Latest post Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:05 PM by Randall L. Rike. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 9:14 PM

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Moving a project and media from Avid Xpress Pro to MC

Hello, I am trying to find out if there are any issues in moving a project from Avid Xpress Pro 5.8.0 to Media Composer - so that the project can be completed in MC. The media was captured in Xpress Pro but lives on external drives. Are there any issues in MC being able to recognize the media? I'd love to hear any info/tips on this process. Thanks, Shinx.

Mac OS 10.10.5 Avid MC 8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 9:27 PM In reply to

Re: Moving a project and media from Avid Xpress Pro to MC

No problems it should all just happen automatically.

Some like to open a new MC project and import the required Pro bins into that project   (File drop down menu  Open bin)  Never needed to do this my self.

MC may by default look for projects in a different location. If you open an exterrnal project in MC you can easily navigate to your current project location

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 9:40 PM In reply to

As Andrew said, just hook up the external drives to the Media Composer platform, navigate to that particular project folder, open the project and you should be completely good to go. In the unlikely event that you encounter media offline issues, you can rebuild the media database. To do this, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Again, do this ONLY if you encounter media offline issues.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 10:40 PM In reply to

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Thanks Larry and Andrew for the quick response. Just to make certain -  so I can copy the exisiting PROJECT into the AVID PROJECTS folder on the HD before I launch AVID and then just select it when I launch AVID as I have always done moving projects between AVID MC systems? Sorry - I've just never worked with Xpress Pro before and don't know how compatible it is with MC. Thanks again.

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 10:47 PM In reply to

Yes, that's exactly right. Copy the existing project folder into the "Avid Projects" folder, connect your external drives and you should be good to go. The beauty of Avid is in its cross compatibility with various versions, bins, projects and media files.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 10:52 PM In reply to

Also, keep in mind that if you were to move the project back to the XPRO platform, should you alter any effected clips that are not in XPRO (like blur, full timewarp, paint, animatte) the timeline would have to be returned to MC for repair. Completely rendered MC effects will play without problem on XPRO. However, you will notice that the plug-in box is now empty, indicating that effect is not on the XPRO system.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 12:42 AM In reply to

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Thanks Larry - I had been talking to a facility about this transition and they came back to me to say that whether the media had been captured on XPRO as Omf's or Mxf's would dictate whether I would have to migrate to Meridien or Adrenalin....have you heard of this issue?

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 12:47 AM In reply to

That is true. If you have MXF media, you will have to go to MC Adrenaline or the even newer MC Nitris DX. If you have OMF media only, you could go to either an Adrenaline system or a Meridien based system, so long as the appropriate resolutions are available.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Hi Larry - in a slightly unrelated question....I am moving forward with MC Adrenalin ...thanks to your input . The media is on four separate external drives. TWO are 1.5 TB Firewires 800 (Lacies) and TWO are 500 GB USB/400 Firewire's. Does it sound workable or would it be better to copy the media off of the 500 gigs to something faster? Thanks, Sherril.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 7:44 PM In reply to

Sherril:

When it comes to Avid Media files and drive sets, the best rule of thumb is "distribute the wealth". Use the hardware tool in the tools pull down to monitor the occupied and free space available on all drives and do your best to balance the load across them. Ideally, you do not want to dump all of your media on a single drive. If you were to have only one media drive, it would be best to create partitions on the drive. What you want to avoid is over-taxing any one drive or partition. Kind of like severely over-inflating one tire and leaving the other three almost flat. Since Avid breaks up ingested media into various media stream fragments which it then spreads across the drives, partitions or a RAID drive array, a balanced load is the best way to go. Also, try not to let any one drive or partition exceed 85% capacity. You will experience increasingly poor system response time and performance as you try to cram 20 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound potato sack - somethings got to give somewhere.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 8:38 PM In reply to

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your detailed response. Through hard learned experience I am aware of trying to balance media over all drives and not filling any one drive to max -- what I'm more concerned about in this instance is the fact that I'd be working with FOUR external firewires. I don't usually daisy chain that many discreet drives on AVID and was wondering if you knew of any pitfalls to doing this??

Thanks again for your time and brilliant expertise,

Sherril.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 9:32 PM In reply to

Sherril:

I must admit I've never tried to daisy chain drives with firewire, only SCSI, so I'm not sure what to advise here, other than if you have enough buss capability it would probably be best to have each firewire drive on it's own buss although you may be able to get acceptable performance with 2 drives on a single buss. I know firewire does not work and play well with hub type connectors.

Perhaps someone else with more experience in this area can chime in.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 10:11 PM In reply to

• Shinx
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Hi Larry,

I'm in the same boat as you -- That's why I posted this question - I'm only familiar with daisy chaining FW Drives on Final Cut - I don't usually work that way on AVID.

Since I'm new to this forum and not quite sure how it all works....when I reply to your post does it go out to the forum at large....or only to you??

If anyone else out there could weigh in on this I'd be so grateful.

Thanks,

Sherril.

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Apr 3 2009 10:21 PM In reply to

Any replies you make to any thread go out to the Forum at large. Most of us stay on the home page and scan the "Active" and "Unanswered" groups, which will include all individual Forums.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 10:36 PM In reply to

In the early FW (400) days on PC I daisy chained 7 drives and a Laird FW transcoder without problems. There was talk that it was best for you to have odd numbers of drives in the chain (urban myth?)

I am no expert but I think if you have 400's and 800's on the same bus your speed is limited to the slower 400 for all drives. (anyone feel free to correct me)

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller