Latest post Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:10 PM by Kevin Klimek. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 4:47 PM

• sethhill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 61
    • Points 915

A basic way to move user settings from computer to computer?

I searched the forums, consulted the Avid Knowledge Base, even read Kauffmann's Avid Editing Third Edition, but didn't find any explanations a simpleton like me could understand.

I need to work on a computer, re-map a few keyboard keys, re-map a few buttons, then finish for the day.  I assumed my settings would be saved in my Project Folder as the .avs file.  The next day I have to work on another computer.  But when I  open my project on a different computer, the default settings are back.

Anyone know a simple workflow to save my settings and then get them back when I move the project to another computer?

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 4:57 PM In reply to

Re: A basic way to move user settings from computer to computer?

Hi,

When you're at the Select a Project window, you can also select a user from the drop down list at the top of the window.  If your settings are called "sethhill" there will be a folder inside the Avid Users folder called sethhill, and that has your settings in it.  You can copy that folder to the Avid Users folder of another computer, and they will be available to use when you open a project.

If the user "sethhill" doesn't exist on either computer, you can create it at the Select a Project window.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 5:25 PM In reply to

• sethhill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 61
    • Points 915

Thanks for the quick answer.  

However, I'm still a little unclear on the process.  I guess I'm a real novice. 

I can create the "sethhill" user when I first Select a Project.  But what if I have been working on a project, and want to create the "sethhill" user settings?  

Let's say I'm working on a project.  What I need to know is:

1.  What should I do to save my settings?

2.  Those settings are saved somewhere ... where do I find them?

3.  How do I take those settings with me?

4.  How do I use those settings when I open the project on another computer?

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Mar 20 2009 5:59 PM In reply to

Hi,

sethhill:
    1.  What should I do to save my settings?

You don't have to do anything to save them.  A folder called "sethhill" is created in the Avid Users folder when you create a user named "sethhill" at the Select a Project window.  Whenver you make a change to a part of your settings (keyboard settings, workspaces, whatever) they are saved.

sethhill:
    2.  Those settings are saved somewhere ... where do I find them?

Inside the Avid Users folder on your system drive.

sethhill:
    3.  How do I take those settings with me?

Copy the folder with your user name on it from the Avid Users folder on system one and paste it into the Avid Users folder on system two.

sethhill:
    4.  How do I use those settings when I open the project on another computer?

At the Select a Project window, click on the User drop-down list and if you do not see your user name in the list, select Import User, and navigate to the folder with your user name that you copied to the system.

Hope that helps.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

Easiest thing that I do:

locate your Settings file (.avs) on your computer (mine is Kenton Settings.avs)

Copy that .avs to a thumb drive or some other portable media device

On the New System, you can go into Avid select Create User Profile and then with the Settings tab Active go to File Open Setting File and point to your thumb drive's .avs file

This will open a small window with all of your settings listed, then you can just simply drag and drop from the small window to your Settings and it will prompt you to Add or Replace (I usually choose Replace because they are my settings)

What this does is allows you to use your settings without too much worry about possible settings corruption since you're creating a new settings file and just migrating your older settings.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 9 2010
    • Posts 69
    • Points 885

Hey,

This is probably not gonna happen, but I'm wondering if it's possible to copy my Avid MC5.0 settings on a Mac over to a Avid 5.0 on a PC.

Thanks very much.

System Version: macOS 10.15.5 (19F101) Kernel Version: Darwin 19.5.0 Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro6,1 Processor Name: 8-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:10 PM In reply to

yakuba42:
    I'm wondering if it's possible to copy my Avid MC5.0 settings on a Mac over to a Avid 5.0 on a PC.

Yes.  Although if you have problems, create a new user on the PC and then import the Mac settings into that one.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller