Latest post Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:30 PM by DekoCast Dave. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 21 2009 8:06 AM

• wael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • Posts 19
    • Points 330

Deko Memory Problem

Dears,

I've been having a problem when put so many graphics on DekoCast 3.6, graphics include DV files, TGA sequences, PNG sequences

it gives an error: Image Reader Error: Desc(CNxVideoHub::Alloc :Alloc failed)

please look at the attached picture,

usually it happens with DekoCast 3.6, but sometimes it happens with Avid DekoCast 4

• Tue, Jul 21 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

Re: Deko Memory Problem

Your CEL animations are probably using too much memory. Note that all frames of all CEL objects have to fit into Targa / Corsica video memory. You might try one or more of the following:

1. Reduce lengh of CEL animations. If you have parts that loop, use the looping commands of the CEL object rather than reapeating any frames. You might also try removing every other frame and running the CEL object at half speed. See the documentation for the command syntax.

2. Reduce the width and height of CEL frames. One common mistake is to make video frame sized CEL animations with most of each frame being transparent and a small animated logo over in the corner. You might also try reducing your CEL's by a factor of 2 in X and Y and then using the resizer to zoom it up again. They'll look a little softer but they'll also use 1/4 of the space.

3. Unload objects that are not in use. If you have many different CEL objects, where only one or a few are visisble at any one time, you might try unloading those not in use to free up more memory. Load the CEL's just before you need them. The same is true for Deko (mostly for full frame graphics) and Clip (cued or playing) objects. Unload a CEL by setting an empty file name.

As you work on a DekoCast (or Objex) scene, you can see how much memory is currently in use by looking at the Canvas parameter "memory total free". Make changes and then see what this number does. I don't recall if this is available in DekoCast 3.6.

Wade

• Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:49 AM In reply to

• wael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • Posts 19
    • Points 330

Thank you very much,

I know most of these tricks,

but in DekoCast 3.6 once we needed to put cell animation of TGA sequence with 250 frames, and there was only 3 objects in that scene and none of them was a tga sequence of video object, and gave that error, but on DekoCast 4 it worked fine,

any way, what is the minimum size of RAM you recommend?

because there's other solutions with 2GB RAM can take more graphics than DekoCast, isn't that somehow a bug?

• Thu, Jul 23 2009 2:23 PM In reply to

• maryd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 23 2006
    • Posts 12
    • Points 1,895
    • Moderator: Avid Motion Graphics

I agree with Wade, it is likely your current scene has either too many cel anims, the cel frames are too large, or some combination.  The general rule of thumb for SD cel amins is 200X200X200 (Width X Height X # of frames).  I have run cel anims of more than 200 frames and been OK, it is dependent on what else is happening in the scene.

I am uncertain of the recommended RAM, I believe that the RAM shipped with the system is what is recommended.  If you are having problems that you think may be a bug please contact Support.  They can assist you in gathering log files which can be analyzed to determine what the problem is. 

• Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

It's difficult to answer your question because there's not enough information supplied, but I'll give you some pointers. First, Targa sequences are loaded into and played out of RAM that is on the Video Card. At 3.6.7 and earlier, all systems were on a Targa Card which had a *fixed* on board RAM of 128MB. Not all of that RAM is available for Targa sequences.

When 4.0 was released, we also released a new Corsica card that had 1GB of on board RAM. 4.x software can also run with some older Targa based systems (as long as the serial number is not of teh from DC3xxx, where xxx are digits).

There is no way to increase the amount of RAM available on either the Corsica or the Targa, so there's no bug here. System RAM is a different matter and it is often a confusing topic. If you bring up Task Manager and go to the Performance pane then look at the lower left where it has "Commit Charge". If the number next to Peak is less than the total Physical Memory (2GB on newer systems), then adding more RAM will have no effect. You are not currently using all of the RAM available anyway. If you are running a Deko or DekoCast system and have not added any 3rd party packages, you will never go over the physical memory installed.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller