Latest post Thu, Apr 23 2009 4:04 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 22 2009 10:00 AM

Resolutions for Capture/Import

Hi,

Please enlighten me.

Is there a benefit for capturing DV materials to half or even lower reoslution? Say, I am initially woring with a laptop and a small USB drive but plans to upres and finish on a full system.

Also, please explain the different reslutions available. Which ones goes up/down?

Thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Apr 22 2009 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Resolutions for Capture/Import

Hi,

If you've got limited drive space, capturing at a lower resolution and finishing at a higher resolution is a good way to go.  Also, if you're cutting initially on an underpowered machine with a USB drive, you could get better performance using lower resolution media.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 2:53 AM In reply to

Thanks Carl!

Now, please explain the different ratios and resolutions (attached). In othere words, which ones goes lower and which ones goes higher?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 3:21 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    which ones goes lower and which ones goes higher?

Aren't most of them obvious?

1:1 obviously applies the least amount of compression to the footage being captured. (SD 601/D1)

1:1 10b is the 10-bit version of 1:1

2:1 applies 2 times as much compression as 1:1

3:1 applies 3 times....

The "s" resolutions are single field (so they are effectlively only capturing half of the image (and compressing it)

"m" resolutions were typically used for Multicam because they compress the footage in a way that optimizes it for Multicam (they're not totally necessary these days)

DV25 and DV50 are the DV resolutions (720x480 in NTSC), the 25 and 50 represent the Mbit/sec. 

DV50 is half as compressed as DV25

DV25 is generally considered comparable to "5:1" in terms of ratio. 

MPEG30/40/50 are actually Sony's IMX resolutions in the their 30, 40, and 50 Mbit versions.  I don't know for sure where they fall in terms of ratio, but MPEG50 is generally acceptable by most broadcast standards.  YMMV.

You can also determine the amount of compression by looking at many hours your drives will capture as you select the various resolutions in the Capture Tool.  The more hours available, the more compressed the resolution.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 4:04 AM In reply to

Thank you for the clarification. Sorry, I did not have much opportunity to work with a wider medium and formats. It's just DV and HDV, no offline/online stuff.

--

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller