Latest post Wed, Oct 21 2009 11:21 AM by Howard. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 11 2009 11:57 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

Re: Slow opening and closing of projects

gepartners:

it's definitely something related to the mxf folders filling up.  it's as if everytime you open/close bins and project, it rescans all the databases related to the computer.

That should be pretty easily testable--when you are suffering through the problem and you change the computer name, change the MXF folder (that corresponds with that computer) to the new name.  Does the problem still occur?

This, of course, points to the bigger concern:  What happens when you have 5 bays and 30 (or more) folders relating to old computer names on your unity?  Wow.  That's an uneccessary headache for media management.  ...and for those that don't know they need to scan each folder...sheesh.

For Avid to propose "change the computer name" as a solution, really seems like them asking for more trouble. 

~Hammer

• Mon, Apr 13 2009 6:30 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,289
    • Points 28,260
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

This is pure conjecture on my part, I don't have any specific knowledge of this issue. The last thing the Media Composer is doing when it closes down is deleting unused precomputes.

This seems to make sense that changing the computer name will create a new numbered folder on Unity and thus the editor won't be indexing it and thus deleting the precomutes. Its the same result for unmounting workspaces.

The more files being indexed by the specific editor, the longer it will take to delete precomputes.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Apr 13 2009 11:27 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,980

Bob- I see it on projects that have only captured clips.

Changing the computer name does work, but for how long? I don't want to change computer names several times a week. I only run a 3 suite house and it has been a problem. I can't imagine how people with 15-20 seats will like this. I have just kind of learned to live with it for now. It is just kind of a nuisance, but I would just like to have the old speed back.

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2009 8:06 PM In reply to

Avid apparently is aware of issue.  there is no ETA to when the new release/patch is coming, but it's coming.

right now, we just change the computer name to 'Dailies'.  load the media to the 'Dailies' folder.  scan the database.  then change the name back to 'Editor'.  this keeps the 'Editor' media folder clean of any media files.

• Fri, May 1 2009 4:06 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,980

gepartners:

Avid apparently is aware of issue.  there is no ETA to when the new release/patch is coming, but it's coming.

right now, we just change the computer name to 'Dailies'.  load the media to the 'Dailies' folder.  scan the database.  then change the name back to 'Editor'.  this keeps the 'Editor' media folder clean of any media files.

any updates on this issue?

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 1 2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,262
    • Points 231,870
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Back in the saddle after a week at NAB .....   Finally catching up on the forums.....

The update is that Avid was able to reproduce this with a beta site that brought it up during the testing of 3.5.x.  Last week a build was sent and so far the site is reporting no issues with the speed and unity.  from my earlier discussions with the site - it was most likely a file count issue that was slowing thigns down.  I expect to have good news soon with the release of a fix.  In testing now and then will need to be tested from a downlaod perspective on the DL.  If all goes well... it should be soon.

If anyone gets antsy.... ping me early next week and I can get you an update.  Right now I am behind 1700 emails and the last 2 weeks of forum posts so bug me as I wont be "marianna on the spot" for a few days yet.

Only just an email away....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, May 1 2009 5:50 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,043
    • Points 12,980

Thanks for the update. Hope to see a fix soon.

• Thu, May 7 2009 7:14 AM In reply to

• flicmaker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 395

Wow, I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner.  I have been wracking my brain over this same problem on the PC.  I am not in a unity environment.  For several years now I have just been using network shares to store my media on a server.  It worked great through MC 3.1.2, then when I upgraded to 3.5 and 3.5.1 the slow opens and closes started.

Same set of media works fine from a local drive, but when I attach that drive to the server, share it and open the share on my workstation, Avid goes as slow as molasses.  OMF, MXF, precomps, captured clips, P2.  It reacts the same way to all of it.  I suspect AMA, but even when I turn it off its the same.

I hope there is a point release that address this soon!  I need to be cutting, not chasing tech-phantoms. (GRIN)

• Tue, May 12 2009 7:02 PM In reply to

Yeah, me either. Glad outpostbc forwarded me the link:

Anyone experiencing Project slowness with MC 3.1.2? The same team of assistants and editors had been working on a previous film connected to the same 5.1.1 Unity. Prior to upgrading all of their equipment from HP8400's running adrenaline 2.8.4 and DNX cards pushing DNX36 media, on Unity 5.1.1... They didn't complain about out of the ordinary project slowness. Now since upgrading them to all HP8600's, MC/NitrisDX 3.1.2 they are experiencing this Project slowness. Yesterday I upgraded them to MC 3.1.3 which I was told would help with this. I did see 2 bug fixes in there 1) for Project Memory spikes, and 2) another for slowness toggling in/out of the application. However, the upgrade doesn't seem to have helped them. We are going to try and create a brand new project and drag the bins into it. Fingers crossed that works. I looked into their project yesterday and they're working like a typical film project. They do have a lot of bins and folders - but in fairness the bin sizes are small at this stage. And, I am concerned that when the project progresses will really slow down. I'm hoping that creating a brand new 3.1.3 project and dragging bins into it will help - but would love suggestions, workarounds? Even the knowledge that this is a known issue would be appreciated.  I SEE FROM THESE POSTS TO CREATE NEW COMPUTER NAMES AND DRAG MEDIA INTO NEW COMPUTER MEDIA FOLDERS. I CAN DO THIS, BUT IS IT ONLY TEMPORARY? AND IF SO, IS THERE A NEWER PATCH? Thanks Joe

• Wed, May 20 2009 2:04 AM In reply to

• ayakaonly
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 13 2009
    • Posts 26
    • Points 320

I am also having this problem on my 8600 DX, I am using MC 3.5.1, it takes some time save the project.

but when I am not connected to the MediaDock (which has about 1TB footage in the MXF folder), the speed is ok.

We dont have this issue on the old system (8600 with MC 2.8).

• Wed, May 20 2009 4:14 AM In reply to

• flicmaker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 395

Any developments on this?  Last word was that the problem had been reproduced.  Any chance of a fix?

flicmaker

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 5:53 PM In reply to

Running Symphony Nitris 3.5.1 (PC) on Unity 4.2.3. Having upgraded from 1.7.8 we are seeing the same performance issue with no other changes to the system. Definitiely seems to be a software feature.

4 Systems-> MacPro 5,1 OSX 10.11.6 32GB RAM Nitris DX MC2018.9 | 2 Systems-> MacPro 6,1 OSX 10.11.6 64GB RAM Artist DnxIO MC8.x Avid Nexis 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 21 2009 11:21 AM In reply to

• Howard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 23 2007
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,585

With regard to this issue of slow saving of bins and projects, I would like to share the following observations and workaround. Please note that I am not using Unity but a competitor’s collaborative storage server an am experiencing the same problems.

This problem appears to occur with systems using Mac Avid MC v3.5 and OS10 when utilising networked shared storage. Bins were taking up to 15 secs to save and close. In a normal situation, bins closed almost instantly. I have a client using both MC v3.1.3 and 3.5 on the same server, but only the v3.5 users are affected by slow bin/project saving. Other clients using PC’s do not appear to have this problem.

After several days of tests on different systems, the problem occurs when the number of media files under a particular user name in a shared collaborative project grows and I noticed slow down when the file count approached 2000. From tests, the size and number of bins in a project had minimal contribution towards this problem.

I have in my situation and created two workarounds as follows but please remember I am not working with Unity as mentioned above and cannot confirm whether the rules, permissions, directory and media spaces scenario operates in the same way as my collaborative server does. But hopefully, my suggestions might help others on Unity.

1. The simplest workaround was to create a new user with appropriate access permissions to the project. If for example the original username was Jim, I would create Jim2. Jim2’s file count would now be reset to nil until he started creating new media. However, all collaborating users would still have access to the media originally created by Jim. This method unfortunately will cause a proliferation of usernames which would eventually become tedious to manage. However, it did resolve the problem, albeit temporarily and the bins saved and closed almost instantly…until the file count grows again.

2. I created a dummy user called for example “speedy.” I ensured that this user had all the appropriate access permissions to the project media and project areas. I then MOVED all media files under the other usernames to this “speedy” user. Now all users have no files under their names but still have access to the files now under “speedy.” I ensured that the MOVED files had the correct permissions attributes utilizing a function in the collaborative server I am using.

When other users now login, they will obviously get a database rebuild because their original media files are no longer where they used to be, but they will still have access to hem via the collaborative “speedy” user. You will now find that once again, bins will save and close instantly.

I must stress that the foregoing is based on tests I have carried out on different systems in conjunction with experiences passed on to me by several users and I can say that this problem appears to affect Mac Avid MC v3.5 on OSX using shared network storage not limited to Unity. Local network storage did not seem to create this problem. It would be interesting to find out if MC v4.0 has solved this problem.

If anyone would like more info or contribute please feel free to contact me via the forum or direct at howard@avintelligence.co.nz

Howard Kramer

Avid Editor - Senior Support Engineer

AV Intelligence

Auckland, New Zealand

HPZ400, 16GBRam. MCv8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]

Howard Kramer

Avid Editor / System Support Engineer

AV Intelligence - Auckland, New Zealand

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller