Latest post Tue, Oct 6 2009 2:06 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 11 2009 5:05 AM

Media Management Issue

Hello,

I've just installed a new 500 gig drive in my MacPro and doing some media management/organizing. I'm trying to consolidate media to the new drive (MEDIA 3) but when I process MEDIA 1 drive, I get an error message.

I tried deleting the two data base files in the MXF & OMFI folders but it did not help.

any ideas?

thanks

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 5:27 AM In reply to

Re: Media Management Issue

"... when I process MEDIA 1 drive ..."

What does "process" mean?  Meanwhile, did you move both video and audio to the new drive?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 5:39 AM In reply to

"process"...I mean using the media tool to scan it and consolidate. I did not manually drag files via finder becaue it might mess everything up.

Can I just do that?--drag media files form one drive to another following the exact folder/location setting?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:43 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

kumusta

If trashing the MDBs did not work, then you've got file or files that are corrupted.  Best bet in sorting this out 
    is to do what Avid support calls divide and conquer.

Step 1 before launching MC rename the existing OMFI or MXF folder.  Best way of doing this is putting an X in
    front of the first letter.  Folder will be called XOFMI (example).  Avid will not scan the folder as it has an unknown
    name now

Step 2 launch MC, open any project then by using the Audio tool, write a short clip of audio to your suspect drive partition.
    By doing this, you will create a new OMFI or MXF folder. 

Step 3 in your renamed  folder, sort the contents by either date or size, (date works the best) and start to move the content
    of the old OMFI folder into the new OMFI folder then make MC active.  Move the files at the desktop level, hide the open
    application from the finder and you won't have to relaunch MC after moving each batch of files,  The databases will get refreshed.  Once you've discovered the offending clip or clips then delete these and reingest

HTH 

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:49 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    Can I just do that?--drag media files form one drive to another following the exact folder/location setting?
    If my experience of doing ALL my media management that way for well over a decade means anything. Then YES

I copy the media across. Use the OS get info on both folders to make sure all the original and copied file sizes are identical then delete the originals.

If I am paranoid I take the extra step of rename the original Avid MediaFiles folder so Avid cannot see it. Then open Avid and the project to make sure Avid is happy with the media in its new location before deleting the original files.

Despite dire warnings against it by some here in my experience you can be pretty cavalier with chucking your media about .... as long as you conform to the directory structure Avid requires for media at the new destination.

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 8:11 AM In reply to

"... you can be pretty cavalier with chucking your media about .... as long as you conform to the directory structure ..."

Agreed.  Back when I was doing phone support at Avid Burbank, we'd frequently get calls about these mysterious error messages, "Disk Full".  What could that mean, the customer would ask.  Well, we'd explain it, and then spend the next little while moving media from full drives to less-full drives.  Once we load-balanced the drives, and the media databases rebuilt, all was right with the world again.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 8:21 AM In reply to

I love this community! Thanks guys. You gave me the strength to divide and conquer.

mvegas, have you been to te Philippines?

--

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 9:20 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Yes.  My wife is Filipina.  I understand some Tagalog (and know enough to duck when she gets mad at me)
    he he he 

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 9:26 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Randy is right. One of the neat things you could do back then is to color code the clips you intended to move.  Why this was important is once the clips were moved you had to then go back to the original drive and delete the moved clips. 

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 3:04 PM In reply to

Hey!  I still color code my media when I move OMFI/MXF files around. Big Smile

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 3:54 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,400

off topic but TikBoy is my sisters nick name ;) yes were from the Islands too :)

great to see an Avid user in the Phillipines :)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 13 2009 8:26 AM In reply to

feels like home! yes. there's a handful of Pinoy Avid users. I know that the two giant TV networks here uses Avid.

Color code? how? is it like you do in your clips/bins?

--

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 8:40 AM In reply to

Well, we're talkin' mid-90's when I first did that.  There was a "Label" option off the Finder pulldown menu .... from there you'd pick the color you wanted.

(wwld)

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 12:04 PM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

My sis-in-law works for GMA 7 as a writer/producer. Her current assignment is Survivor Philippines. She was onsite in Thailand during the shooting of last season's shooting of Survivor.  

• Sat, Jun 13 2009 12:07 PM In reply to

Ok gotcha...the label in Finder.

I'm still a little puzzled by the divide n conquer method. FYI, MC launches and works fine even with the suspected corrupted media in one of my drive. I only get the error message when I open the media tool. So, do I still need to try that?

Thanks.

--

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller