Latest post Thu, May 12 2011 12:56 PM by Marianna. 58 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (59 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 18 2009 11:33 PM

Blu-ray Made Easy: A three part guide from Avid editing systems to Sorenson Squeeze to Avid DVD by Sonic

I've created a three-part tutorial on Blu-ray burning with Avid Media Composer, Sorenson Squeeze, and Avid DVD by Sonic.

Download the tutorial: Blu-ray Made Easy [PDF]

It covers the following parts:

• How to export from an Avid HD project (in Avid Media Composer)
     • How to use Sorenson Squeeze for creating Blu-ray files
     • How to burn to Blu-ray using Avid DVD

To burn a Blu-ray DVD you must have the following:

• Avid Xpress Pro 5.6.x / Avid Media Composer 2.6.x or higher
     • Avid DVD 5.6 or higher
     • [optional] Sorenson Squeeze 4.3 or higher
     • A Blu-ray burner (internal or external will work)

Make sure you are using compatible versions of the Avid editing system with Avid DVD (e.g. for Avid Xpress Pro 5.7.x use Avid DVD 5.7 / for Media Composer 2.6.x use Avid DVD 5.6)

Download the tutorial: Blu-ray Made Easy [PDF]

*This tutorial was used with P2 material shot at 1080/24p, from a Panasonic HVX-200.  The results may vary with XDCAM HD, HDV, RED files, etc. but the processes should be similar to this tutorial.  All feedback is absolutely encouraged, from others who have used different formats for this process.

To view a demonstration of this Tip, please click on the movie below:

Part 1: Avid Media Composer

Part 2: Sorenson Squeeze

Part 3: Avid DVD by Sonic

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 19 2009 10:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,731
    • Points 224,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Blu-ray Made Easy: A three part guide from Avid editing systems to Sorenson Squeeze to Avid DVD by Sonic

Hello Johnson,

Thanks for the Tutorial on Blu-Ray.
    It is always refreshing to see how others do.

I have been working with Blu-Ray and Soniv DVDitProHD for over 2 years now.... and from about 1 year ago with MC and AvidDVD.

The interesting point in your Tutorial that I have noticed others also talk about is the use of Squeeze in the process.

You may or may not know that I recommend a direct import of the QT ref into AvidDVD without going through Squeeze.
    But after reading your Tutorial (where the Squeeze section was very well documented) I decided to give it a try.

I used a very short QT reference file and Squeezed it as you describe.

Then I opened AvidDVD and imported the 2 files.
    Placed them on the timeline as Movie 1.
    Then I opened the QT reference file directly in AvidDVD and placed it as Movie 2.

I made a simple menu linking to both of the movies.
    Burned to Blu-Ray.

On playing the Blu-Ray back I noticed that the direct imported QT-Reference file Movie played back perfectly.

The Movie from the Squeezed files had a very marked "stutter".

In your Tutorial I am confused by 1 point.
    Here is a screen grab of that point.

So, at least for the time being, I am going to continue to skip Squeeze.

But having said that, I must add that all of my material is coming from HDV sources.
    Itis quite possible that others using other source material may find that using Squeeze is necessary.

Thanks again for your tutorial...... it got me thinking! Big Smile

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 19 2009 10:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,731
    • Points 224,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Blu-ray Made Easy: A three part guide from Avid editing systems to Sorenson Squeeze to Avid DVD by Sonic

Just took another look at the Blu-Ray.

It was interesting to see that the thumbnail for the Movie 1 (Squeeze version) looked fine whereas the Thumbnail for Movie 2 (QTref direct) looked terrible!

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 1:07 AM In reply to

"So, at least for the time being, I am going to continue to skip Squeeze.

But having said that, I must add that all of my material is coming from HDV sources.
    Itis quite possible that others using other source material may find that using Squeeze is necessary."

Thanks for your input and I agree as well; I also bypass Squeeze and head straight to Avid DVD (in fact still do).  What I meant to add, but didn't get the chance to say so yet ---- Squeeze is an addition to the process, and if you want to "fine tune" your mpegs, with using Squeeze's options (like changing the VBR rates) then by all means go ahead

If anything that's been USEFUL of Squeeze, is the option to rid interlacing/strobing issues -- there's another document in the works on this, but this is a "special doc" which will be available on the Avid Knowledge base for customers with a contract (there are other details in there too, regarding why to choose certain squeeze settings, dvd settings etc.)

I used P2 vids for this demo, and the person I was working with before had HDV footage as well (he bypassed Sorenson like yourself, and had outstanding results - even played it on a PS3)

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 5:49 AM In reply to

THUS USE SORENSON!

But yes, you could still go direct to Avid DVD with QT ref

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 6:31 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,731
    • Points 224,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Matrix is a Lie:

THUS USE SORENSON 

But in all seriousness, you could go either way (sorenson or direct to Avid DVD with QT ref)

?

Sorry I may have confused the issue with my 2 previous posts.
    Let's try again.

I made a Blu-Ray disc this morning with 2 movies (Movie= an instance on the timeline in an AvidDVD project)

Movie 1 was a sequence in MC that was taken to Squeeze as a QT ref file and transcoded as you described in your Tutorial.
    Movie 2 was the same sequence in MC that was taken directly to AvidDVD as a QT ref file

Both movies are in the same project and are thus transcoded in AvidDVD with the same common project settings.

Movie 1 stuttered in playback.
    Movie 2 played perfectly.

Movie 1 had a nice thumbnail
    Movie 2 had a blocky thumbnail.

My conclusion would be DO NOT use Squeeze** .  Good playback is preferable to a nice looking thumbnail any day.

** At least not for HDV material

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 3:23 PM In reply to

Apologies as I got confused as well (since there are different formats we have here, HDV, P2, XDCAM, etc.)

I should and will put in the post this was done using P2 1080/24p material from HVX 200 - if you export Avid as QT ref, with P2 (at least as far as I've seen), it may look stroby (or if you're lucky it wont)  To get rid of this, then you would use Sorenson, convert to MPEGs, and add a de-interlace filter.

For HDV material, you are correct - you can should be able to go direct from Avid to Avid DVD without problems.  The option for Sorenson is open, BUT if the QT ref from Avid (in part 1) looks good enough then you can skip it and go straight to Avid DVD.  I'm basing this off other cst experiences I had with HDV into Blu Ray (the first guy I handled, went direct from Avid to Avid DVD --- didn't use Sorenson at all --- and ended up playing it on a PS3 --- that was another load of probs btw.. but it worked once we had the right info.)

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,731
    • Points 224,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Smile I'm glad we got ourselves sorted out.

This is one of the problems that all the new formats are causing with what should have been a simple process.

Unfortunately many people giving advice forget to say what format they are using.
    What can be good advice for one format can be bad advice for another.

As we have both seen here - it is important to point out just what format we are using.
    It is nigh on impossible to cover all possibilities and combinations in 1 tutorial.

Hopefully we can shed some light on this topic which is coming more and more into people's workflows.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 10:00 PM In reply to

AND I'm honored it was pointed by the great Douglas - even made it a bolded out point (see top).  True, sometimes we overlook these things, such as the file format debacle.  I may add that in the pdf itself for clarification.

Btw, how's the weather in Kumamoto?

• Fri, Mar 20 2009 10:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,731
    • Points 224,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Matrix is a Lie:
    AND I'm honored it was pointed by the great Douglas - even made it a bolded out point (see top).  True, sometimes we overlook these things, such as the file format debacle.  I may add that in the pdf itself for clarification. 

Btw, how's the weather in Kumamoto?

I wouldn't agree with you about the "great" Confused
    But the extra text you added is excellent.
    I haven't looked at my tutorials lately..... but I am almost sure that I mention I am working with HDV.
    In the future I will also be sure to make this clear.

Now it is 7.30am in Kumamoto and only 11C (about 51F)
    Yesterday we had a nice Spring day with the high at about 25C (77F)

I can only guess that you are on the East coast of the USA. Did Spring arrive there yet?

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:42 PM In reply to

Sorry for the delay (busy week so far@)  The East Coast I am on, correct, and Spring is coming about (though we did have snow recently about last Sunday +++

Always wanted to check out Okinawa --- any other places you suggest I visit?

I'd be curious to know how this tutorial treats you, feel free to update me if something else is confusing or you dealt with better , etc.

• Mon, May 4 2009 9:45 PM In reply to

BTW --- its my understanding that those using Sony XD CAM material, cannot export QT reference files from Avid (an error message occurs, regarding longop etc)

Instead, I'd recommend doing QT movies, at the appropriate HD codec --- haven't played around this much yet, but anyone else who's got other workflows, feel free to share.

• Mon, May 4 2009 9:54 PM In reply to

Matrix is a Lie:
    I'd recommend doing QT movies, at the appropriate HD codec ---
    Much quicker and easier to do a mixdown at an appropriate resolution (DNxHD or SD 1:1) in my experience

• Wed, May 13 2009 11:55 PM In reply to

You can do a mixdown and send that to Avid DVD?

• Thu, Jun 4 2009 5:00 AM In reply to

There will be another addition to this, which announces a solution for using Sony EX1 material (since you can't do QT refs with EX1, instead a LongGop error appears)

Also, solutions on getting around P2 / interlacing issues

Page 1 of 4 (59 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller