Latest post Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:28 AM by Medienmacher. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 12:46 PM

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 22 2009
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

How can I import MXF-Files I do not know the format and project name?

Hey everybody.

First of all, the system: Media Composer v3.0.5. on a Mac Pro (8Core), 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5.

I have 5 MXF-Files on an external hard drive: 1x Video (32GB), 4x Audio (130MB). These files are from another company, the folder they are in is typically AVID:  AVID Media Files/MXF/1.

I now want to edit these 5 files into my AVID system and work with them. My problem is that I do not know how to do this as I do not know which format (1080 or 720, i or p, framerate?) the files are and how to import them?!

Media Tool does not find them- I think because it doesn`t know a project name of them?!

I also cannot import them (with drag&drop into a BIN).

I also tried to copy them into the AVID Media Files-Folder on our UNITY system, but this did not work either.

How can I import them for viewing and editing? With P2-Files (that are on the same external hard drive) I have no problems!

Thanks a lot for you help.

AVID Media Composer (MAC) @UNITY AVID Xpress Pro (Windows) [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• ThomasDubiel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 28 2009
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 75
    • Points 975

Re: How can I import MXF-Files I do not know the format and project name?

Have you tried importing them into your already existing Avid MediaFiles folder? if theyre are mxf files, and once

they are in the proper folders, avid should be able to recognize them natively.

Avid MC v3.0, windows vists sp1, gigabyte ga-ex58-ud4p mobo,6GB 1800 Mhz ram, nvidia quadro fx 1800, 500 GB 7200 rpm boot drive, 1TB 7200 rpm media drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Hey Thomas.

YES, I have.

I have made the AVID create a new AVID MEDIA FILES folder on the unity by creating a title. Then I copied the MXF-Files into this folder (several times; in different subfolders 1 and 2 ...), deleted the msm-database and launched the AVID. But he did not recognize them.

In the meantime I got the information that there should have been a BIN delivered with the MXF-Files. Unfortunately this one got lost or deleted by anybody. May this be relevant?

AVID Media Composer (MAC) @UNITY AVID Xpress Pro (Windows) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 2:16 PM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

are you sure that the dirctory structure is correct? On a unity you need:

driveletter:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\nameofyouravid.number\*.mxf

example:

f:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\avid01.1\

You can create these folders by simply importing a single jpg or so to your project and then delete it.

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 4:07 PM In reply to

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Thanks Udo...

Have to go into a meeting now, but will try on this on monday after weekend.

The timeline of the project has changed within the last hour, but we have to get this going anyway.

Greetz

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 4:33 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

Medienmacher:
    In the meantime I got the information that there should have been a BIN delivered with the MXF-Files. Unfortunately this one got lost or deleted by anybody. May this be relevant?

The MXF files are (in some ways) less important than that bin. The MXF files are recognized as soon as you stick them into ANY "Avid MediaFiles > MXF > #" folder (where # is a number from 1-99) If the files are very large or there are a lot of them - the only indication you will see on the Avid is a moment where it says "Scanning /E:" if threre are only a few files or they are very small you may not see anything on the Avid.

BUT

You CANNOT import/work/see those files UNTIL you have a valid bin containing the referents to those media files. If the bin is lost - try contacting the original provider, and ask them to email you either: 1) The Bin (it isn't very big) or 2) an ALE or AAF export of the sequence or Bin they want you to look at.

Hope that helps.

i7-5820(x99), 64GB, Win 8.1, GTX 1080ti [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 13 2009 4:56 PM In reply to

You don't even need a Bin...

If you have the media stored in the proper folder and Avid has seen it, you can use the Media Tool to view Master Clips and the clips will be there.  You can then create a new Bin and drag the clips into it. 

Of course, this only re-creates the Clips and not Sequences or any other items that may have been in the original Bin.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 5:19 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought that only worked if you had a bin that on your system and then you lost/deleted the bin. I didn't know that worked with random MXF files from other systems! (I'll have to go check that out.)

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

I do it all the time, I go to a colleague's place to capture from BetaSP and I take a drive with me.  I capture directly to my external drive then come home and copy those media files to my system. 

I then open the Media Tool to locate the clips.  I've never needed to be sure to bring the Capture Bin home with me.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• curiosity
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Boulder, CO
    • Posts 832
    • Points 10,505

Sweet. Thanks! (Who knew I could learn something new today!?)

• Sat, Mar 14 2009 4:55 PM In reply to

yep.  copy them into the proper media drive location, and your media will be scanned, and they'll be there.  Just won't be in a bin yet.  Gotta use the Media Tool to open them and throw them into a bin. 

2 systems: Mobile: 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina 2.6GHZ i7 w/16 gig RAM, 1TB SSD, OS 10.14.4 running MC 2018.12.3 Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2009 8:28 AM In reply to

• Medienmacher
    • Not Ranked
    • Hassfurt (Germany)
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Good morning everybody.

Thanks for all your help, I got this thing going this morning. Although I didn`t do anything different than last week - strange. To sum it up:

- Creating New Avid Project, importing jpeg-file --> AVID created computer-specific folder on Unity-Drive

- then I copied the 5 MXF-Files into this folder, but not into any subfolder 1 or 2

- re-starting AVID --> msm-database-files were updated

- starting MEDIA TOOL, searching for MASTER CLIPS and MEDIA FILES on the relevant Unity Drive, "all projects"

- I found the MEDIA FILES very fast, as they are same as the file names in the finder. But I could not find a MASTER CLIP with this file name first. Then I sorted all the files according to duration and got the MASTER CLIP, that had a very different name.

That`s it. As mentioned above, I thought I did the same thing last friday and could NOT find them. But in the end, it`s fine. Thanks for all your help. This Community is really fantastic, we`re actually lacking something like this in Germany here....

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller