliminate stutter shots....bc going through and diagnosing and re-capturing only the problem shots is too enourmous a task.

Current problem upon attempting to do this bature capture is that clips are coming in inaccurately, most likely due to the original timecodes corresponding to the "non-pulldown activated" setting they were originally captured under.

Any advice would be appreciated....thank you.

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:54 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: Had Pulldown Issue, Now trying to Salvage Sequence

Decompose sequence. Hilight all master clips. You may have to unlink first. After highlighting them all, go to clip menu and select Modify Pulldown Phase. Select "A" if that is the correct pulldown relationship. Once modified, batch capture master clips then relink seqeunce.

Michael

24p.com

• Mon, Aug 31 2009 5:30 PM In reply to

I had made some moderate progress upon recapturing clips and modifying pulldonw to A....but some clips recaptured with pulldown other then A.

I deleted associated media clips from one source tape with this problem (all were B) and am now attempting modify pulldown phase from B to A and to batch capture....but when I do, I get the message:

exception: CM_NO_SOURCE

more headaches...and now missing media!!  Any advice would be appreciated.

PS--How do I unlink?

• Mon, Aug 31 2009 11:41 PM In reply to

• Tue, Sep 1 2009 12:19 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

Do some clips not have TAPE names associated with them?

Michael

24p.com

• Tue, Sep 1 2009 3:19 PM In reply to

No, not at all. They all have the appropriate info....but for some reason, the clips associated with this one source tape (all have B pulldown...I want to recapture them as A) have LOST their end time info.

I can tell what the end times are supposed to be because I decomposed a duplicate sequence and all the correct info was maintained...its some sort of error, Ive read about: CM_No_Source

• Tue, Sep 1 2009 3:20 PM In reply to

actually...its not a duplicate sequence, there are subtle changes throughout--that is why I cannot just proceed with this recapture in the duplicate sequence either....however, all the clips from that one tape are the same.

• Wed, Sep 2 2009 5:00 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,945

I think what Michael is saying is modify the clips - add a tape name to any that are missing one.  Save the bin.  Then go back and modify the pulldown.  It will not let you do both modifications at once.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 6 2009 11:45 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Also, if I'm not mistaken, not all of your clips will capture on the A frame. Once you decompose your sequence, the individual clips will have essentially random start timecodes (and therefore, pullins). But if you've correctly assigned the proper cadence (ie A on 0s), the MC will capture each clip starting with the proper pullin.

If the footage plays back correctly after capture, then it is correct.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 6 2009 11:56 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

Decompose will go to to previos "A" frame and and the last D frame when going its thing.

Michael

24p.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller