Latest post Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:49 PM by mua. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:49 PM

• mua
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 25 2009
    • Posts 53
    • Points 665

WARNING! Batch Import Fails if You Consolidate/Decompose QT files (Canon 5D Mark II)

Several weeks ago I posted a message asking for help because my Batch Imports of QT h.264 files (from Canon 5D Mark II) were failing.

BOTTOM LINE:  If you consolidate or decompose Quicktime h.264 footage then this action will be a one-time event and you will not be able to batch import that footage again (it will attempt to import the footage but the video will be faster and the audio does not import).  The downside of course is that the option of working in higher system performance DV 30i format and then switching your project to HD and batch importing the footage will not work. For that matter even a simple replace via Batch Import will not work.

THE GOOD PART:  Although it took a frustrating few weeks to get to the bottom of this issue, Avid customer support diligently worked through this issue with me and got to the bottom of it.  The support person updated me often and stayed on top of the issue.  They were truly concerned about getting this resolved for me.

THE FRUSTRATING PART:  Apparently this has been a KNOWN BUG for a few years now.  Even their customer support folks (including a Manager from Engineering who was on a call with me) were not aware of this bug.   So we basically wasted time and effort in experimentation and debugging for the last few weeks.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS OVERSIGHT?  Being new to Avid MC, I don't if there is an obvious place that would have listed this bug.  Given that even Avid customer support did not know this, tells me that if the bug listing exists, then it is in a very obscure place.  Can someone from Avid who is reading this, please bring this to the attention of the concerned folks?  In my mind, this should be clearly listed either in the user manual or some other clear way.  The support person who helped me has promised to create a knowledge base article on this for now.

WHEN WILL IT GET FIXED?  According to Avid's customer support, Engineering is still not sure whether the source of the issues lies in the Batch Import function or QT itself.  Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

P2 LIKE INTERFACE FOR CANON 5DII?  Given that this camera is now very popular even among professionals, isn't it time that Avid created a P2 like interface for h.264 QT files?

Hopefully this posting can save someone else the time and effort.

2019 Mac Pro 12 Core // 2017 MacBookPro // 2010 MacPro 6 core 3.33GHz [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller