Latest post Mon, Apr 6 2009 11:31 AM by joshdvx. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 4 2009 7:02 AM

• Dapal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 2 2008
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

E sata Hard Drive for mac book pro on the go

I am going to purchase the Sonnet Fusion F2 to use with my Macbook Pro after watching This Macvideo.

It look very promised but I need advice from The pros in this forum.

•   Raid was created in this device as NTFS or Fat 32?
    •   On the road, Can I use firewire port to capture footage in to this E sata device. My macbook pro has only 1 fire wire port and I have a Sony Z1.
    •   Back home, how do I continue edit with my PC desktop, using the footage from this device.  Do I need to format this device as NTFS so my PC desktop could see it? My PC doesn't have e sata port, only firewire port. Raid was created with macbook pro will be seeing  by firewire connect to PC desktop?

• Sat, Apr 4 2009 10:19 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

Re: E sata Hard Drive for mac book pro on the go

From what I can tell, you need to use a drive(s) that are formatted in NTFS.  The reason you can read but not write to NTSF on Mac is that Microsoft will not license NTFS to Apple.  So the way to go is to purchase a root level application like NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software.  http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I use it and it is excellent.  I have a several different high capacity firewire drives that I carry with me to download files onto and use via my MBP -  one of them is NTFS formatted and it works like a charm on PC avids. That way you can switch between Mac and PC Media Composer all day long and you should be sweet!   I also use the Sonnet Sata 34 card. Get the "Pro" model - it's faster.

Good luck.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 4 2009 4:19 PM In reply to

• Dapal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 2 2008
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Hello Oze, thanks for advice. I will follow your route of Paragon stuffs.

Again, I am new to Mac. If I followed that guy in that video, I would format that device as FAt 32 ?Could I format that to NTFS as you suggested?

Suppose that I will be able to create Raid with that box as NTFS drive ? Is my PC going to see it by fire wire connect?

Thanks for all input coming

• Sat, Apr 4 2009 7:43 PM In reply to

• Serleejus
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 364
    • Points 4,715

I am pretty sure that you don't need paragon if you format it through your mac. There is no reason it should be NTFS only. On the other note, we have Paragon installed and it is flawless.

• Sun, Apr 5 2009 8:29 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

FAT 32 has file size limitations and is not recommended for Avid use..  I would not bother with it when the NTFS solution is superior and Paragon makes it so transparent for the Mac OS.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 5 2009 6:27 PM In reply to

I had started a different thread about using NTFS drives and I am still looking for some clear answers about what it possible. So far with MC 3.1.2 I am able to capture to my native mac drive and then copy and use data from my NTFS formated external drive using MacFuse or Paragon, but Avid gives me an error anytime I try and select the NTFS drive while capturing. For those of you having sucess with Paragon, are you able to capture directly to an NTFS drive connected to Mac OS, or are you doing in two steps like I described.

• Mon, Apr 6 2009 11:31 AM In reply to

• joshdvx
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 551
    • Points 6,640

There is a free solution to write to NTFS and other drives on the mac also.

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

I've used this on my mac with no problems yet, I haven't tried to use it with avid, however i'd expect it to work just fine.

RE: FAT32, FAT32 has a 4gb file size limit, soo if you ever have to work with files larger than 4gb, forget it.  Plus it is an old outdated file system.

Interested in learning Media Composer? In NYC? I teach Media Composer classes tailored for reality tv assistant editors. http://joshluddeni.com [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller