Latest post Sat, Oct 30 2010 10:39 AM by mjolnarn. 65 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 25 2009 7:27 PM

• taynos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 21 2009
    • Posts 26
    • Points 385

MC 3.5 and Snow Leopard - Mac OSX 10.6

With the announcement that the 64 bit update for Mac OSX, Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) will be available for upgrade earlier than expected (August 28th, 2009)

Will Media Composer 3.5 and above versions be compatible Snow Leopard?

A huge advantage in using Snow Leopard would allow access to more than 2GB of RAM per APP, which would obviously be a fantastic thing for Avid editors / producers.

Media Composer 5.0.3 2x3 Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon 3 GB RAM OS 10.6.4 Matrox MXO2 Mini [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 25 2009 8:06 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Re: MC 3.5 and Snow Leopard - Mac OSX 10.6

I is surprise how well Apples marketdepartment work. I thougth that OSX has been 64-bit for years??? And a 2GB RAM limit??? why have nobody tell me this? Maybe FCP also have some hidden limits?Wink

To be serious, I do not know if MC will utilise the 64-bit, because it is a 32-bits program, at least in the Windows version. It has to be run in some sort of 32-bit mode.

Transcode a software from 32-bit to 64-bit is a huge task, and it takes time. As I understand it, Adobe has not manage to make photoshop 64-bit for OSX (but it exist for Windows, but the rest of the CS4 suite is 32-bit).

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:57 PM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

Avid ususally gets there eventually. My guess is that it will take a while to get 10.6 compatability for MC, especially since it uses Quicktime X - that's probably going to pose a few challenges. I have FCS 3 so I'll probably install it on another drive and see how it runs. It sounds promising though.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 3:17 PM In reply to

• red ant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 1 2006
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,045

OK, so, when I order my new 24" iMac tomorrow, will I need to order a "downgrade" of some kind??  Confused

It would be great to hear that Avid has been testing with the developer versions of Snow Leopard.... after all, it was announced in June, and copies were made available...

MC4.0.5 + ProTools 8 on Late-2009 Mac Mini: 2.53Ghz, 4GB, Nvidia 9400M, OSX 10.6.2, + Digi 003 Rack + Panasonic HPX 170 + spit, chewing gum, gaffer tape... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 3:45 PM In reply to

Avid tests with developer versions, but they only qualify actual shipping versions. And thorough testing takes time.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 5:44 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

I think it is important to remember that Avid MC is a production system, just like the transaktion system in banks.

It costs Avids customer more it there system stop because of a not fully tested computer and OS is used compare the the cost of not been able to use the latest and greates in these OS.

Remember that Newscutter och MC is used by TV-stations, and it theses systems stops, there will be no broadcast and no advertising and no income.

This attitude from Avid is one of the main, and most important, difference compare to the competitiors.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:57 AM In reply to

• red ant
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,045

berga:

I think it is important to remember that Avid MC is a production system, just like the transaktion system in banks.

It costs Avids customer more it there system stop because of a not fully tested computer and OS is used compare the the cost of not been able to use the latest and greates in these OS.

Remember that Newscutter och MC is used by TV-stations, and it theses systems stops, there will be no broadcast and no advertising and no income.

This attitude from Avid is one of the main, and most important, difference compare to the competitiors.

ha ha, i guess you're right... still, it would be nice to hear from Avid... "hey, we're testing snow leopard" or "working on a patch " or "certification expected by mid-october" or... something!  and have an FAQ telling people what to do.

im going to call the apple rep and ask if there is such a thing as downgrades...  the apple people can be so unhelpful because they hire all these kids based on  their hip looks... useless! ha ha ha.

MC4.0.5 + ProTools 8 on Late-2009 Mac Mini: 2.53Ghz, 4GB, Nvidia 9400M, OSX 10.6.2, + Digi 003 Rack + Panasonic HPX 170 + spit, chewing gum, gaffer tape... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:59 AM In reply to

• Raimonc
    • Not Ranked
    • Riga, Latvia
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

Hi, today I got Snow Leopard, installed it and what a surprise - Avid MC 3.0 works. I have MBP SantaRosa, later I will play with it, try to connect some FW devices and will see what will happen then, if everything will be ok, maybe it is worth to try to install SL on MacPro with NitrisDX.

MBP, 15", 2.4, MC3.1, 10.5.6 MacPro, 2x3.0 quad core, MC3.1.3, NitrisDX [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:41 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

red ant:

ha ha, i guess you're right... still, it would be nice to hear from Avid... "hey, we're testing snow leopard" or "working on a patch " or "certification expected by mid-october" or... something!  and have an FAQ telling people what to do.

im going to call the apple rep and ask if there is such a thing as downgrades...  the apple people can be so unhelpful because they hire all these kids based on  their hip looks... useless! ha ha ha.

I think it can be difficult to give a schedule for then a certification can be done. We can assume they are testing today (and also they are playing with Windows 7) and if there is no problems, the certification can be soon. But if they got some unexpected problems, it can take times before is is solved and as everyone knows, solving problems is a time consuming business which is quite unpredicted. (But ok, some sort of more openess would be wellcome, and will work as a competitive edge towards Adobe and Apple. Maybe in blogform, we start testing, every is fine after 50% test, uups, very difficult problem, and so on.).

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,830
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Red Ant et al....

I shoud have more later but for now I can say that Avid is testing Snow Leopard for use with MC and Symphony - as well as other Avid products. 

Stay tuned - will post again with a bit more scoop.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:22 PM In reply to

• romaneagle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 26 2008
    • California, USA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Do tell. Also, I still have M.C. 3.1. Can you certify that works? I don't plan to upgrade to 3.5+ until next tax year. Thanks!

Media Composer on a supped up Mac. I use eSATA G-RAID for external drive(s). [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 9:42 PM In reply to

• red ant
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,045

Marianna:

Red Ant et al....

I shoud have more later but for now I can say that Avid is testing Snow Leopard for use with MC and Symphony - as well as other Avid products. 

Stay tuned - will post again with a bit more scoop.

Marianna

sweet!  thanks for the update.  

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 11:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,830
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Romaneagle.....

I am not sure exactly where the cutoff will be but will run it to ground next week with QA.  They are done for the day in Tewksbury-land so I cant start checking until Monday.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Aug 29 2009 12:57 AM In reply to

• romaneagle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 26 2008
    • California, USA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Thanks! & Thanks for being so quick to status update!!! Impressive!

Media Composer on a supped up Mac. I use eSATA G-RAID for external drive(s). [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 29 2009 5:24 AM In reply to

• Torv
    • Not Ranked
    • Marin County, California
    • Posts 10
    • Points 190

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and Media Composer 3.5.4 seems to work fine.  It launches and I'm able to edit.  I'll post if any anomalies arise!

Later.

Torv

Mac OSX, Mac Book Pro [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller