Latest post Sun, Jun 14 2009 11:43 AM by general_failure. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 9:49 PM

Independent Waveform/Vectorscope Tool

This is something that has been needed for quite some time. From the tools pulldown, an independent, resizable waveform/vectorscope window, available in any mode. And it MUST update in real time as adjustments are being made.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 10:04 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Re: Independent Waveform/Vectorscope Tool

That's for sure. Although, I can't wait any longer. I'm going to order the Blackmagic Ultrascope.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 10:11 PM In reply to

Everywhere I've ever worked, there's always been a Tektronix Waveform Monitor, Vectorscope or a combo. I'll always prefer a high quality stand-alone scope for critical hardware troubleshooting as well as work done within the color correction mode. Timing adjustments that are critical down to the nanosecond require a magnified, detailed display that only a stand-alone can provide. But the virtual scopes in Avid have improved noticeably from what they were 10 years ago. For those who can't afford to buy real scopes, these are now a credible alternative. But they need to be more accessible and I repeat, they must continuously update in real time.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 9:09 AM In reply to

How many times have similar requests been made, esp. for realtime scopes?

This highlights how ineffective the product features request section is.

Carl, who is very helpful and nice, has for some reason strongly fought against this idea. But I am sick and tired of seeing feature requests just being passed over.

Here is a link to the suggestion of reworking this forum's layout: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/61764.aspx

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

I'd like the scopes too, it's a must for broadcast type of work, and yes Larry, real hardware scopes are better for serious work, but still a quick and reliable tool to check the signal is a must for Avid as well: most of the times the scopes are in a separate room along with decks and whatever, editors must have scopes inside the NLE.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Jun 14 2009 1:39 AM In reply to

A long time ago the Avid Input Waveform monitor used to give you an updating luminance and vectorscope display of the video output. It would be nice to have realtime scopes back again.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 14 2009 11:43 AM In reply to

Yes Definitely a feature we could use. And as stated in this thread other NLEs already offer that feature.

And we need it in a freely resizeable window! And as many instances of this tool as my CPU can handle (e.g. one set up as vector scope, one as RGB parade)!

Larry Rubin:
    I'll always prefer a high quality stand-alone scope for critical hardware troubleshooting as well as work done within the color correction mode. ... But the virtual scopes in Avid have improved noticeably from what they were 10 years ago. For those who can't afford to buy real scopes, these are now a credible alternative. 

YES! And don't forget those "in-the-field" editors, where any kilogramm more equipment means more to schlepp around.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller