Latest post Tue, Oct 6 2009 1:56 PM by Kirk Arnold. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 9:58 AM

Let's Ask Out Kirk ;)

I think we've expressed our appreciation and frustrations with Avid pretty well. While the dialogue should continue here, IMHO, how about a face-to-face with Kirk the next time she finds herself in LA?

We'll buy! Maybe first take her over to Terry's (I don't know him so I hope I didn't just put him out) and discuss MC, Symphony, etc. with the boxes in front of us. And then just have an opportunity to relax and talk in a more comfortable setting.

What do you say Kirk, will you go out with us?

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Jul 2 2009 3:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Re: Let's Ask Out Kirk ;)

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Maybe first take her over to Terry's

She's always welcome here.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Jul 2 2009 4:03 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Kirk would still be bound by stockmarket regulations so would not be able to tell you anything.

Better to invite some Wall Street analysts and tell them your fears, Avid management will respond to Wall Street!

• Thu, Jul 2 2009 4:11 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

If this is going to happen, keep us posted, I'd love to attend and chip in.  I'm in NY now but, I have a feature opening in LA soon and I might be making the trip.  Let us know.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 2 2009 10:08 PM In reply to

NICKB:

Kirk would still be bound by stockmarket regulations so would not be able to tell you anything.

I really don't need to know what Avid is doing, as the fruits will show up in the next product release.

What I think Avid is trying to understand and we are trying is explain what we like, dislike and want from Avid going forward. Sitting down with Kirk in front of a system and showing her these things would be very helpful, as would discussing in a more casual environment how we use editing tools and view the marketplace.

Sometimes it's just better to have a converstation in person.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Fri, Jul 3 2009 1:50 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Well yes it is always good to talk, however if Avid do not know by now the state of the industry and the needs of editors they never will, they have had loads of feedback and they have also been in the editing business since about 1990.

I think we just need to give them time to implement new things but they cannot tell us about what they are busy working on right now.

IBC 2009 is in september so we may get some new products then.

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 1:58 PM In reply to

• Kirk Arnold
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 23 2009
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 710
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Alright guys - this sounds like an offer I can't refuse! I will be in LA next Friday, July 17th. We spoke to Terry yesterday, and he is willing to host at his place on Friday evening  - so let's say we all meet from 6 to 8 pm on Friday, 7/17. I will bring along a few of my colleagues from the engineering team and we will come ready to listen, and share what we can!

To be sure we have enough space, please RSVP on this forum. If the numbers get too big, we can adjust location.

Thanks to Terry (as always!) for being the host - and thanks for the offer. Hope to see lots of you there!

Kirk

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 4:08 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 640
    • Points 8,490

Darn!!!  I would love to be there.  But, I'm not heading out to LA from NY for another couple of weeks.  This is a really nice thing for Kirk and the engineering team (and Terry) to do.  I'll bet it will be both a lot of fun and informative for everybody on both ends.  Maybe somebody wants to shoot some simple video of it and can post it here, after the event.

Have a great time and I'm so glad this all worked out.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 6:02 PM In reply to

Count me in.  Thanks.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 6:41 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Let's see Apple do 'DAT!

Big Smile

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 12:33 AM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

Be great if someone took a video camera to record the event.

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 2:33 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,140
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I'll be there.  Terry owes me some Guinness.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 2:40 PM In reply to

Well thank you very much Kirk and Terry! I'll be there and will try to bring a friend who's a long time Avid editor.

As for video taping, well personally I'm strongly against it, FWIW. The idea is to sit down and discuss in a more candid and informal way than we've been able to in the past. There is just no way taping (and posting it to the web) is going to allow for that. We would all be speaking with the camera in mind. I've been to the larger taped Avid events; they are invariably careful presentations--even the Q&A at the end.

I don't want to be videoed, but more importantly I don't think it's fair to ask Kirk and the engineers from Avid to be speaking for all the world to see. Recording adds a need for gloss and for corporate speak that an informal meeting like this is specifically designed to minimize. Of course it's Avid and Terry's call.

Thanks again Kirk and Terry. Smile

• Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:02 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Work schedule allowing, I'll be there. Last time I had a chance to chat with Kirk was at the 'new thinking' event at Universal City a couple years ago. Should be fun.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

BobbyMurcerFan:
    s for video taping, well personally I'm strongly against it, FWIW. The idea is to sit down and discuss in a more candid and informal way than we've been able to in the past.

Agreed!!!!

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller