Latest post Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:51 AM by vietnambooking8. 143 replies.
Page 5 of 10 (144 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 9 2006 6:09 PM In reply to

Re: Another Avid Media Database FREE Tool - MDV

vvp:
    I have also noticed that on different Avid systems, sometimes the Media Tool does not delete all the media files at the end of a project.

QFT

In fact in my case, Media Tool NEVER deletes ALL of the media files.

I've even experimented with consolidating a project to a newly formatted media drive, then immediately trying to delete the newly created media on that drive using Avid's media management tools. I always end up with a ton of data left over.

The Avid supplied tools are so bad at cleaning up media (or I'm just and idiot... or a combination of both Smile [:)]), that I just reformat my media drives after every project as part of my overall workflow.

Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 9 2006 9:33 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 443
    • Points 5,795

Not sure if this is the place for feature requests but it would be nice to also have a precompute only option (like media tool).. its nice to delete old un-needed renders everynow and then... -c
    MC 2018.12.1, diy x299 7940x 4.7ghz OC, 1080ti, 128gb ram, w10 pro (1803) DM me on instagram for tech Q's: dvhaime [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 4:25 AM In reply to

"a precompute only option (like media tool)"

This will work for deleting "all" precomputes, but wouldn't be as helpful for selective deletion.  Media Tool has the ability to delete only "unused" precomputes.  This is accomplished using the Select Media Relatives option in the Fast Menu, and then reversing the selection.

A precomputes option would be a good add-on, but understand it's limitations.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Oct 10 2006 10:53 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'd quite like to see a simple way to delete re-creatable precomputes (Dissolves, Colour Correction, PiP, etc) - basically everything except Matte graphics. Nothing annoys me more than nuking Precomputes and then realising that I've also trashed my imported graphics. I realise I can filter, but I feel those types of Precomputes should be distinct from Render outputs. Avid Media Tool or MDV, I'd love to have an easy way to do that.

Also, and I haven't done this in MDV for a few builds, but the last time I tried to Move, Copy or Delete media with it, I found that it seems to execute a distinct action for each file, rather than one action for the whole list.

So to delete 5,000 media files this means confirming the delete action 5,000 times in the Windows dialog that pops up (until you disable confirmation). For copy and move operations this means no total time estimate or progress bar (not that either is often that accurate in Windows, but it's nice anyway). It's been a while since I did any Windows programming, but I believe the Windows APIs allow for multiple file operations. So that would be nice to have in a future version (or maybe as a option?)
    Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Oct 10 2006 4:14 PM In reply to

One way to protect imported graphics from being accidently deleted is to always import them into a "special" project just for that purpose.  Then, in your other projects, launch Media Tool with the "Current Project" option.  The graphics in that "special" project won't even be displayed.

But, yes, I too wish Avid could differentiate between them.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Oct 10 2006 7:35 PM In reply to

How do I get the latest version of this great sounding tool?
    DELL Precision 670 dual 3.0GHZ Windows XP SP2 Quicktime 7.3 Windows Media Player 11 Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 (slot 1) Video driver 91.85. 3 gigs RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 10:10 PM In reply to

From page 1 of this post ...

Here is the download page. There is no English text on the page, but the program is in English.

http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/

(wwld)

• Wed, Oct 11 2006 2:52 PM In reply to

• Jaakko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 10 2006
    • Posts 19
    • Points 250

A lot better than media tool- One more time thanks!

Hi!

We have two Lanshare-servers running and several weekly tv-shows/programmes in production almost 365 days a year. Cleaning the servers has been constant problem since Media Tool does NOT delete stuff it should. We have had to delete *.* in Windows several times a year to get by. The situation to be able to format drives is not easy to get when You have 20-30 people ingesting their materials in several locations....

Now when support for lanshare drives is here, this is perfect!

Also to be able to check the omf and aif files with a player is great. (it does work, but first extract all to system32 and register from there!).

So thank you very much! Very helpful work. Put up a paypal-system or something like that... ;-)

• Mon, Oct 16 2006 9:00 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 304
    • Points 4,025

Updated once again.... take a look at my download page
    my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.13.6 MC 2019.7 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Mon, Oct 16 2006 11:15 PM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

I commend you on your work. I use it all the time for archiving/moving etc., however to delete files it takes too long in my case. For instance, deleting media that shows 1254 items it's been 15 minutes now & 560 to go still.

By chance, I just tried the ESC key to cancel, but no go. Any plans to implement that or some kind of cancel function/button in the future?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a choice of not sending files to the recycle bin. For those of us that are sure we really want files to go POOF & not masquerade in the recycle bin, it would be nice to have a choice Smile [:)]

Bill
    HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Thu, Oct 19 2006 7:15 AM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 304
    • Points 4,025

do you have the latest build&

i don't know why it takes so long time.
    When i delete(on my computers) 7000 items it takes 5-20 secons(depends on item size).
    may be you have any antivirus software installed or someting else

esc key works.  check again. (is MDV window in focus)

sometimes deleting to recycle bin saves important media

my zoo: NEXIS Pro 40 tb sw v18.6.1; MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.13.6 MC 2019.7 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Thu, Oct 19 2006 8:10 AM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

Thanks for responding.

There's no anti-virus running or installed for that matter. It's never been connected to the net & will stay that way.

The MDV window has always been in focus when trying the ESC key. Using the earlier versions through the latest, it's never worked for me.

The slowness & this ESC to cancel thing must just be something going on with my system. The strange thing is though, there's no problem with any other programs... all run smooth & fast.

Bill
    HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

• Fri, Oct 20 2006 8:52 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'm getting a 404 error on the download site now.

If you need a new host DJFio, I'm sure a few of us here could probably help.
    Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, Oct 26 2006 8:16 PM In reply to

• beazer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 12 2006
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Does this work on Macs?
  • Mon, Nov 13 2006 4:28 AM In reply to

• Ben Jordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Greenville, SC
    • Posts 29
    • Points 235

page is back up, showing the latest Oct 23 release
    2x [MCA | xw8000 dual 3.06GHz | 2GB ram | 4 x 36G u320LVD raid | Quadro FX1100 | 2 x Sony 20" LCDs] • 1x [XPro+mojo | xw8400 quad 5150's | 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 5 of 10 (144 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller