Latest post Fri, Mar 6 2009 8:27 AM by DylanReeve. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 6 2009 12:09 AM

Canon 5D Mark II Workflow??

I just got my new 5D mark II the other day, and wanted to figure out a good workflow with avid.

I tried importing a few clips and wow does those clips take up some space. I think there is something wrong, for example the original mov file would be 300mb and once i imported it into avid the file was 700mb... why is it taking some much space?

Anyway i wanted to start a thread to share different work flow ideas. So if any of you have any ideas or things i should try... please post them here.

Thanks!

www.earthtoswift.com

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Mar 6 2009 8:27 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Canon 5D Mark II Workflow??

I haven't used the 5D at all, but basically it's because Avid won't support whatever codec they camera is using natively and it must be recompressed into a format Avid works with.

I'd guess the 5D is using an MPEG4 variant for it's comrpession, which is heavily compressed and can utilise interframe compression, frame reordering and feature-specific compression - none of which are really conducive to editing.

So while it's 300MB in whatever codec Canon uses, it's 700MB in whatever format you're importing to in Avid.

As for workflow, like I said I haven't used it, but if the direct import to Avid doesn't perform well, then my next port of call would be FFMpeg which can decode a large variety of video codecs and has the abillity to write Avid DNxHD video. It was the process many Sony EX1 users were using before there was a way to get the footage into Avid.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller