Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2006 3:35 AM by earthchild. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 1:13 AM

DVDSP 4 & QT 7 compatibility for DVD

What don’t I get?.....

DVD Studio Pro 4 requires Quick time 7, but Express Pro doesn’t support QT 7? Is that right? I’ve heard of many people using Studio Pro 4 so there must be a way around this, no?.....

My actual problem is this: When I export fast moving sequences from Express Pro 4.1.1 as QT ref files they suffer from the horizontal lines common to compressed fast-moving video. (When I convert them to MPEG using Compressor or Studio Pro there is no additional loss). Am I missing a step in the export? My understanding is Sorenson is just for the QT to MPEG step so Compressor/Studio Pro replaces it, correct? (The Everything You Need to Know page on the PC forum is great but its hard to know what applies to Macs)......

I know everyone who has figured it out is sick of talking about DVD burning so your help is appreciated. For what its worth, normal-movement video looks fine, but fast motion is essential to my project.
    15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM... MC 4.0.5 ... QT 7.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 1:21 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: DVDSP 4 & QT 7 compatibility for DVD

First off, 'Pro DOES support QT7 if you are running version 4.8.x.

Secondly, are these horizontal lines on your computer monitor, NTSC monitor or both?

What resolution are you outputting and in what codec?
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jan 11 2006 1:23 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Also, when you are using a QT ref from the AVID, you have to open a new player in QT and cut and paste your program into it and then use THAT file for your conversion. See if that helps.
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jan 11 2006 5:12 AM In reply to

The lines show up on both monitors and are those classic fast motion lines (i wish i knew their name) they only appear over the areas of movement, the other areas are fine.......

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting and pasting the program. I've been clicking on the new file and it opens up in a new QT window, could this really be the problem? What exactly do you cut and where do you paste it? You still have to use the Export function to send it to a folder, no?.......

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure which codec is being used. How do I choose that for a QT ref? The only choices I seem to get are "Use Avid DV Codec" under the Defaults: Digital Master drop down. I don't imagine the QuickTime Movie settings apply back over to the QuickTime Reference file, do they? I tried setting that compression type to Animation and then exporting the Reference file but it didn't help. I also tried a hi resolution QT Movie output and the results were extremely close to identical (only a couple frames showed the tiniest difference)........

I'm starting to think not knowing my codec could be the problem (though i thought QT Ref files were supposed to be loss-less anyway). Where do i find that out and which should I use?........

Thanks BLKDOG
    15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM... MC 4.0.5 ... QT 7.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2006 9:43 PM In reply to

Could it matter that i'm exporting 24p video (Panasonic DVX-100A, not advanded mode)? What are the relevant variables for a QT Ref that could be effecting this? There seem to be so few choices for a QT Ref that i don't even know what to experiment with.
  • Thu, Jan 12 2006 9:59 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Sorry, I thought I replied to this yesterday.

A couple of things can cause those interlacing errors. The biggest one is the fact that there is something wrong with AVID QT refs. This is why, when you open the ref movie in QT, you have to go to FILE/NEW PLAYER, select your original QT Ref, hit CMD+A then CMD+C. THen select the new player window you opened and hit CMD+V to paste it in. You then use that file to do your encoding.

Another cause can be mixed frame sizes in yout timeline. If that's the case, do a mixdown to one resolution and THEN follow the above.

• Thu, Jan 12 2006 11:49 PM In reply to

Wow, you're good! Copy and pasting into new window solved it...it did stretch the frame horizontally in the process but i'm guessing that's some simple Quicktime pixel aspect issue. Will tinker.
    Thanks!
  • Fri, Jan 13 2006 3:35 AM In reply to

Hmmm...thought i had this licked. The problem goes away until I save the QT Ref file...then the saved version has the same problem. Is there a way to import it withouth saving it? Is that the work-around?
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller