Latest post Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:29 PM by Marc. 125 replies.
Page 9 of 9 (126 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 10 2010 9:01 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

Re: Mojo DX performance?

Dom Q. Silverio:

But yes, if you have a quad core dual CPU config you can capture DNxHD with Mojo DX.

It sure would be nice if Avid would publish a chart that showed what level of CPUs (for Mac and Windows) are required to support realtime encoding during capture to DNxHD with MojoDX.

When we sell a Matrox MXO2 for FCP, we tell customers that you require 4 cores (either quad-core or dual dual-core) for capturing directly into ProRes. Wouldn't / shouldn't Avid want their custoemrs to have the same information for MojoDX?

Gary

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Jan 10 2010 9:27 PM In reply to

• blafarm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 21 2006
    • Posts 300
    • Points 3,985

I agree.

In my opinion, Avid has done a terrible job of disseminating information about these two devices -- how they differ from each other -- and how their performance relates to the computer host platform they are attached to.  This thread, amongst many, is evidence of that fact.

The manuals for the Mojo DX and Nitris DX are equally shameful -- especially for products at this price-point.

Trust me when I say that I am not trying to score belligerent bashing points for slamming Avid.  I'm actually a big fan of the company and the product.  However, when did it become acceptable to market products without describing in detail what they do -- and what they can't do?  And how can you not provide your professional customer base with the information they need to make intelligent decisions about how their edit bays are configured?

• Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:27 AM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 227
    • Points 3,040

Solopost, blafarm, videoguy, Dom Q., thanks for all your input ...

Someone from Avid engineering needs to step into this thread and give a shout out, this product is far too costly for its features to be so misunderstood and communicated ...

so how about it, a courtesy call from someone in the know at head office? put to rest the various conflicting ideas about what can and cant be done with the MojoDX in regards to its DNx capture capability?  My capital spending is occuring now, and I need solid information to put my new HD suite together, especially as it relates to what the edit hardware at the center of it all can do for me

please and thank you

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

• Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:36 AM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 227
    • Points 3,040

I have found an Avid Knowledge Base Article titled: Capturing DNxHD 200 and 220x With Ancillary Data On A z400 Based System, it says the following:

The Media Composer ReadMe states: Due to software DNx codec performance requirements, you must have a dual quad core system in order to capture DNxHD 220 or 220x with ancillary data on the Avid Nitris DX or the Avid Mojo DX platform.  Does this apply to the z400, a single quad core system with hyperthreading enabled. To clarify, no this does not apply. The z400 with hyperthreading enabled does have sufficient power to support this type of capture. 

is this what I am looking for?  is Avid stating that my z400 CAN capture DNxHD (say, from M2000 or even a JH3) over HD-SDI?  but what was Solopost saying about post-capture transcoding, do I still need to do that - before I output or before i start to edit?  and what exactly is meant by 'ancillary data' in this context?

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:32 AM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 227
    • Points 3,040

further to what I said, above, about z400 with hyperthreading enabled ... I am just guessing here, but doesnt a hyperthreaded processor allow two threads to run simultaneously on each core, so a quad core cpu (in this case, the 2.93 GHz W3540) has eight virtual cores, thus meeting the requirement stated by Dom Q. and others that you need 8 cores to render DNx in real time?  I hope this is the case, but am waiting for more clarification

• Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:29 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 17 2010
    • germany
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

Hi there.

Is there anybody who tried to capture HD content on a qualified Mobile Workstation/Laptop...no matter if PC or Mac. Is the DNxHD capture disabled or is it just related to the power of that laptop if it works or not.

Is it Possible to capture DVCPro HD or XDCam HD through the Mojo DX or is the only HD capture Format to set the DNxHD Codec...?

So the main question is...if it´s possible to capture any HD Content via the Mojo DX Box on mobile Systems...?

Page 9 of 9 (126 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller