Latest post Thu, Aug 27 2009 10:47 PM by maryd. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 19 2009 6:16 AM

• Colby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 23 2008
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,435

Deko vs. VIZRT

Can anyone give me a comparison between Deko and VIZRT?  Does Deko do what VIZRT can do?  Does it have a maps program?  Does it support full HD 3D graphics?  What's the difference between the 2 systems?

Colbers

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:49 AM In reply to

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

Re: Deko vs. VIZRT

I alternate between Viz Trio and Deko 3000 here.  Each have their strengths and weaknesses but I'm more of a Deko fan when all is said and done, simply because I feel Deko gives you more control over your graphics whilst you are on air.

The Viz system relies on templates being set up for each variation/style of graphic you want to air - everything aired throught the Viz Trio CG has to have been templated prior to use which can be great or a pain!  You need to plan well ahead and assess what each graphic will entail and how many different permutations/combinations might be required.

Admittedly the Viz Trio interface is better set up for an operator to use in a live on-air environment - you can easily animate graphics on and off with one simple button press.  And it responds quickly - I guess this is the beauty of using a high power nVidia QuadroFX card for output.

The Deko however is great if you need to chop and change your graphic templates during the show.  With Viz you must basically start up the Artist application, alter your templates, then go back into Trio - it isn't quick and easy like on the Deko which allows you to be a lot more 'hands on' with your graphics.  Deko is great for presenting a lot of textual information too - you get a lot of control in this area.

I'm looking forward to trying the Deko 5.2 software when our IT dept get off their behinds and install it as it appears Deko might finally offer some useful 3D functions although probably still nowhere near as powerful as Viz in this respect.

Avid don't seem to offer any sort of maps system for Deko - I guess you'd need to do this externally somehow and then pull it in with Deko?

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:04 AM In reply to

• Colby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 23 2008
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,435

Sounds interesting.  It sounds like Deko has 3D limitations that the VIZ doesn't have.  But it's promoted as a 3D system.  I'm a fairly novice VIZ user but have heard a lot about Deko.  And maps is key for me.  With the Curious Maps plug-in, I get a lot of control in this area that I don't think Deko provides.

Is it a necessity to have a Media Composer work in tandem with Deko or can it stand alone in a non-AVID environment.  And I assume that Deko renders in real-time or is there a wait while it renders for live playout?

Colbers

• Wed, Aug 26 2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• stustustu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 11 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 17
    • Points 215

You are correct - the ability to utilise 3D objects on Deko is relatively new, its predominantly a 2D based system with some recent 3D additions.

We use Deko as standalone and in conjunction with iNews so you definitely don't need Media Composer.  Yes, Deko renders its output in realtime (as HD/SD-SDI), or you can render the output to a number of file formats (AVI, MXF etc) instead for use elsewhere.

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 10:47 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

Deko is a standalone CG that can be driven manually or by various automation protocols, including but not limited to Avid Command, GPI Burst Box, X Keys etc... Deko works very well with live data from ODBC sources as well as with newsroom systems including Avid iNews and ENPS.

Our newest product, PostDeko for Editors, is a plug-in to News Cutter and Media Composer and allows the editor to add Deko graphics as an effect render directly in their edit session.

The recent 3D additions on Deko give you the ability to map Deko layers on to a Collada or .fbx model imported from other applications, such as Cinema 4D.  The Deko layers are dynamic - they can be updated via operator input, external data or MOS and will playout in 3D mapped to the model in real time.

Our main selling point is that Deko is still the easiest from concept to on air.  Creation of templates using Truetype or Open GL fonts, with imports of all the standard graphics file types, including Photoshop file import maintaining Photoshop layers and layer names, Quicktime .mov import and the new Collada and .fbx 3D file import, plus the ease of use and ability to run Deko in a fast paced live production, with changes on the fly, make it faster, easier and much appreciated by those who have to get it done, and get it done now.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller