Latest post Mon, Apr 20 2009 9:59 PM by Pope. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 18 2009 5:46 PM

• maperman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 23
    • Points 370

Moving Media

Hey there,

I wanted to move all media for this one project to a single external drive.  I have read everything I can get my hands on re this process.  Going to Media tool and choosing all media relatives.  I am wondering if anyone has any advice on doing this safely, any caviats? Don't want to screw this up, you know what I mean?

Thank you,

Mike

• Sat, Apr 18 2009 7:17 PM In reply to

Re: Moving Media

Hi Mike,

Take a look at "consolidating" in the manual or online help.  That's what Avid calls it when you move media from one drive to another.  Also, there are third party programs for moving media, but I'm not certain if there are Mac versions or not.  You might try a forum search for "MDV" which is one of them.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Apr 18 2009 8:26 PM In reply to

• wsimonett
    • Not Ranked
    • Madison, MS
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,550

This seems to work pretty well. We have been using it for several years to take media offline.

http://www.randomvideo.com/products/mediamover_avid.html

Bill

Dual 2 GHZ MAC.6 gig ram,3 gig hard drives, Avid w/ MOJO, FCP, Motion MBP Intel core 2 Duo,2.6 GHZ 4 gig ram, 17 inch Matte screen, Avid w/Mojo, &... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 18 2009 9:34 PM In reply to

Also, be sure to observe the ground rules for moving media:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

If you experience media offline issues after the move, rebuild the media database files. To do this, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 9:59 PM In reply to

• Pope
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 23
    • Points 280

I have found the third part Media Mover application from Random Video to be a great tool in doing exactly what it sounds like you want to do. As long as you stay with current versions, it should be pretty seamless.

Media Mover will also find both MXF and OMFI media without having to specify this. The app will then separate the projects you request from the online media in it's own folder so you can move it around, archive by project, etc.

It's not free, but it's a relatively low price for a very valuable tool if you have to constantly move media around, organized by project, which I do in my facility. I use it to move media from system to system as well as archiving to NAS.

Good luck !

Avid 1 = MC 4.05 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon OS 10.5.7 Avid 2 = MC 4.02 Nitris DX on MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]

Brian Casey

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller