Latest post Thu, Jun 4 2009 11:25 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 30 2009 2:12 AM

Uninstalling Bad Fonts

Hello,

This may sound so easy but I cannot seem to find a way to find my recently installed fonts.

I'm using a MacPro as an Avid Media Composer workstation. We needed to install several foreign fonts but for some reason, it conflicted with Avid.

I tried but I cannot remember and cannot sort out the fonts by installation date.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

-ervz

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Sat, May 30 2009 7:50 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Re: Uninstalling Bad Fonts

By clicking on the font in the fonts control panel you can discover the install date and kind of font.  In Mac classic all one needed to do is to create a folder in the systems folder and call it disabled fonts.  Neither Avid nor the OS would see the disabled fonts ( 128 active fonts were all one could have in Mac OS 8 or you'd get a Mac -41 error.  I know... must be the coffee at this hour of the night)

• Mon, Jun 1 2009 6:19 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,965

Hey,

In your Applications folder there is a program called "Font Book."

Click on "all fonts" or a specific group such as "Korean" and the font names will be displayed on the right.

Click on the checkmark icon down at the bottom of the window to disable one font, or an entire group.

Then restart MC.

You could try disabling one half of the entire list first, and if the program runs you've just narrowed your search by 50%.

The system font for OSX cannot be disabled (Geneva I think) so don't worry about that.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 9:04 AM In reply to

Ok. Will try that.

Now, I just need to find out how to get the SubCap effect back. I think that was the one they told me to trash so I can launch AvidMC.

tHANKS!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:02 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,289
    • Points 28,260
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Fonts can be installed in a number of places and are often very difficult to track down a corrupt one:

Users/~/Library/Fonts

Library/Fonts

System/Library/Fonts

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

It sounds like you're going to need Font Management software. Try Linotype FontExplorer to check for corrupt fonts and to selectivly enable/disable fonts until you figure out which one is corrupt. There's a free version that should do what's needed.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 6:03 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 518
    • Points 5,965

You deleted caption.avx?  Well since you can't put it back you'll probably have to reinstall the program.  Just run the MC uninstaller and then reinstall.  This will not disturb any of your projects or plugins.

Bob, I don't think he has a corrupt font, I think he just has an incompatible one.  But maybe there isn't much of a difference.

If you can find caption.avx on your hard drive, it needs to be copied back into the MC package.

CTRL-Click on Media Composer in your Applications folder and select "show package contents."

Navigate to Contents-->SharedSupport-->AVX_2plug-ins

This is the folder where caption.avx belongs.  To disable caption.avx it just needs to be out of the package, not necessarily deleted.

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2009 11:25 AM In reply to

Thank you.

Yes. I kept the caption.avx file. I'm still trying to sort out my fonts by the date installed. Someone told me to use the fontBook but I do not know how to show the install date.

--

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller