Latest post Mon, May 2 2011 9:38 PM by Douglas Flanagan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 29 2009 5:47 PM

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 29 2009
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

Media Composer V3.5 Deck Issues

I have a JVC BR DV3000, can anyone tell me if they know that this deck WON'T work with MC 3.5?

I used this same deck on a G5 on MC 2.7

Now I have a PC running Vista Business 64 and MC 3.5 it won't read the deck.

Is there anywhere I can go to view an approved deck list for 3.5?

Also, 3.5 won't read my sound card...help there would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance.

:-) Ryan

Media Composer 3.5 Vista Business 64Bit Intel Dual Quad Core Q9650 3GHz Intel® Extreme Mother Board DP45SG 8GB Crucial Memory Nvidia Quadro FX1700... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 29 2009 6:34 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer V3.5 Deck Issues

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forums!

feglo:
    3.5 won't read my sound card...help there would be nice as well.

What kind of sound card is it?  Also, it might help to know the rest of your system specifications.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Mar 29 2009 8:08 PM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

ok here goes....

It is a custom built computer by a professional company.

Intel Quad Core Q9650 - 3.00GHz - 12mb Cache 1333 MHz FSB
    Intel® Extreme Mother Board DP45SG
    8GB 1333 mhz DDR3 Crucial Memory
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700 - 512MB DDR2 Memory
    Intel High Definition Audio / 8 Channel Audio Sub System
    Vista Business 64 Bit
    Media Composer V3.5.0
    Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection 3

My JVC BR-DV3000U deck will not be picked up by Media Composer, I checked and the template is there and I even set it under the deck configuration, but it just won't read the deck...does anyone have any advice.

The deck is the more pressing issue, for now I found a work around for the soundcard, I got a $20 Gigaware USB Headphone Adapter and run the speakers through it and all is well...go figure that, Right?

Any and all help is welcomed. Leave me a message here or e-mail me at Ryan @ Jolapa.com

Thanks

:-) Ryan

Media Composer 3.5 Vista Business 64Bit Intel Dual Quad Core Q9650 3GHz Intel® Extreme Mother Board DP45SG 8GB Crucial Memory Nvidia Quadro FX1700... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 29 2009 8:25 PM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

another thing....

The deck works fine, have used it with this computer today with Adobe Premiere.

Used this deck with the same firewire cable

Used this deck with Premiere with both of the firewire ports on this computer.

It has something to do with Avid. Any help would be great as I am quite desperate.

Thanks.

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 12:45 AM In reply to

• rdp75208
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 21 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I know this want help but I have the same problem using biz 64 - no imput signal  from deck

I also have mc 3.5 running as it should same computer same hardware but useing windows xp

mc does not not want to run right on biz 64 for me hope you find and answer

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 1:58 AM In reply to

• sasha1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,240

just checking, have you gone to deck configuration and added a 1394 channel?

I just went through installing a new system and was frustrated trying to get avid to see the deck until I manually did that...                        sasha

Avid 1: HP Z420. Quadro 4000, Motu, MC 7.02. Avid 2: Dell T3400 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 - 8GB RAM - Quadro K2000 - Matrox Mini - MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 30 2009 2:09 AM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

How exactly do you mean manually add a channel?

You mean like when you make your custom deck configuration?

I only have the option of 1394 with an OHCI as well...is this what you are talking about?

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 7:42 AM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

still no avail with this deck, I did get a Canon XL1s to work, but not my deck.

Please someone with some serious knowledge chime in on this post!

• Mon, Mar 30 2009 10:26 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,125

When I was running Vista 64 Ultimate, I had the same problem with my JVC BR-HD50 switched to DV-mode. I got it running when I manually changed the driver to the one from JVC. You can try it with the following procedure:

1. Right click "My Computer", select "properties" from the pop-up menue.

2. Select "hardware Tab" and then "Device Manager"

3. In the window that opens now, look for the third category from top. In my German system it is called "Bildbearbeitunggeraete". I do not know how it is shown in an English version. Anyway, it is shown under the entry "Audio-, Video- and Gamecontroller".

4. Click on the "+" sign and you will see your tape deck. If it is automaticall installed, it will be shown as "AVC-conform DV.deck" or very similar to this name.

5 Right click on the deck's entry and select the first topic of the pop-up window "modify driver" or "update driver".

6 In the open8ing window select "Not this time" for a network based update and click "ok" or "proceed" or whatever it is in English.

7 Now you select the second choice, to select the software from a list or a defined location, click "ok" or "Proceed".

8 In the nect opening window select the bottom choice "Do not search baut manually select the driver", and click "proceed" or "ok".

9. In the new window, deselect the box "Show compatible Hardware". Now you will see a modified window with two panes. On the left pane scroll for "JVC" and click on it. Now in the right pan select "JVC Tapedeck" or "JVC Camcorder", click "proceed" or "ok".

10 there will be a warning message popping up now, saying it is not recommended to install tthis driver, ....." Ignor it and press "Yes" or "OK".

11. The system will now install the JVC driver. When finished it comes up with a "success message" and you click on "Finish". That's it.

You have now the JVC driver installed.

12. Re-start Media Composer now, go to the "settings" tab, and double click "deck configuration". Delete the current "channel" and recreate the whole entry by "adding channel", configure it to "Host OHCI port", add a deck and click o.k.

In my case it worked with the JVC driver under Vista, but not with the standard Microsoft driver, that installs automatically.

If it does not work and you need to go back to the standard Microsoft driver, then you just "delete"  the device from the "Device Manger", switch the tape deck off, and switch it on again. Windows will now automatically load the Microsft driver.

Godd luck.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 4:10 AM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

I follow your commands, however, under my device manager I cannot find my deck under the tab you suggested.

Any other ideas?

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 2:30 PM In reply to

• rdp75208
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 21 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

I also tried this and it worked for me

you have to turn your deck on first then you can find it in device manger

Randy

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 3:51 PM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

I can't find the deck under the device manager at all

:-(

Any advice on how I can do that. I know the computer is reading it, as  I can still use it in Adobe.

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 4:37 PM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!

YES YES YES

PRAISE GOD I LOVE JESUS IT WORKED!

• Tue, Mar 31 2009 5:49 PM In reply to

• feglo
    • Not Ranked
    • Arkansas
    • Posts 24
    • Points 305

Media Composer V3.5 Deck Issues SOLVED!

For those of you with Deck issues with Avid Media Composer V3.5 on a PC running Vista 64 here is your answer…I hope.

The real answer is in this article, it is a 12 step process however I preface this solution with smaller things we can do the possibly fix your problem; if you have tried all of them just skip on down to the real deal.

My problem was with the JVC BR-DV3000u.

I could not get the deck to be recognized by Avid, it was read by Adobe and the PC but not Avid.

So by having be read by Adobe I could rule out a few of the first standard issues, which you should check as well, which are…

1. Do you have a good firewire cable? If not sure, go buy a new one.
    2. Is your firewire port working? Make sure you computer is recognizing you plug in the hardware, if it does not, do a reset of your computer with your deck not plugged into the computer. After the computer has fully come on and you are in windows, hook it back up, and wait for it to recognize your hardware…you should hear the Windows  “Boo Doop” noise. You can also check under your device manager in the Imaging Devices Tab, Device manager can be found under your control panel. Your deck should read as AV/C Tape Recorder/Player or something of that nature.
    3. Make sure your deck works, try it on another computer, and also if your fire wire isn’t working attempt to run it through 9 pin or serial ports.
    4. There are a few other basic measures you can take, but I am sure you have already tried them. The real solution is below.

If you are like me you did the best you could to get customer support…For instance…

I talked to JVC who walked me through making sure the deck was on????...duh it is on!!!! They had me do a manual reset, that was fun…as well as making sure the computer recognized the deck…after that they assured me it was either me, the computer, or avid. So the deck manufacturers are little help. So then you call Avid…and you talk to 37 different computer operated phone personalities and get nowhere because you didn’t buy the several hundred dollar service contract because you don’t have the money. So then you try to do the one time service call, but you don’t have the one time call contract number….ANYWHERE!!! Where do they put the stupid thing???? So then you resort to asking them a question online through their knowledgebase which they tell you it will take 3 business days to answer…so you wait…and you wait…and you wait….and then you get this message from Avid….

“As seen on the list of Supported Devices for Avid Editor Products (link below), the JVC BR 3000 deck was removed from the
    list on June 28, 2006. "6/28/06 - Removed JVC BR-3000 as supported device." The entire list of Supported Devices is at this link.

http://avidtechnology.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avidtechnology.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=72232&p_created=1135282836

Our records indicate you do not have an Avid Support Contract.

Customers without an Avid Support Contract receive an auto-generated response which we hope
    is helpful in answering your question. You may also use the free online resources which are available.”

What a joke?

So anyways…you go to their forums like they suggest and nobody has an answer that will work for you…ugh…

Final resort that you have is to call the company who made your computer; Dell, HP, Apple, or fortunate for me I had mine Custom Built by a very customer friendly Christian Based media company…none of the above will be able to help you regardless of their efforts…

So what is the solution you ask???!?!?!

Here we go….This should work for any deck or camera, but we are going to do it for JVC BR-DV300u.
    I got it running when I manually changed the driver to the one from JVC. You can try it with the following procedure: First make sure that your deck is turned on and connected via firewire to the computer!

1. Go to “start menu” and click “control panel”

2. Select "Device Manager"

3. In the window that opens now, look for the tab that is labeled imaging devices

4. Click on the "+" sign and you will see your tape deck. If it is automatically installed, it will be shown as "AVC Tape Recorder/player" or very similar to this name.

5 Right click on the deck's entry and select the first topic of the pop-up window "Update Driver Software”

6 In the open window select “Browse my computer for driver software”

7 Then choose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

8 In the next open window deselect the check box that says “Show compatible hardware”

9. Now you will see a modified window with two panes. On the left pane (Manufacturer) scroll for "JVC" and click on it (If your product is not JVC choose your manufacturer from that list). Now in the right pane select "JVC Tapedeck", click "next."

10 there will be a warning message popping up now, saying it is NOT recommended to install this driver, ....." Ignore it, stick it to the man and press "Yes" or "OK".

11. The system will now install the JVC driver. When finished it comes up with a "success message" and you click on "Finish". That's it.

You have now the JVC driver installed. ANU ARE ROCKING AND ROLLING

12. Re-start Media Composer now, go to the "settings" tab, and double click "deck configuration". Delete the current "channel" and recreate the whole entry by "adding channel", configure it to "Host OHCI port", add a deck and click o.k.

In my case it worked with the JVC driver under Vista, but not with the standard Microsoft driver, that installs automatically.

If it does not work and you need to go back to the standard Microsoft driver, then you just "delete" the device from the "Device Manger", switch the tape deck off, and switch it on again. Windows will now automatically load the Microsoft driver.

• Mon, Apr 20 2009 6:25 AM In reply to

• Corravid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 22 2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Re: Media Composer V3.5 Deck Issues SOLVED!

Welcome in this world

Avid MC6/7/8 on certified hardware [view my complete system specs]

Cogito ergo sum.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller