Latest post Tue, May 5 2009 4:56 PM by BLKDOG. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 23 2009 1:36 AM

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 9 2006
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

Unity Media Net Server

I have a unity media server file manager, it has two fiber channel cards installed. I have a Media Dock with 8 drives. I would like to know what else would i need to connect this system to a symphony v5 mac with fiber channel card, and a Media Composer software v3 PC..

Thanks

Sam King

Avid Media Composer Software v3 running on MacBook Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 23 2009 2:08 AM In reply to

Re: Unity Media Net Server

The MediaDock is SCSI, not fiber.  Just curious, how did you end up with a File Manager, and no fiber storage?

What type & version of File Manager?  You'll need fiber enclosure(s) and fiber drives, a fiber switch, fiber cables .....

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 3:08 AM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

got it on ebay. so i will need fiber storage, switch, and fiber cables... should that do it? I belive it's v 4.1

thanks

Avid Media Composer Software v3 running on MacBook Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 23 2009 3:24 AM In reply to

"... so i will need fiber storage, switch, and fiber cables ..."

You need "Avid" fiber drives, because they have the proper firmware on them.  You need the Avid approved fiber switch so the Avid-provided firmware and switch configurations (port zoning) will work.  You need the correct make/model of fiber cards in the clients, loaded with the Avid-provided firmware & drivers.

Does the File Manager have a dongle on the back?  If it's v4.1, then it would be attached to the parallel port.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

i see so a little more to it. Thanks for the info :-)

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 4:27 PM In reply to

"... i see so a little more to it .."

Yeah, there is.  Just a an FYI. the Unity ACSR Certifiction Course is 5 days.  Even for those of us that are certified. the setup is extremely detailed.

(wwld)

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Not only that but MC 3.5.x is not qualified on a Unity 4.0 setup/client.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 4:54 PM In reply to

Well, yeah, there's that too :)

(wwld)

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 5:27 PM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

Thanks for all the info, it will help me keep sane:-)

• Tue, May 5 2009 4:20 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

BLKDOG:

Not only that but MC 3.5.x is not qualified on a Unity 4.0 setup/client.

That statement is NOT true.

Media Composer 3.5 for XP, Vista and Leopard (10.5.5 / 10.5.6 ) is qualified to use Unity 4.1.6  4.2.4 and 5.0.1    Page 11, release notes for Composer 3.5.

Since the OP believes his system is Unity 4.1,  he'll be fine with 4.1.6.

And--  Since most don't consider Unity 5 qualified for any 100% Uptime environment, such as Broadcast-  there will be serious problems the day that Composer will not use Unity 4.x

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, May 5 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Actually, at the time I wrote that, I was under the inpression that this was 4.0, not 4.1 and, at that time, we had not qualified 3.5 on Unity 4.0.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller