Latest post Wed, Dec 9 2009 12:58 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 8 2009 5:19 PM

crashing portserver

Once every month I face the problem of a crashing port server. The issue has been discussed in some other threads.

But now I get a new error that I haven't seen before and a search in the forums gives no results.

Clearly this has to do with the loopback settings of the fc card... but I have no problems what so-ever with my fiber attached adrenaline.

Then the second issue. A few months ago I needed the workspaces to keep there drive letters fixed. So I edited the AisPortServer.ini. All worked fine. 2 weeks ago I removed those entries as the workspaces were changed. All went fine with that. After a restart of the lanshare everything was back to normal. But now I see in the eventvwr that the following error appears.

"Error in AisPortSever.ini configuration file reading line num=15"  and after that the same error with "line num 16". Both lines are the first 2 lines after the instruction text. They are both empty. Actually there is nothing after the instruction text. Is there supposed to be something after the instruction text?

In other words, can somebody check their AisPortSever.ini and post what it says after the instruction text?

Every time if I restart the lanshare everything works again as it should. All ethernet clients can connect. Previously also the eventvwr was an errorless list for weeks but since last week it is not and once in a while the portserver dies. The fileserver and fibre attatched client have no problem.

THX guys for any help

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Apr 8 2009 9:34 PM In reply to

• rogb99
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 18 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Re: crashing portserver

Try to reseat the Fiber card. Mke sure all the clients are shut down. Stop filemanager. Then shut down the Server.

Now open the server and reseat the Fiber card. If that does not work next step will be reinstalling the software. If you are not an ACSR try to get AVID support on the phone or an ACSR on the phone or onsite. Follow the AVID manuals. If you delete the metadata accidenly you will loose all the information on the workspces.

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 7:49 AM In reply to

Thx rogb99,

I did a google search for osdiscoverloopcb and it came up with this. http://community.avid.com/forums/t/61075.aspx

In which I'm forwarded to this. (Weird that I did not find this post with the search engine inside the forum, I must have made a typing error.)

http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=74387&p_created=1200504187&p_sid=5v_Bt29j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9b3NkaXNjb3Zlcmxvb3BjYg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

So i conclude there is no problem here.

But that still leaves me with the other error.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Apr 14 2009 8:41 AM In reply to

Well yesterday was the day.Sad

After my last post all was fine until Friday. When I came back on Monday same problem happened again but this time when restarting 2 times the blue screen of death appeared. Restarting the  third time and all came back as normal.

I checked the eventvwr and it was a very big red mess with the portserver crashing and also 2 system errors when I restarted. I decided together the ACSR from my reseller to put the "c: image" back from the recovery cd. That process went fine.

What happened next is the interesting part. After logging in the first time windows popped up a message if I wanted to allow the "d partition" to open up automatically... That suggested a worm had infected my unity. I opened the d drive by right clicking and "explore" and found the well known autorun and recycle files. I trashed them and all seems back to normal. We also decided to upgrade both server and clients to 5.1.1. cause my ACSR said that some issues were resolved. He also gave me the readme's so I'll check that.

All the clients have AVG anti virus installed, no anti virus on the unity.. Today me and the ACSR will do a virus check on the Unity and see what pops up. But I want to ask you guys. Avid only supports norton. I have used norton and that's why I don't want to use it ever again..... I read in other threads some had good results with NOD32.

Who has installed anti virus software on a Unity with MN5.x and what are your experiences?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, May 6 2009 3:39 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

One other little thing to look at is the simple fact that each time a Windows machine is booted up,  it starts the clock until it crashes.    I have portservers, and the "stock" portserver with 512 megs of ram crashes monthly.  The other unit with more ram runs longer- but crashes as well.

The simple solution is to restart the boxes before they crash-   set a calender event to remind you every 20 days to restart that pig.

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Wed, May 6 2009 6:23 AM In reply to

Thx Jeff,

After the re-image all is fine for 2 weeks now.  I do restart the unity ones every month. I have a theory of what goes wrong.

These worms with there autorun and recycle files try to run themselves each time you double click or mount a volume. Double clicking a workspace on a infected client will infect the unity but without any effect. But opening that workspace on the unity itself will cause problems.

I get the impression the worms are also trying to mess around with the user right within windows (server) in the end not allowing the server to access it's own workspaces. In that way the portserver crashes cause there is an inconsistency between its config(file) and that what it can access.

The thing is that I can't find any tool to monitor the config and status of the portserver.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, May 14 2009 8:50 AM In reply to

I found what caused it but if this is true then..... oh oh

I found that 1 of the 11 edits (avid 11) was causing the problem or better the CAT6 going from the switch to the XW8200. I discovered this when I replaced the XW8200 with an XW8400. The network card from the XW8400 kept disconnecting randomly. After replacing patch cables found that it was the "wall socket" replaced that and all was fine.  Why the XW8200 did not disconnect I don't know.

But when the XW8400 disconnected it crashed the portserver again. So after I replaced the socket i did some tests by connecting and disconnecting a network client cable manually. What I saw is if I disconnect/connect fast several times, the smc switch does some kind of restart causing an immediate crash of the port server.

Since replacing the socket I've been working for 2 weeks now 16 hours a day without any incident but I'm still wondering is this normal behavior for the smc switch?

So viruses seem not to have caused the port server crashes. They might have caused the 2 system crashes.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, May 16 2009 5:37 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

asante!

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Sat, May 16 2009 11:21 AM In reply to

In other words replace the SMC switch with an ASANTE one? Even if it is no longer the avid certified switch? Maybe a firmware upgrade of the switch might also be a solution?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, May 18 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Possibly-  however I swear by Asante's.   They work no matter what for me.

JDS

• Fri, May 29 2009 11:55 AM In reply to

After working 10 days without a single hick-up with 6 all Ethernet clients and 2 fiber clients working 16 hours a day and me checking the event log 3 times a day it seemed all was fine again. Until yesterday.

I made a screen-shot of the event-log.

The first error message is the scary one.

This would mean that the unity has just died on me.... No file manager = death... but the fiber clients have no problem what so ever. How can they work without the file manager running? And now it comes. Together with my ACSR we determined that the fiber clients can access the file manager so it is running. Ethernet clients are not able. But why can't the License Server on the unity all of a sudden not connect to the file-manager?

Then the second error:

\

This confirms that the Unity itself (192.168.100.1) has lost connection with its own file-manager. The rest of the messages and port-server error are a consequence of the first error I assume. Together with my ACSR we had done a re-image of the unity 3 weeks ago. Where does this error come from? Could this also be related to the gigabit switch? But those problems resulted in a crash from the port-server.

A restart of the Unity and all is fine again for 24 hours now. No errors what so-ever.

What bothers me most is that yesterday I was at a shooting in a studio so I was not present when it happened.

Jeff HELP![:'(]SadConfused ( oh damn still that crying smily that doesn't work)

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 3:03 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

That's the info.!   The licensing server is dependent upon Ethernet...   If the NIC shuts down for ANY reason,  like the switch being burped, the ethernet client licensing will fail.

Get a dumb little switch,  place it BETWEEN the File manager and the Asante.   This way, the asante can be restarted, without causing the NIC to fail, which kills the Unity licencing server.

Fibre clients are never affected by this server.

Yay!

JDS

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 4:07 PM In reply to

Thx again Jeff,

So we could still be dealing with an issue with the SMC switch.

I did some more checking on all the INFO within the event viewer and found this.

I put the messages in sequence.

then and this is an interesting one.

Then

Then

Then

Oh my god I just died... and Then logically

But the fiber clients are still happy. Now my ACSR told me to check the power settings of windows on both fiber clients. He remembered that if in the "power option properties" control panel "Turn off hard disks" is set to a time (instead of set to "never") the unity would listen and could show this behavior.  

True or not, I checked and both clients are set to "Never" so that's not it.

Jeff, this export that starts this.... what export is that?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jun 4 2009 4:36 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

Have I mentioned lately how Unity 5 is an abomination, and should be removed from the product line and a real Unity system sold instead lately?

• Thu, Jun 4 2009 8:27 PM In reply to

As far as I remember the last 5 months or so... no you haven't. Before that, you wrote several times that it is the biggest crap avid ever made.... Compared to my older lanshare, (I still have two of those working day and night without any serious problem for 4 years now.) you seem to be right.

Do you have any idea what gives the command to close the AvidUnty service?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller