Latest post Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:28 PM by sweetmadness. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:46 PM

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

delete registry files

I am doing a clean uninstall, prior to install upgrade.

it says, to , remove the registry keys,

hklm/software/avid technology/media composer

hklm/software/avid technology/AVX plug-ins.

i do not have the first file, and the second one is in the screen shot, do i delete the entire folder or the contents or is this a file. 

any help would be appreciated, i dont want to remove registry keys i may need.

do i actually delete the whole folder or all files/ content in the folder?

media composer 3.0 ( upgrading today to 3.1.3.2 Windows XP Pro SP3 dell precision 470 work station 2 x dual Xeon 3.2 ghz processors 4 gb ram quadro fx... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:57 PM In reply to

Re: delete registry files

If you uninstall all of your AVX plugins, this is an empty reference.

But even leaving it here can't harm as it doesn't point to any specific plugin but more on the folder itself.

It will be recreated anyway.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:13 PM In reply to

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

I uninstalled all of the avid software, through add/remove files.  if this unistalled the avx plugins then i did so, if there is another action i need to do to uninstall the avx plugins, what is it? 

Coming from no expereince dealing with registry i am being very cautious.

what you saw in the screen shot is what my registry looked liked after a complete uninstall of everything avid in my add/remove programs application.

what is in the avx-plug in folder is what is left on my system.  should i delete the contents of this folder, in other words should i highlight the 5 items in the avx-plug in folder and hit delete??

want it to be a clean install, this will be the 3rd time doing this, as i have learned a bit more each time.

thanks for your input

media composer 3.0 ( upgrading today to 3.1.3.2 Windows XP Pro SP3 dell precision 470 work station 2 x dual Xeon 3.2 ghz processors 4 gb ram quadro fx... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:17 PM In reply to

In general if you uninstalled everything regarding Avid, anything pointing in Avid is useless.

Some time registry files are left over by the installers.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 9:28 PM In reply to

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

In the avid MC read me file, it says to do the following after uninstalling the old version and prior to installing the new version, under the heading

CLEANING UP FOLDERS BEFORE INSTALLATION

2.Remove the follwoing registry keys on your system if they still exist after the uninstallation provess,

HKLM/software/avid technology/media composer

Hklm/software/avid technology/avx plug-ins

I want to follow the inistructions in the read me file, so i want to "remove these registry keys".  However I am unclear as to weather i remove the entire path, the folder, or the contents of the folder?  do i remove all folders with the word avid in it? 

I have the following registry keys ( or paths )

hklm/software/avid technology/avx plug-ins  ( followed by 5 items

hklm/software/avid technology/direct sound

hklm/software/avid technology/dotty

hklm/software/avid technology/user mode

hklm/software/avid technology, Inc./avid INstall All/1.0

hklm/software/avid/dongle

SHOULD I DELETE all the master folders called?

avid

avid technology

avid technology, INc

Will this give me a proper folder cleanup prior to reinstall?

or should i leave it alone, and install the new version.

keeping in mind that i have done the follwoing.

1. installed version 3.0 overtop of my old version 2.7 (MC)

2. uninstalled version 3.0 and reinstalled.

3.  now unistalled version 3.0, and i am trying to do what the read me file says, ie in cleaning up the old folders, and registry, and reinstalling version 3.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller