Latest post Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:18 PM by Richard Ward. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 28 2009 6:54 PM

• Kay Anderson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toledo, Ohio
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,610

changing & saving project settings in Avid Xpress DV

When I search for this I am only finding help for later Avid systems...not Xpress DV...and the manual is not making it clear to me.  The main project setting I'm concerned about right now is the media creation settings.  I want every project to automatically put its media in a specific place.  While in Avid I click on Settings/media creation/....and I assign my drives for that project.  To make it easy I filter out the launch and system drives and assign all media to, say "K.".(for that project)

first question...how do you save that project setting for that job so that when you come back in the media creation will be correct?  Right now, after making the change, I go to the file menu and click "save all."  Then, when I exit Avid and come back into that particular project, it has defaulted back to the old media creation drive.

2nd question:  What's the point of "file/new setting file?"  All you get is a white window named "untitled?"  You can't click in it; you can't change "untitled" to any name.  It just sits there. 

If somebody could take me through the process of changing my media creation settings for a particular project....so that they don't revert back...that would be wonderful.

Kay

Dell Precision 340 Workstation Win XP Pent 4, 1.80 Ghz 512 MB ram ACPI Uniprocessor PC Disk drives: IC35l120 avva07-0 SCSI (x2) Prolific PL3507... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 28 2009 7:07 PM In reply to

Re: changing & saving project settings in Avid Xpress DV

Kay:

The blank window you're seeing is the site settings window and the answer to your problem. Any project setting that you want to apply globally you simply drag that setting into the site settings window. So you would drag your media creation settings there. However, be advised that there is a long standing anomaly that results in media creation settings NOT being consistently honored as site settings. So always double check your destination drives everytime you render, import, capture, create titles, and do mixdowns.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jun 28 2009 9:02 PM In reply to

• Kay Anderson
    • Not Ranked
    • Toledo, Ohio
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,610

Larry -

Thanks so much!  I'll try that but since my last post I really ran into a problem that I'll post with a different heading.  Thanks again...

K

Dell Precision 340 Workstation Win XP Pent 4, 1.80 Ghz 512 MB ram ACPI Uniprocessor PC Disk drives: IC35l120 avva07-0 SCSI (x2) Prolific PL3507... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 29 2009 7:34 PM In reply to

• Kay Anderson
    • Not Ranked
    • Toledo, Ohio
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,610

it worked!  At least one thing good happened today.

Thank you...

K

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 7:36 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. Always glad to help out.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:11 PM In reply to

I have a student who accidentally imported and edited NTSC 30i footage as a PAL project. Is there any way to change the project setting from PAL to NTSC, or to import the footage and timeline into a new NTSC project?

Thanks

HP HPE-410t, Quad Intel Core i5 2.8GHz, 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420, 1Tb system drive, 1Tb data drive [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:18 PM In reply to

The project cannot be switched.  If you have a newer version of Media Composer, it can mix frame rates.  So, you can start an NTSC project, and then open the Bins from the PAL project.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:18 PM In reply to

OK. Thanks.

HP HPE-410t, Quad Intel Core i5 2.8GHz, 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 420, 1Tb system drive, 1Tb data drive [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller