Latest post Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:47 AM by mjolnarn. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 27 2009 7:02 PM

• JohanD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 1 2006
    • Netherlands, Hilversum
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Video output on second monitor

Fist i want to apologize for my bad english!

I use Avid Media Composer 3 on my notebook.
    On location i capture the source material straight from the camera through the firewire.
    When i start to edit and the camera is still conected to the pc i see my active material in Avid back on the LCD screen of my camera. So, i can use the LCD screen of the camera as a second monitor.

Now the thing is that Avid only puts out still images, so when i pause my sequence he displays the actual frame on the camera LCD. So when i play my sequence the LCD is black. But when i manual drag through the sequence he can display it in motion!

The nice thing about watch the material realtime back on de camera is that i can connect the cam on a external monitor, and can i watch back my video whitout using a MOJO on location.

Does anybody know why Avid outputs black by playing video?
    Or is there a simple option to fullscreen output the sequence video to a second monitor through the notebooks VGA or HDMI output?

Thanks!

I'm using a Vista Notebook
    whit a Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS graphical card.
    And a Camera connected by Firewire

Avid MC, Windows Vista, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00Ghz [view my complete system specs]

www.JohanDijkstra.com

• Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:00 PM In reply to

Re: Video output on second monitor

JohanD:
    Or is there a simple option to fullscreen output the sequence video to a second monitor through the notebooks VGA or HDMI output?

If you have no DNA such as Mojo, Adrenaline, Nitris connected you can have a fullscreen playback with the shortcut strg+shift+f (windows). There is a tab in the settings called "Full Screen Playback" where you can choose a monitor which should be used to run FSP.

JohanD:
    Now the thing is that Avid only puts out still images, so when i pause my sequence he displays the actual frame on the camera LCD. So when i play my sequence the LCD is black. But when i manual drag through the sequence he can display it in motion!

This sounds like having an ATi- or other unsupported GPU. In that case you can watch this behaviour on your main display... Confused But that's not the case here. Anyone any ideas? I like the idea of getting an old, cheap MiniDV + an old, cheap CRT to see my output there.

greetz, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:08 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

What about a Canopus Bob instead, and a cheap SD plasma that nobody wants to have any longer

And, as you can see, it is in colour

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:15 PM In reply to

Well... yes. Saw that before here in the forum, nice setup, btw. But we are both notebook users and might prefer a more mobile variant. Big Smile

Btw: a plasma can't display fields, or am I wrong? I thought a digital display (LCD or plasma) get a deinteralced image from a digital TV-receiver? Correct me if I'm wrong.

g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:23 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

JohanD:

I believe that this prob comes from that you are playing media that is changed or edtited in some way and needs to be rendered.

Go to settings - Video Display settings and checkmark " realtime Encoding " and see if that helps

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Mar 28 2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

general_failure:

Well... yes. Saw that before here in the forum, nice setup, btw.

Btw: a plasma can't display fields, or am I wrong? I thought a digital display (LCD or plasma) get a deinteralced image from a digital TV-receiver? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for that and about using it to test field issues, I really haven´t thought about it, using it for common previewing, it works for previewing with both MC , AE snd Liquid

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:32 AM In reply to

• JohanD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 1 2006
    • Netherlands, Hilversum
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

general_failure:

If you have no DNA such as Mojo, Adrenaline, Nitris connected you can have a fullscreen playback with the shortcut strg+shift+f (windows). There is a tab in the settings called "Full Screen Playback" where you can choose a monitor which should be used to run FSP.

Thanks! The fullscreen playback on the second monitor works fine!

mjolnarn:

I believe that this prob comes from that you are playing media that is changed or edtited in some way and needs to be rendered.

Go to settings - Video Display settings and checkmark " realtime Encoding " and see if that helps

Wow!
    Works fine! There only is some delay, but this whould always be there by using firewire.

Avid MC, Windows Vista, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00Ghz [view my complete system specs]

www.JohanDijkstra.com

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:47 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Very good

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller