Latest post Wed, Oct 21 2009 11:21 AM by Howard. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:21 PM

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2006
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

Slow opening and closing of projects

Since 3.5 upgrade, it takes forever to open and close projects. This is the case with the most simple projects. Do others have this issue?

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

Re: Slow opening and closing of projects

I am interested in

Is it slow initially opening a new project created in 3.5?

Is it slow the second time you open an old projects from previous versions after you have first opened them (slowly in 3.5) and saved them with 3.5?

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:38 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

AndrewAction:

Is it slow initially opening a new project created in 3.5?

Is it slow the second time you open an old projects from previous versions after you have first opened them (slowly in 3.5) and saved them with 3.5?

It is slow all around. I just created a new test project in 3.5 with 3 bins. This new project is slow to open and close. When closing, it closes so slow you can watch it close out each of the bins.

Media Composer Nitris DX 2018.8 with Symphony option Win10 64Gb Ram * Media Composer 8.8 with Symphony option Nitris DX Dual 2.66GHz "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:48 PM In reply to

That would be a problem if others are have similar experiences. Do you do a Save all before closing projects?

Have you tried a new user setting to see if the problem still exists in that situation?

(Have not been enthused to do the 3.5 upgrade yet)

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 7:57 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

Tried new user and no difference. I usually just close the project without a save all. I tried a save all before closing but still closed slow.

• Thu, Mar 12 2009 11:43 PM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 84
    • Points 1,125

We have the same problem here and have discovered that the slow saves are relative to the media databases owned by the specific machine.  We are connected to Unity and found that if all the drives are unmounted then the bins save fast.

We then remounted the unity drives and moved all the media created by my machine (in a MXF media folder called Avid 01 Mac.1) into another edit suite's folder - Avid 02 Mac.1.  After moving all the media my bins save fast again.

NB, this is all assuming the edit suite which you move the media files to is a 3.1.x or earlier system otherwise that edit suite will also be slow.

I definitely think that the problem is related to large media databases -- the more media you create, the slower it is to save bins.  I can open the project on a MC3.1.2 and the bins save fast so it seems to be a problem specific to 3.5.  

• Fri, Mar 13 2009 10:24 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

I confirm the same thing. With no unity drives mounted things save as they would normally. It only happens when connected to unity drives.

Anyone else run 3.5 and connect to unity have this issue?

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 3:00 PM In reply to

• Mark Renz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO
    • Posts 1,040
    • Points 12,945

bump

• Wed, Mar 25 2009 5:06 PM In reply to

• astuart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 25 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I've been experiencing this issue to.  If you are on a Unity (ours is a 4.2.4) and mac Symphony Nitris (MC as well) try giving your system a new name under System Prefs>Sharing.  I troubleshot this all last night after we upgraded about 10-15 mac bays.  Some users weren't having the issues, others had an extreme case of slow bin saving/project opening/opening bins. 

We initially thought it was that we upgraded unity client version to 5.1.2 but we downgraded back to 5.1 as a test with the same result.  Created a new project and it was still slow.  Local projects were normal and fast. 

Hope this helps.

Adam

• Wed, Mar 25 2009 7:14 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

I have seen slowness like this when a (specific) bay's project settings are corrupt.  I can't come up with any reason why every new project you create will have corrupt settings, but this is what I do know.

Each bay (on the unity) has its own folder in every project named after that bay's computer name.  In that folder (those folders, actually...they exist in every sub-folder that the bay has opened a bin from), exist that specific bay's project settings.  When bins open/close slowly, I usually just trash those folders (making sure noone hid any bins in them).

With you working fine with your projects locally, that means to me it's something specific with the unity.  That's the first thing I'd look at...those bay folders.  Opening a project locally ignores those folders.  ...also, renaming the computer (as suggested above) does almost the same thing--it causes the "corrupt" folders to then be ignored, and causes new folders (from the computer's new name) to be created and used.

I hope that helps narrow the search field for you some...or maybe it's something prevalent that Avid needs to address...

I don't know from 3.5 yet, we haven't upgraded enough bays yet to get an idea of how it's working.

~Hammer

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• Cirrus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 1 2006
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Same problem with our Nitris DX machines.

If you have a huge number of files in the connected storage,

it takes up to 40 sec to open a new bin. Closing a project

with 6 open bins is 6-8 minutes.

Disconnect the storage and you are back to normal behaviour.

Doesn't matter if the storage is local or a Unity - the more files,

the slower it gets.

Fortunately rollback to 3.1 worked and we are back in business.

Hope there is a fix soon, I really liked AMA...

3 x Nitris DX PC 4 x Adrenaline PC 2 x Mojo MAC [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 9 2009 5:14 PM In reply to

• astuart
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I've called avid and this is their response.  Work Around included.

http://www.avid.com/cgi/kbase-redir.aspx?p_faqid=77944&p_created=1238526759&p_sid=-OdOzVuj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjgsMjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PTMuNSB1bml0eQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

• AvidHammer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 13 2006
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,925

Here's the above link truncated. 

It basically just says to change the computer name, thereby ignoring the project settings in the bay folder. 

Question, though, is 3.5 definitely worse than 3.1?  I've seen it happening with any version of 3 so far, but haven't gotten around to 3.5 yet.  I just don't know if it's that much worse.

~Hammer

• Thu, Apr 9 2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• astuart
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I had clients on 3.1.1 and they upgraded to 3.5.  They experienced the slowness in only a few bays on 3.5.  They had been fine on 3.1.1 since the show started several months ago. 

Has anyone confirmed that 10.5.6 has this issue as well?  We were running 10.5.5 with 3.5. 

• Fri, Apr 10 2009 5:09 PM In reply to

Just wondering if anyone had any breakthroughs with this issue. 

i am working on a show that has 6- 8-Core Intel Mac Avid Nitris DX systems version 3.5 connected to unity version 4.2.4 with unity clients on version 5.1.1

editors do NOT want to go back to version 3.1.2 as it will be over a year long project and they want to be on the latest software.

The systems that start getting this issue are the systems that are bringing in the dailies.  Changing the computer name does fix it temporarily, but we can't continue to be renaming computer names every couple of days.

it's definitely something related to the mxf folders filling up.  it's as if everytime you open/close bins and project, it rescans all the databases related to the computer.

i've tried everything,

upgrade to version 3.5.1, unity client to version 5.1.2, maintenance

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller