Latest post Mon, May 25 2009 3:47 PM by vpcmike. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 13 2009 4:17 PM

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

how to get a list of all workspaces via commandline?

Hello,

is there a way to get a list of all workspaces via commandline and put it to a text file?

I tried net share \\servername but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

My goal is to write a little tool that scans all workspaces on a unity for avid-projects to backup them.

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 13 2009 10:42 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

Re: how to get a list of all workspaces via commandline?

via Portsertver? or via Fibre? and with that OS?

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Thu, May 14 2009 9:01 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

It's a windows 2003 based Mediamanager 5.1 Unity. My tool should run directly on the unity to backup all projects at night.

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2009 5:42 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

You want to run the Backup tool "on the Unity Engine"? to a NAS? It can be done but i would do it on the client side not on the server. and im not sure if you can dynamically access the partition pool unless avid shares those information Big Smile

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon

Head Janitor

• Fri, May 15 2009 7:47 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

I only need a list of the workspace names. You can easily access the workspaces if you have the name. You can do that directly on the server or any client.

with robocopy.exe you can directly access a path like \\server\workspace\dir

Or you can mount a workspace to a drive letter with net use x: \\server\workspace.

But i haven't found a way to get the list of all workspaces yet.

regards,

udo

• Fri, May 15 2009 10:25 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 397
    • Points 5,110

I have a mac client on our system with which I can run a script that runs the command 'ls -l /Volumes >> workspaces.txt' This give me a file with what workspaces are mounted. It also shows me every other thing that is mounted so using a small script I parse out other known volumes (and other data I don't need). It is not elegent but using this and rsync I can automate backups easily even when a new workspace is created it will see it and back it up. The only factor here is to make sure that all workspaces are mounted before midnight which is when the script runs and make sure I update the script if I add a local hard drive to the system. 

-cable

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 16 2009 5:24 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Don't run this crap on the engine-   I will only warn you once.

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Mon, May 18 2009 7:54 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

@cable thanks for the tip, but i like to get a list of all workspaces, not only the mounted ones.

@DocAvid: I do backup all projects via script every night on my engine, never had any problems, so why a you warning? Do you know any problems that may occur?

So i repeat my first question: How can i get a list of all (without mounting them) workspaces via commandline? If anybody knows how to get the data via win32/c++ commands please let me know too.

thanks,

udo

• Mon, May 18 2009 4:58 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Only once, dude.

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Mon, May 18 2009 5:39 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

I second here on the Backing up from the Server Engine.

Regarding the List of Partition, there is no way you can do it unless Avid Engineers will give you that information. i have a script that automatically backup media files but i have to  update partition list everytime i change or add partition.

I'm with you on that, but i have been to that alley and it wont get you anywhere.

------

Ted Simbajon

Head Janitor

• Tue, May 19 2009 9:00 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

@Doc Avid: your post is not very helpful. Tell us why you warn me, what will happen / has happend in your experience? How i said before i ran my little batch file to archive several projects folders over a year every night an never had any problems.

• Wed, May 20 2009 1:06 AM In reply to

I agree with DocAvid...  And as he knows Unity better then anybody else I advice you to follow his advice anytime!

Do not run this on the server but spend a few dollars on a PC and if needed an extra license to run the backup process on a client. Connect the backup media to this PC. By creating a "backup" user on the Unity and giving it access to the workspaces you want to backup you can automate the whole process without getting into the unsupported domain.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, May 20 2009 5:36 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

udosauer:

@Doc Avid: your post is not very helpful. Tell us why you warn me, what will happen / has happend in your experience? How i said before i ran my little batch file to archive several projects folders over a year every night an never had any problems.

If followed, my post is more helpful then you will ever know.

This isn't twitter,  drop the @ crap

• Wed, May 20 2009 9:03 AM In reply to

Maybe I'll try to help with my "limited" knowledge so what I'm saying could be b^%ll but I'll give it a try.

udosauer:
    You can easily access the workspaces if you have the name.

Have you ever shut down all your clients?

If your system is like mine, you will see that all workspaces unmount on the server when you do that. This is done so Unity only shares that what the clients ask it to share saving resources and drive letters. When these workspaces mount again they can have other drive letters. This can be fixed by editing the ini file of the portserver. But don't forget to change the ini file when changing workspaces..

But still without a client., how will you locally see on the unity the workspaces if they are not shared? It would require a "local" client on the Unity server. A local client exist in the form of the monitor tool/administration tool that connect to the portserver and fileserver, but those do not offer backup functionality that you need. (Maybe a nice feature request).

You can connect to the portserver through telnet. Open a dos promt. type "telnet localhost 6010". then type "cccc" (this will not echo) and then you are connected. But as fas as I know you can't see the workspaces this way.

Bottom line. Projects should not be spread around the unity. If for security reasons you want each project to have its own workspace my experience is you will run out of drive letters on the Unity making your attempt to do a local backup impossible. So my projects are all in 1 workspace except when a client specifically asks to have his own project workspace. I manually backup those workspaces to another pc every once in a while.

If you want it automated what is your problem with doing it on a client?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, May 20 2009 10:07 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

@doc Avid (@is not twitter-crap, it's common in forums since years and i like it)

I have a little problem to follow your advice, because i don't know you and i still don't know why running a little backup-script on a server should do any harm. I have no problem to follow any advice but i have to know a good reason. As i said before i do my backups every day over a year and never had any problems. If this practice is dangerous please proof it.

btw i found a way to get all workspace names there are three win32 functions (WNetOpenEnum, WNetEnumResource and WNetCloseEnum) that will do the job. I'll write a small app that returns these names.

regards,

Udo

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller