Latest post Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:55 AM by faustfilm. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 26 2009 7:25 PM

• IBL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 32
    • Points 405

XDCAM EX - Media Offline problem with AMA volume mounting

Please help.

I read the manuals, watched the tutorials, can't figure this out...

I have EX-3 footage copied onto an external FW drive, folder structure intact.

I am able to "Link to AMA volume," which created new bins for each subfolder, and all the clips mounted and appear yellow with correct metadata fields, BUT they are all OFFLINE.  My project format/raster is 1080p/23.976/1920x1080.

The clips are XDCAM EX 35Mbits (1080p/23.976).

I've been able to import this footage using the old workflow through Sony Clip Browser but I'm eager to figure out the new workflow.

BTW, I just downloaded the 3.5.4 update. Is upgrading going to help? Are there any fixes related to the XDCAM workflow?

Please help ASAP.

Thank you!

Mac Pro 8-core / OSX 10.5.5 / MC 3.5.1 / Mojo SDI

MC 3.5.6 + SD Mojo OSX 10.5.5 Mac Pro 8-core 3Ghz 6 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Jul 26 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

• IBL
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 32
    • Points 405

Re: XDCAM EX - Media Offline problem with AMA volume mounting

NEVER MIND.  Here is the solution:

Just found an email from Bob Russo reminding me to make sure there are no wild characters in the folder names.

Took out an "#" and a couple of "/" and now it's working just fine!

MC 3.5.6 + SD Mojo OSX 10.5.5 Mac Pro 8-core 3Ghz 6 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 8:54 PM In reply to

• John O'Brien
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 29 2007
    • North Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

This was driving me absolutely nuts today, trying to figure this out! Thanks! Wink

MacPro 2 x2.66Ghz dual core, 16 GB RAM, MacOS 10.7.5, Avid MC 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• faustfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 14 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Hi, Guys.

I'm dealing with a similar situation here:

System: AVID MC 3.5.4, WinXp

I've imported XDCAM EX 35mbit via Link to AMA, which worked fine, started editing, everything ok. When I reopened the projekt a view days later, the seqence showed Media Offline, still playing audio, and not showing red clips (timeline setting set to: Clip Color: Media Offline). When match-framing on any clip within the timeline the clip monitor loads the proper clip, playing video and audio, while in timeline monitor it still says Media Offline. Even editing the online clip again to the timeline doesn't change the matter.

I tried moving the source files to the root folder. No changes.

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks

Bernie

• Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:50 PM In reply to

• Pope
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

Bernie -

First off, I'm not at all sure my experience is relavant, since you've found your way to the Mac MC forum, BUT:

Your symptoms sound reminescent of a bug on the first release of 3.5.4 where if you have more than one video track, media appears offline in the sequence, even when it's online in the bins. Did you by any chance add a video track since it was working normally?

If that's it, there's a patch, I understand, for 3.5.4, but I don't know if it relates to WinXP, nor can I tell you much about it. By the time I was ready to try 3,5,4 again from 3.5.1. 4.0 had come out, so that's where my machines are now.

good luck !

Brian Casey

Avid 1 = MC 4.05 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OS 10.5.7 Avid 2 = MC 4.02 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]

Brian Casey

• Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:39 PM In reply to

This sounds like a corrupted media database. To rebuild the media database files, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. This should sort things out and relink your timeline clips to the appropriate media.

And when moving files around, here are the media folder ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:55 AM In reply to

• faustfilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 14 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Thank you, people!

The hint to a 3.5.4 bug seemed to be helpful. At least it worked fine after upgrading to 4.0.2. Don't have time to go much deeper into work of developers... :-) So for me the trouble has solved.

@ Larry: thank you for your hints, these facts are well known to me, but there haven't been any Mediafiles directories yet, because of an AMA linked project. Anyway, I appreciate your answers!

Bye

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller